Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted

I think the main concern at this moment is the possible damaging winds on Sunday / Monday in the south. The cold is not important at the moment. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 hours ago, Fozfoster said:

Hi BFTP, this winter it always seems to be 9-10 days away!! :(

I should have said and agree that ECM is a reasonable run throughout but looks very interesting days 8+.  The problem is we have a nice runner come Sat/Sun but the resident trough to our north prevents real cold air being in place thus its almost a wasted runner just being wet and very windy.  Very much an issue for this segment of the NH

With the potential volatility coming our way we cannot pinpoint a particular run though, but stormy for sure and I think we'll be getting many more weather warnings ahead.

I agree with Gibby's round up

That was to save reposting it but it's got splashed all over this page now anyway. 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Just an observation but all this talk and seeking cold misses the potential severity of the weather that lies ahead. While the models all point to a period of damaging winds and heavy rain it hardly gets a mention here lost within the tedious hunt for a flake of snow. It's model output discussion and every weather type should be discussed in equal measure. This is the UK and cold is and always has been relatively rare even in Winter and with such a powerful Jet Stream at the moment some very interesting storm systems that could cause major disruption late in the weekend and early next week should mean there be more important things to discuss rather than snow. If these major storm systems are still shown in a couple of days expect early warnings to be issued and certainly not just for the North.

Very true, Martin. There still seems to be a lot of uncertainty over the weekend's storms and their exact track.

gfs-0-126.png?6

GFS 06Z Op output for Sunday showing perhaps the worst of the immediate conditions for the usual suspects (central belt of Scotland) but plenty of time for that to change and for secondary features to develop further south.

As we are where we are, it would be remiss of me to point out there were once again a lot of cold options among the GFS 00Z members this morning and a number showing the PV shredded or sent off to Hudson Bay so there's a lot going on up there at present  with any number of possibilities (including west-based negative NAO) on the table as we move toward the middle of the month.

• Like 4

Posted

With the jet stream heading south the severe gales/ storm risk comes with it not looking good especially Saturday onwards some named storms likely and affecting an higher amount of the U.K. Population. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z shows more polar maritime influence next week as the jet takes a more southerly track so polar air increasingly into the mix, especially further north and there is a chance of snow at times and not exclusively for upland areas. There are also some calmer interludes with night frosts but also some very stormy spells...No towel being thrown from me yet!:)

h850t850eu.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

h850t850eu (1).png

h850t850eu (2).png

prectypeuktopo (2).png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

I, for one, am concerned about these storms given their effect on me as well as others. The one I am most concerned about is this, as below. Being overnight I doubt I'll be able to sleep, with added noise and vibration. 2013-14 was the absolute nadir, I managed to travel away from some of the worst of it over Christmas but spare a thought for those who are 'trapped'!

This, for example. I'd even endure 30 degree heat for a week than have this again.

126-289UK.GIF?02-6

Edited by ukpaul
Map wasn't visible
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Nice to see Fergie using 'volatile' as well. nothing else to describe  it better really.

I'm going to use a blend of 2 runs here to show that it's still too difficult to define detail yet.

00z

airpressure.png

now if we go that with trough to NNE aligned better to bring colder air furthe south and more widely than 06z at that point and then had a runner like 06z

airpressure.png

Could get more interesting.  It's fascinating to see that we still aren't getting enough cold air to flood down to produce a 'general' snow event.  It seems that westward bulge near Iceland is preventing and modifying any northerly shot.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted

GEFS Northern Hemisphere profile: some blocking in N Atlantic, but all members retain strong vortex over Canada, so a chance of a temporary block but not likely to last long

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=6&ech=240

ECM ensembles London: if anything, they are back on an upward trend for temperatures - very few runs that could be described in the "cold category" even out to D15

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

At present, what we can see suggests colder spells limited to 24/48 hour affairs at most.

Fence panels, however, are not so safe - a number of ECM members at T120 with gales or better, in various locations:

mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Yes, while we wait to see if the sliding lows can do anything useful mid-month from a snow perspective, there is plenty of active weather to keep track of!

The first significant threat for the south comes along Saturday or overnight into Sunday, in the form of a secondary low that ECM turns into a nasty looking feature (below-left), but with GFS not so interested, the 00z shown below-right (and the 06z has an even shallower feature):

ecmt850.120.png  h850t850eu.png

Intriguingly, GFS produces a narrow band of 50-60 mph gusts on both its 00z and 06z runs, suggesting a very active frontal boundary regardless of just how much the secondary low develops, perhaps featuring a potent squall line or two.

ECM separates the secondary low from the parent low more, allowing for more independent development and further south, which places a seriously tight pressure gradient across the far south. Enough for a short spell of 70 mph gusts even inland, with 80 mph not out of the question where particularly exposed.

UKMO, meanwhile, tracks the feature yet farther south and would probably bring more of a heavy rain threat to the south (rain band pivoting, countering eastward movement for a time, prolonging the rain) with strong winds hitting France instead.

UW120-21.GIF?02-06

With this range of options, it seems at least a brief spell of winds strong enough to bring a few branches down is likely but by no means certain, with a near equal chance that these winds could miss to the south or turn out to be stronger and hence capable of causing structural damage. 

GEFS cluster analysis supports this analysis, with 60% similar to the 00z or 06z det. runs, 25% more like ECM, and 15% more like UKMO.

Following this relatively focused event comes a far more widespread event, from a deep storm tracking further south than we've been seeing for much of this winter, and more importantly looking to develop a secondary feature along the base which threatens to bring some very strong winds somewhere across the southern half of the UK for a time.

ecmt850.144.png h850t850eu.png UW144-21.GIF?02-06

Comparing the 00z output from big three (ECM, GFS then UKMO), we can see that ECM tracks the core of the low further south than GFS, but GFS develops more of a secondary feature on the south side. ECM has the core pressure at 952 mb just prior to reaching the UK while GFS was at 960 mb for the low at that position. Peak winds could be pretty similar for both scenarios, this being 60-70 mph widely inland with 80 mph or so affecting the coasts. UKMO has the storm at both a similar position and intensity (955 mb core) to ECM for that same moment in time, which is quite the coincidence!

However, at this sort of range, although the general theme will be well sorted, notable timing differences can be expected from run to run. Case in point, the GFS 06z has turned out to be a fair bit faster with the low, similar in intensity to the 00z but with less of a secondary low. This limits peak inland winds to around 60 mph for example. The intensity is still open to some question as the exact position of the storm relative to the near 200 mph jet stream is important.

ecmt850.192.png h850t850eu.png

Looking still further ahead, and the idea of a cut-off low has lost some favour this morning. Instead we have more of a sliding low but again with an unusual lack of trough disruption, resulting in type of 'bowling ball on a ramp' low that can bring prolonged heavy rain to a large part of the country. GFS produces 20-30 mm widely which is notable given how poorly it captures convective elements - these being an increasingly significant component at this time of year, as the sun gains some strength.

I daresay ECM's version would be nasty across much of England and Wales, as the low deeper than GFS has it, and rife with secondary features that tighten the pressure gradient and increase rainfall amounts. 

We have drawn so many short straws from the pot of late, surely there can only be long ones left? :pardon:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I'm actually quite encouraged about next week and beyond because according to the experts it looks like temperatures will begin to fall a little, meaning an increased risk of seeing night frosts and also more in the way of snow, especially across high ground and more generally in the north which sounds like a blend of what all the major op runs and ensembles are showing...so, it could become more wintry next week than some think, at least for the north and towards the end of next week and into the following week we could have a settled spell with frost and fog. As a cold / snow starved coldie, it doesn't look like we will go back to the nadir we experienced in December!

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny days with the odd cloud.
1 hour ago, ukpaul said:

I, for one, am concerned about these storms given their effect on me as well as others. The one I am most concerned about is this, as below. Being overnight I doubt I'll be able to sleep, with added noise and vibration. 2013-14 was the absolute nadir, I managed to travel away from some of the worst of it over Christmas but spare a thought for those who are 'trapped'!

This, for example. I'd even endure 30 degree heat for a week than have this again.

126-289UK.GIF?02-6

Given that this storm is 5 days away, what are the chances of this storm actually hitting the uk or otherwise hitting France instead.. ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

This looks Wintry, quite surprised to see that chart from the high res GFS for tomorrow morning. Upgrades!!:D

27-780.GIF

nmm_uk1-1-23-0.png

nmm_uk1-1-26-0.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
4 minutes ago, fat chad said:

Given that this storm is 5 days away, what are the chances of this storm actually hitting the uk or otherwise hitting France instead.. ?

Given that it concerns the weather that we don't really want and not the cold and snow so many of us do want......I'd say the chances are pretty high it hits us! :)

• Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

no sign of anything wintery for most uk ,just stormy it seems ,

No a downward trend in temperature so don't agree with no sign of wintry. Snow likely in the north and even further south at times in the next 14 days or so also some overnight frosts. 

Edited by shane303
  • Like 2

Posted

also bear in mind what has been said by Fergie that it is not all about the snow and ice hitting us as it is the permutation of the south being hit by one of these barrel storms. 2013/2014 was hell down here not had a storm so bad this winter but I know that we are due one.

All of the models are pointing towards a nasty spell of weather and it is now within the timeframe of it hitting

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-6.50,58.35,1216/loc=-1.460,51.932

This link shows you whats happening our side of the world plus far left is the next storm...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
9 minutes ago, fat chad said:

Singularity gave it a good summary a few posts earlier, maybe 60% chance (at the moment), could be even windier as per ECM or equally sending it to France as per UKMO Nothing against the French but more rain but less wind would be my preferred outcome.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

We get wind and rain pretty much all year round so while I agree there is some notable weather in the medium term, I use the models to look for something different. 

Therefore my focus will remain on the hope of something either  involving cold and snow or some pleasant unseasonable warmth. Certainly no sign of the latter at present in the models but looking at the outputs today, it wouldn't take a lot to turn a UK trough to something that would open the floodgates to a Northerly. 

ECM and some GFS ensemble members have continually shown interest in something wintry as we go to mid month and a slight nudge in the right direction (East and South!) will pay dividends. 

• Like 6