Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The Met Office Wind Map is suggesting the peak for gusts has now past and should VERY gradually start to reduce by 3 or 4 mph between 15.00 and 18.00, but have reduced by 12 mph (from the peak) by 21.00.

15.00 56b8bac6506db_WindGustMap15.00.thumb.jpg 18.00 56b8bad2bc4e4_WindGustMap18.00.thumb.jpg

Here's the webpage. Move the slider for time slots... http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/wind-map#?tab=map&map=GustSpeed&zoom=7&lon=-2.27&lat=51.66&fcTime=1454900400

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

School run was fun - rain seemed to time it perfectly for parents waiting in the playground. 

Didn't see much damage other than a few branches down and a bin in a hedge but trolls are advised to seek shelter under the nearest bridge :D

Lots of coverage on BBC News for storm impact nationwide, including 12,000 poor sods in the SW without power.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I actually want a power cut here, I have a generator I would like to test out lol

Posted
6 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Don't feed it guys.. It's gagging for food :rofl:

Not being funny, but its hardly been a breeze here.... not sure about where you are with all your reports of downed trees etc but 15 miles further east and its really nothing to note, maybe it will pick up but its been nowhere near as bad as the predictions on both here and the met website

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

Lights where flickering when I got home from work about half an hour ago, had a CRAZY squall line as a heavy shower past through. Gusts today have generally been 40-50mph on and off here but really ramping up whenever a shower passes through, more like 55-60mph in brief but intense periods so all in all a rough day it has certainly been, I just feel grateful that inland areas haven't had the 70-80mph gusts they've had in coastal regions though!

5 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Not being funny, but its hardly been a breeze here.... not sure about where you are with all your reports of downed trees etc but 15 miles further east and its really nothing to note, maybe it will pick up but its been nowhere near as bad as the predictions on both here and the met website

Why my comment earlier I said "I dont understand"

Here just so it's not making it up:

Tree blocking the line between Virginia Water and Ascot

Due to a tree blocking the railway between Virginia Water and Ascot all lines are blocked.

Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 mins or terminated at and started back from Virginia Water.

A tree has fallen between Sunningdale and Ascot.

Both lines are currently blocked until the line is cleared. Staff are en-route to remove the tree, and further update will be provided when they have been able to assess how long it will take to remove.

Customers Holding South West trains ticket holders may use Great Western Railway services on the following routes:

Reading to Guildford for connections at Guildford for South West Trains services to/from London Waterloo, connections at Ash or Guildford for South West Trains services between Guildford & Ascot.

Reading to Basingstoke for connections at Basingstoke for South West Trains services to / from London Waterloo.

Reading to London Paddington (London Underground Bakerloo Line will also accept South West Trains ticket holders between Paddington and Waterloo)

A number of incidents are currently affecting trains and caeusing delays and alterations:

Signalling problem between Wareham and Weymouth

Speed restrictions in Coastal areas

Fallen tree between Martins Heron and Ascot

Fallen tree between Wokingham and Guildford (affecting Great Western Railway) - this may cause knock on delays to our Reading trains.

Fallen tree at Farnborough station - not affecting trains

Fallen tree near railway track at Tisbury station - not affecting trains < Little further afield 

Obstruction near the line at Havant station - not affecting trains < Little further afield 

Also:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/storm-imogen-high-winds-heavy-10855579

All literally a 20 mile radius of my house looks like Surrey took the brunt :rofl:

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
20 hours ago, Daniel* said:

21 hours ago, Daniel* said:

no idea whys its quoting daniel?

Some reports of falling trees in some of the region. Nothing of the sort in Hertfordshire, I’m over the moon that nothing severe happened here. With massive trees to the front of my house I don’t fancy falling trees around here.

I was right with my realistic (non ramp) posts – Just a normal windy day here.

SW England took a hit, as I knew they would.

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Why my comment earlier I said "I dont understand"

Here just so it's not making it up:

Tree blocking the line between Virginia Water and Ascot

Due to a tree blocking the railway between Virginia Water and Ascot all lines are blocked.

Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 mins or terminated at and started back from Virginia Water.

A tree has fallen between Sunningdale and Ascot.

Both lines are currently blocked until the line is cleared. Staff are en-route to remove the tree, and further update will be provided when they have been able to assess how long it will take to remove.

Customers Holding South West trains ticket holders may use Great Western Railway services on the following routes:

Reading to Guildford for connections at Guildford for South West Trains services to/from London Waterloo, connections at Ash or Guildford for South West Trains services between Guildford & Ascot.

Reading to Basingstoke for connections at Basingstoke for South West Trains services to / from London Waterloo.

Reading to London Paddington (London Underground Bakerloo Line will also accept South West Trains ticket holders between Paddington and Waterloo)

Also:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/storm-imogen-high-winds-heavy-10855579

All literally a 20 mile radius of my house 

Mate I'm in Essex about 40 miles east of you and a little bit further north too and at times it's been absolutely crazy here, and I imagine it is even crazier the further south and west you go!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

no idea whys its quoting daniel?

Some reports of falling trees in some of the region. Nothing of the sort in Hertfordshire, I’m over the moon that nothing severe happened here. With massive trees to the front of my house I don’t fancy falling trees around here.

I was right with my realistic (non ramp) posts – Just a normal windy day here.

SW England took a hit, as I knew they would.

MetO told everyone your area wouldn't be getting much of Imogen, so I'd be surprised if anyone had ramped for Herts. The same can't be said for elsewhere in the SE, and none of it's comparable to the SW.

• Like 1

Posted

Reporting from the far East of the County.

Its wild out there and seems it has only just begun, or at least over here, was out a short while ago and it was chilly but relatively calm, now the wind is starting to gust.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Surrey said:

At least now it looks like im not making it up :rofl: Mum confirmed fallen tree on car on A30 

Can't say I've noticed much significant damage like trees down or roof tiles etc... but I'd be amazed if there isn't somewhere in my region, I did notice a few fence panels blown in on my travels at work!  50-60mph gusts this far inland aren't that common.

Posted
11 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Not being funny, but its hardly been a breeze here....

It's hardly been a breeze here either :D

My composter is on its side on the other side of the garden, doing a passable impersonation of a felled dalek. I'm going to go out on a limb and put that down to the wind rather than it fainting.

Posted

It looks as if there has been some issues, however certainly not a historical storm, or anything like what some were predicting.

Perhaps if people could just admit they were wrong instead of trying to justify their remarks by bringing up some isolated incidents, people wouldn't get so annoyed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat
11 minutes ago, AdamStorm7891 said:

Mate I'm in Essex about 40 miles east of you and a little bit further north too and at times it's been absolutely crazy here, and I imagine it is even crazier the further south and west you go!

Yes and I live just down the road from Upminster in Ockendon and can vouch for the horrendous jams caused by the bridge being shut!   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

In the weather forecast on BBC News just now, John Hammond said storm Imogen "was peaking in the SE about now".

4 minutes ago, ihatecoldweather said:

It looks as if there has been some issues, however certainly not a historical storm, or anything like what some were predicting.

Perhaps if people could just admit they were wrong instead of trying to justify their remarks by bringing up some isolated incidents, people wouldn't get so annoyed.

:rofl: Virginia water tree down right now thats 10,000s of people delayed and school kids, it's a connecting line to Weybridge too.

The problem is, it may not look like anything in your back yard, but a storm doesn't effect just your garden, it effects regions! I wouldn't say I was picking out events, but just like you are saying it is nothing in your area, it has here.. That's the nature of weather!

Would like to add also local station had winds sustained for a period of time at 36mph thats bloody impressive for West London!!! 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat
2 hours ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Yes and as stated yesterday cancelled a meeting over in Essex as guessed the closure of the Dartford Bridge and the tunnels will be chaos, it's crazy at the best of times that place! But am lucky most of the time can work and play in the office :) perks of working for myself I guess (Freelancer).

Good move! The traffic is certainly at a standstill on this side! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

:rofl: Virginia water tree down right now thats 10,000s of people delayed and school kids, it's a connecting line to Weybridge too.

The problem is, it may not look like anything in your back yard, but a storm doesn't effect just your garden, it effects regions! I wouldn't say I was picking out events, but just like you are saying it is nothing in your area, it has here.. That's the nature of weather!

I would say, other than a few isolated incidents in peoples back gardens, judging by this forum on the whole across region the general feeling is that this was over hyped.

Just now, ihatecoldweather said:

I would say, other than a few isolated incidents in peoples back gardens, judging by this forum on the whole across region the general feeling is that this was over hyped.

Don't think so, have a look on line now on BBC local news stations the Further West you go more and more problems... Nobody ever stated a burns day storm or hurricane! 

50-60mph winds < check

70-80mph in exposure < check

poss 90mph really really exposed < check

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Don't think so, have a look on line now on BBC local news stations the Further West you go more and more problems... Nobody ever stated a burns day storm or hurricane! 

50-60mph winds < check

70-80mph in exposure < check

poss 90mph really really exposed < check

I was talking about our region, and so were you until you realised that this was not a significant event in the South East.

As I proved earlier, people were saying that this could get close to 1987.

Perhaps the wind will pick up now, but if not, this is nothing substantially worse for the South East than other events this winter.

Posted
22 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

MetO told everyone your area wouldn't be getting much of Imogen, so I'd be surprised if anyone had ramped for Herts. The same can't be said for elsewhere in the SE, and none of it's comparable to the SW.

I would not say that to be truthful clearly GFS overestimated the wind speeds in hindsight I'd should have stuck to the high res models like the ARPEGE a short strong burst of wind just now.

*wrong quote sorry

Edited by Daniel*

1 minute ago, ihatecoldweather said:

I was talking about our region, and so were you until you realised that this was not a significant event in the South East.

As I proved earlier, people were saying that this could get close to 1987.

Perhaps the wind will pick up now, but if not, this is nothing substantially worse for the South East than other events this winter.

Appreciate that, but HERE in my area this has been the worst this winter by far.. That said, it will be different 15 miles up the road!