Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
3 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

So those that contribute to this thread almost Daily regarding the outputs and take time to post some really informative stuff rather than one liner balderdash and moaning, .............where and who gave any indication this would be another 1987?

Exactly what I was thinking...I was in and out of the thread for most of yesterday, as I am when there is a significant event looming and I cannot remember anybody mentioning 1987, maybe wrong , but cannot recall it? ........ 1987 was an entirely different kettle of fish to Imogen, although she is still significant in her own right!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

You seem to be mis interpretating my view on Imogen. Just go back through my posts and you will clearly see I'm not disappointed. I've been fighting my corner to suggest that nothing 'very severe' for my area will come of this. I hate windy weather as much as mild mush rain, therefore I will do what I can to put some realism against the over optimistic posts of a 87' style event etc. So how did I ever believe what I read? 

The very fact that it's 1:30pm and from what I can see or hear, nothing severe has happened in my location, is music to my ears.. Yes I might get a few hours over 50mph gusts but so what..an average windy day!  Would you prefer I jumped on the wind ramp with nothing to back it up. 

If my area gets destroyed this afternoon like some were predicting yesterday I'll be the first to come on here and admit I was wrong. 

Until then I'll keep some reality in check.

Also I never said it would not be noteworthy for your location. I'm talking about and referring to my location when posting. 

fyi - BBC London and other local news in their news bulletins, has no mention of Imogen, so maybe my back up is right there! 

Well, if you knew all along that this was going to be one big non-event why interupt a thread of chat about current conditions and observations with a moan about this being a non-event. Nothing wrong on reporting on what's happening in your location but don't make it sound like yours is the only place that matters. Which is how it comes across. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
6 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

fyi - BBC London and other local news in their news bulletins, has no mention of Imogen, so maybe my back up is right there! 

Just to let you know BBC South East Today have been mentioning Storm Imogen and stating up to 75mph along the South Coast...as per the Meto Amber.

Edit: Starting to Rain here

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

I know, I keep telling myself that it'll just be a normal storm but this one feels different. That "otherness" which, looking back, I can remember on the eve of the 1987. Maybe I've just had too much red wine though. 

I totally resonate. Occasionally it's a constant roar. It makes me want to stay up to see what happens. I doubt if it will be like 87 (if it is no doubt I'll wake up) but I know what you mean by feeling it could possibly become close

This is on top of the countless over estimations of 70+ inland.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

You seem to be mis interpretating my view on Imogen. Just go back through my posts and you will clearly see I'm not disappointed. I've been fighting my corner to suggest that nothing 'very severe' for my area will come of this. I hate windy weather as much as mild mush rain, therefore I will do what I can to put some realism against the over optimistic posts of a 87' style event etc. So how did I ever believe what I read? 

The very fact that it's 1:30pm and from what I can see or hear, nothing severe has happened in my location, is music to my ears.. Yes I might get a few hours over 50mph gusts but so what..an average windy day!  Would you prefer I jumped on the wind ramp with nothing to back it up. 

If my area gets destroyed this afternoon like some were predicting yesterday I'll be the first to come on here and admit I was wrong. 

Until then I'll keep some reality in check.

Also I never said it would not be noteworthy for your location. I'm talking about and referring to my location when posting. 

we never said that Imogen was going to make the headlines. it is noteable for a number of different reasons not just because it didn't make the news. roofs need to come off other damage needs to be caused on a wider scale so I am not sure how you can expect it to be news worthy.

The point is that it is very imbyism in here and that is the way of it. we all report on how it is either as it is or as we see it.

question Ben why is a few gusts over 50mph not enough for you to be a momentous storm?

Posted
1 minute ago, ihatecoldweather said:

Mere speculation and banter. That's a pretty weak example if you're trying to suggest that I was actually saying it would definitely be a really bad storm. I assume you've got time to find some better examples. 

Anyway, back to the weather in hand.

Posted

OH I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad..... can we all just not get on!!! :nonono:

Rain has just arrived here.... although tbh the wind seems to have died down a little!!! 

Edit ...... No it hasnt I just nearly took off with that gust lol

Edited by Flash Elvis

Posted

added to that some people report excitedly some see it as defined reporting what they felt last night for example enormous wid storm thunder and lightnening torrential rain, reported as we felt it.

Posted
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Highest gust here now 64mph

I'd imagine the Channel is a bumpy ride :) 

Having spent almost £2k couple years back on new fencing I for one am happy it's less forceful here :) 

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
2 minutes ago, Flash Elvis said:

Are you in an under ground bunker or something lol 

Im actually quite high up, just a normal blustery winters day here :)

Posted

one thing does make me laugh is at times over the last 7 days as has previously been mentioned by @Kent Blizzard and @Surrey these wind speeds were possible and have only ever really reported on wot the images and wind speed predictions have been.

I cant remember a time when we have been ramping just telling in an excited way as to what has been happening.

I cant quote until I get out of work as in a big building and I can only watch the trees move lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmyh said:

one thing does make me laugh is at times over the last 7 days as has previously been mentioned by @Kent Blizzard and @Surrey these wind speeds were possible and have only ever really reported on wot the images and wind speed predictions have been.

I cant remember a time when we have been ramping just telling in an excited way as to what has been happening.

I cant quote until I get out of work as in a big building and I can only watch the trees move lol

Appreciate the mention and likes! :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

@ihatecoldweather you do realise one of the quotes you've used actually contradicts the claim that people were saying it'd be as bad as '87? :D

"I doubt if it will be like 87..."

Pretty damn blowy here.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Jimmyh said:

Exactly Anyone that in here last Monday/Tuesday ( go check the posts ) would of seen that we was looking at this event back then, not just jump on this thread when the event is here, very easy for those to give it the billy big time on the day.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

A few mentions of 87 on pages 13/14/15 i think

the first mention was from @Wivenswold which can be taken with a pinch of salt surely. as he finishes the comment Too much red wine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, Kent Blizzard said:

@vivenswold

Well, if you knew all along that this was going to be one big non-event why interupt a thread of chat about current conditions and observations with a moan about this being a non-event. Nothing wrong on reporting on what's happening in your location but don't make it sound like yours is the only place that matters. Which is how it comes across. 

So what your saying is just because I like to keep realistic and not join in and make ridiculous comparisons on a 87' style event i shouldn't come onto this thread?

Im a weather enthusiastic but not a blind one. 

Sounds like your the one who is disappointed!

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

@vivenswold

So what your saying is just because I like to keep realistic and not join in and make ridiculous comparisons on a 87' style event i shouldn't come onto this thread?

Im a weather enthusiastic but not a blind one. 

Sounds like your the one who is disappointed!

What are you babbling on about? who said a non event? it is an event? Areas of the South East are experiencing strong gusts and will continue to do so, we are a couple of hours in for goodness sake.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
17 minutes ago, ihatecoldweather said:

Let me tell you, at no point did I think it would be akin to 1987.  It was a mere feeling that it was going to be pretty rough out there today bearing in mind I had not experience wind and rain like I did last night in many years.  It was foreboding.  A feeling.  And I stated that VERY clearly.

Above all that, it was banter.  Read again before you misquote me.

The past couple of hours here have been painful to read all because people jump on and twist other peoples quotes.  Zzzzzzzz

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
4 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

@ihatecoldweather you do realise one of the quotes you've used actually contradicts the claim that people were saying it'd be as bad as '87? :D

"I doubt if it will be like 87..."

Pretty damn blowy here.

Thank you.

• Like 1