Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

No there wasnt, but this thread last night would have you believe that 60/70mph widely over region.

I mean according to some members on this thread i was suppose have a treacherous drive into work this morning, nothing of sort. Sunshine with a stiff breeze greeted me at 8am. Although in their defense it did seem strongest wind times differed overnight

Im still sticking with BBC. 70MPH possible south of London. Areas to north of London having a very windy day with strong gale force gusts but nothing unusual.

That alone is quite unusual imvho

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Honestly jokes aside bud, there is a cow standing in a field, I think you would argue it's more black than white or more white than black :rofl:

Honestly jokes aside bud, there is a shower over the field, I think you would argue its more of a thunderstorm than a drizzle shower. Our versions of extreme weather are very different. Thats all.

Posted

Anyway when we get this very windy day out the way shall we start looking into the snow possibility for next Sunday/Monday? ;):) 

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Honestly jokes aside bud, there is a shower over the field, I think you would argue its more of a thunderstorm than a drizzle shower. Our versions of extreme weather are very different. Thats all.

:rofl: I would, just to whined you up, you've left the door wide open now :rofl: I am cruel... :girl_devil:

On a side note, it's raining, mad flash flooding and I just saw a pig float down in it!

Edited by Surrey

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

No there wasnt, but this thread last night would have you believe that 60/70mph widely over region.

I mean according to some members on this thread i was suppose have a treacherous drive into work this morning, nothing of sort. Sunshine with a stiff breeze greeted me at 8am. Although in their defense it did seem strongest wind times differed overnight

Im still sticking with BBC. 70MPH possible south of London. Areas to north of London having a very windy day with strong gale force gusts but nothing unusual.

Well I've been keeping a very close eye on this thread and, aside from the occasional optimistic wind-lover, everyone appears to have been on-message about the strength of this storm and where the worst areas would be. 

This afternoon's rush-hour was always forecast to be the worst of the two. Perhaps using your expertise you could challenge all of these errant posters you speak about with your own forecast of the situation? Then you can manage your own expectations and those of others instead of getting in a huff because you believed what you read without question and are now disappointed. 

Worth also pointing out that here on the coast in Essex we've already lost our train service to this storm and it's not progged to peak for another 3 hours. So for us it is bad already. 

Edited by Wivenswold
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Wivenswold said:

Well I've been keeping a very close eye on this thread and, aside from the occasional optimistic wind-lover, everyone appears to have been on-message about the strength of this storm and where the worst areas would be. 

This afternoon's rush-hour was always forecast to be the worst of the two. Perhaps using your expertise you could challenge all of these errant posters you speak about with your own forecast of the situation? They you can manage your own expectations and those of others instead of getting in a huff because you believed what you read without question and are now disappointed. 

Worth also pointing out that here on the coast in Essex we've already lost our train service to this storm and it's not progged to peak for another 3 hours. So for us it is bad already. 

A well worded comment . I don't like reading comments where people say 'it didn't rain hard enough, its not windy enough' etc etc.  Some people are going to have bad consequences to suffer from this weather, perhaps keep that in my when moaning you didn't get your quota 

Posted

This is what the GFS 6z has for me:

image.thumb.png.d09462016fe76f91460f8dbe

IMBY gusts in the mid to high 60's are highly unusual being not far from the city of London. It does dwarf anything I've seen for a number of years.....therefore it is notable. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, madmunch said:

A well worded comment . I don't like reading comments where people say 'it didn't rain hard enough, its not windy enough' etc etc.  Some people are going to have bad consequences to suffer from this weather, perhaps keep that in my when moaning you didn't get your quota 

:hi::friends:

Exactly right, I was reading this morning about a house in Brighton that partly collapsed in high winds last night, I think the majority of sensible people would breath a huge sigh of relief if the winds turn out not as strong as outputs are/were showing, At present nothing suggests they will be calmer later.

Anyway when can we talk snow for Valentines :yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

You sound a bit bitter about something? Not sure why, 70mph gusts are certainly not usual in SE England and something to bear in mind while travelling. No, it won't be 1987 but there'll be some structural damage and trees down no doubt. Already very gusty here and the squall last night did damage and led to power outages. It's good to be aware and I'd rather have too many warnings than none.

• Like 6

Posted
23 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

This afternoon's rush-hour was always forecast to be the worst of the two. Perhaps using your expertise you could challenge all of these errant posters you speak about with your own forecast of the situation? Then you can manage your own expectations and those of others instead of getting in a huff because you believed what you read without question and are now disappointed. 

Only thing i will say about the local Clacton line is that we all know Greater Anglia will pull any service at a breath of wind or a slight snow event :wallbash:

Everybody will feel the affects differently so why all the moaning lads & lasses........ its a weather event lets embrace it, enjoy it and talk about it.... not gfuqhgfpjh... we are becoming the Model thread :wallbash:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Brutal....

That set aside, looks really wet this afternoon! Radar not pretty

Bad day to pick to go up the allotment lol...have this week off work. Tomorrow better hopefully. The wind is gusting very strongly here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flash Elvis said:

Looks pretty colours to me all reds and yellows :bomb:

Certainly does look wet! Bristol channel pumping showers out!

4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Bad day to pick to go up the allotment lol...have this week off work. Tomorrow better hopefully. The wind is gusting very strongly here.

I use to have an allotment! But we just couldn't manage it, have a massive garden now too so grow a lot at home :D Willbe better tomorrow, but a lot cooler!

• Like 1

A warning is given out in weather situations to help ppl ... It may be that some are lucky enough to not have to worry about the "warnings" I find it very helpful and tie things down in the garden , pop round and see my neighbors who are elderly and see if there are anything they need as they are unable to go out in windy,snowy weather . Please also spare a thought for poor teenagers whom may have to go without Internet if the electricity lines go down :rofl: as that's all mine are worried about ! Actually no I take that back ! Spare a thought for parents with teens who can't live without the net ! 

Very windy here , temp dropping but have got a clue on wind speed or temps as I'm useless at all that and leave it up to the experienced members in here :)

• Like 2

Posted

RE all those who have posted the usual "well it's different for everyone, better more warnings than not enough"

Of course there will be isolated incidence however some on this forum last night were predicting another 1987. That kind of comparison  is very dangerous for the future, as when a severe storm that affects a large area comes, people will not expect it - they will expect just 'isolated incidents'.

• Like 1

Posted

The Meto at present are on the Money regarding the warnings Yellow/Amber.

When you look at the recordings coming in from those in the Amber zone it's forecast is going as expected and will strengthen as the afternoon progresses, 

Posted
13 minutes ago, ihatecoldweather said:

RE all those who have posted the usual "well it's different for everyone, better more warnings than not enough"

Of course there will be isolated incidence however some on this forum last night were predicting another 1987. That kind of comparison  is very dangerous for the future, as when a severe storm that affects a large area comes, people will not expect it - they will expect just 'isolated incidents'.

That's fair enough, any comparisons with this storm and 1987 are way off the mark (I witnessed 1987 and will never forget it). Let's see what the situation is after Imogen has passed, can't really comment until then about warnings being accurate etc.

Posted

So those that contribute to this thread almost Daily regarding the outputs and take time to post some really informative stuff rather than one liner balderdash and moaning, .............where and who gave any indication this would be another 1987?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
45 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

You seem to be mis interpretating my view on Imogen. Just go back through my posts and you will clearly see I'm not disappointed. I've been fighting my corner to suggest that nothing 'very severe' for my area will come of this. I hate windy weather as much as mild mush rain, therefore I will do what I can to put some realism against the over optimistic posts of a 87' style event etc. So how did I ever believe what I read? 

The very fact that it's 1:30pm and from what I can see or hear, nothing severe has happened in my location, is music to my ears.. Yes I might get a few hours over 50mph gusts but so what..an average windy day!  Would you prefer I jumped on the wind ramp with nothing to back it up. 

If my area gets destroyed this afternoon like some were predicting yesterday I'll be the first to come on here and admit I was wrong. 

Until then I'll keep some reality in check.

Also I never said it would not be noteworthy for your location. I'm talking about and referring to my location when posting. 

fyi - BBC London and other local news in their news bulletins, has no mention of Imogen, so maybe my back up is right there! 

• Like 1