Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted

The 6z NetWx (NMM) model certainly likes the idea of switching a lot of the band to a rain/sleet/snow mix on Wednesday night, but in terms of accumulating snow isn't getting too excited at this point! 

prectype.thumb.png.6a22365ac338bf7e4a95a accumsnow.thumb.png.b6d089da85ad11ed4efa

As has already been said though, loads of uncertainty in terms of the details of how this'll play out at this point. 

• Like 4

Posted
42 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

It's like weather pinball this week with that front, isn't it!!

Now I've been reading how it's all going to "back-edge" snow and no front-edge, but can we be sure of that?? I'm noticing this morning a trend to bring colder 850s back towards the SE, especially as the front stalls. Many ECM postage stamps have the -6C 850hpa mark very close to the SE, if not over it - as well as approching from the west.

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!72!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2016021500!!/

Yes the colder 850's move back nw as the shortwave develops towards the Channel. The models though show no sign at the moment of trying to develop snow ahead of the precip for the UK.

I think the shortwave would need to form a more nw/se orientation as this would then see a more se flow ahead of that precip. It looks more s/ssw surface flow at the moment ahead of the precip.

Interestingly MeteoFrance do have some snow developing for northern France late Wed into early Thursday and that would be ahead of the front, of course theres not the Channel sea track to worry about in this case but it does show that there will be some decent surface cold to tap into.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Latest 12z GFS has the front as a rain only affair everywhere ....i fear the biggest let down of a winter full of let downs is imminent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm not sure it does actually, looks like snow to me?

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

Latest 12z GFS has the front as a rain only affair everywhere ....i fear the biggest let down of a winter full of let downs is imminent.

really?????????????

gfs-2-66.png?12

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

No let down as said before was always likely to be a rain event wouldn't get to down me old chicken can still get snow between now and end of March 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!
3 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

That is not the case at all. Definitely a wintry mix as Wednesday night cracks on. The Arpege seems to have the mix slightly further east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

Rain to snow

12_75_preciptype.png

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

Not sure what's being expected here, but even the snowier model runs have been indicating wet snow/sleet for the majority, so if there's an expectation of much more than that, particularly away from higher ground, I think you've every chance of feeling let down regardless. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Interestingly the GFS actually delivers a dusting of snow to parts of East Anglia on the front edge of the front, the front then stalls delivering 1-2 inches across central/southern England.

81-780UK.GIF?15-12

Not to be taken too seriously though at this point. But it illustrates that the run is not showing an all rain event.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=48&mode=2

i had just looked at this when i posted ...perhaps i should of waited for a few more frames.

gfs-2-48.png

Edited by chicken soup
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Interestingly the GFS actually delivers a dusting of snow to parts of East Anglia on the front edge of the front, the front then stalls delivering 1-2 inches across central/southern England.

81-780UK.GIF?15-12

Not to be taken too seriously though at this point. But it illustrates that the run is not showing an all rain event.

I mentioned this in my post this morning   Ref cambridgeshire etc ( getting snow )

the updated UKMO shows a shallow system over the SE at T72 with low heights & probable snow

I think the models are underplaying the forward edge potential....

s

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

Looking as if it is going to stay more west and stay as rain for most of the south:nonono:

prectypeuktopo.png

south east, I think you mean......................looks rather wintry elsewhere across England.......anyhoos, eye's down for the full house, sorry GooFuS12z, lets see what it giveth and taketh away :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

Looking as if it is going to stay more west and stay as rain for most of the south:nonono:

prectypeuktopo.png

Am I missing something here? That chart shows mainly snow lol. Although I wouldn't be taking any of it as gospel. Very knife edge, almost nowcast situation 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Im a little confused here.. the BBC has my area down as snow all day Wednesday and dry but cold all day Thursday... but models showing the snow for Thursday not Wednesday....

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

I honestly feel you need to look at the GFS output a little more closely as others below your post have suggested. It is also useful for others reading posts to drop the relevant charts in that you are referring to.

thanks

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I honestly feel you need to look at the GFS output a little more closely as others below your post have suggested. It is also useful for others reading posts to drop the relevant charts in that you are referring to.

thanks

i have explained my error in a new post....the 48hr GfS precip chart showed all rain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
8 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

waste of snow Really as it is Showing Rain Before it turns to snow  on the  Gfs Charts so It is going to be Wet snow. So it probably wont lye anywhere:angry: 

Not neccesarily the case, a few years back a low pressure system sat over CS England for a few hours giving rain, the intensity picked up of which the precipitation turned to snow, and it stuck on every surface! As long as the ground surfaces are cold enough, we can all hope!:)

• Like 4

Posted

A flake would be Amazing, Lying snow would be too much to ask.... surely!

Looking at the last few runs though there is a chance over the midlands to see some snow. All dependent on mixing out the warm sector and as others have mentioned the intensity of the evaporative ecooling effect to see it to low levels.

Posted

There is clearly a chance of snow falling and potentially sticking in lucky areas ( not huge amounts)

It also appears that there will be a large precipitation total for the period Wednesday / Thursday across large parts of the country where the ground is still saturated after a wet winter thus far 

Edited by kev238

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
1 hour ago, chicken soup said:

Don't worry we have all made mistakes as we learn, the front at first is expected to be rain but with back edge snow as the colder air mixes in a very unusual set up and one that is to close to call. 12z stays with theme from this morning of sleet and snow Wednesday night into Thursday morning for central England and East Anglia. 

• Like 1