Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
4 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

A nice sliding track for that low Sunday morning, good for those further north but the 850s show clearly why the the far south misses out.

156-7UK.GIF?07-12

GEM at the same time and UKMO at T144 also different:

gem-1-156.thumb.png.40972bd064f9a228cb62  UKMO D6  UW144-21.thumb.gif.d8d0bdaa15d0265c6816a

I suspect GFS will change many times before we get any agreement, looks messy with where that Low goes, how and if it disrupts and how mixed out those uppers get. Though potential remains, too far out to take this GFS run seriously.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Worth bearing in mind that this low is a pretty good slider, it does not get very far North before its pushed back South East by the cold air in the North. So some lucky places will have just snow others further South will have snow then sleet or rain, then snow again as low low clears. Long way off of course.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowray said:

Worth bearing in mind that this low is a pretty good slider, it does not get very far North before its pushed back South East by the cold air in the North. So some lucky places will have just snow others further South will have snow then sleet or rain, then snow again as low low clears. Long way off of course.

Seems about fair .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

This encapsulates Europe's plight this winter. Cold floods into the US/China axis and this continent, apart from Scandinavia and the Alps can't get below freezing. When there's no cold in Europe then what chance does we have?

gfsnh-9-168.png?12

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, ukpaul said:

This encapsulates Europe's plight this winter. Cold floods into the US/China axis and this continent, apart from Scandinavia and the Alps can't get below freezing. When there's no cold in Europe then what chance does we have?

gfsnh-9-168.png?12

The Alps are going to get pasted with upto 2m of snow in some resorts this week...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
8 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

gfsnh-9-168.png?12

All's not lost though, With plenty of surface cold..

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter is frost and snow/summer is heatwaves

The low will be much futher south buy the time it comes the north will be dry and cold but for the south of England there will be some snow this will be a southern England snow runner low

sn.png

Edited by london and south east kent
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

staggering run from gfs now the diving lows going se into Europe signs of a change to something even colder evolving early in the gfs run to so I hope the gfs is onto something although must confess I'm not convinced just yet but there does look to be some chilly enough upper air at times for possible wintriness even further south.

I threw the towel in days ago but I'm happy to be wrong.

• Like 6

Posted

I have a feeling these potential snow events may go our way for a change, and some upgrades could start showing up over the next few days...maybe to METO should have stuck to its guns on a cold 2nd half of Feb

i expect to see the ECM showing even more potential than the GFS.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted

The GFS continues once again with cool/cold 'Wintry' Northerly type flows into the run.

a.pngb.pngc.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I have a feeling these potential snow events may go our way for a change, and some upgrades could start showing up over the next few days...maybe to METO should have stuck to its guns on a cold 2nd half of Feb

snow above 300m  for the next fortnight or so by the looks of it the met office will have a bit of work to do unless you view the GEM model of course 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

The GFS continues once again with cool/cold 'Wintry' Northerly type flows into the run.

a.pngb.pngc.png

I don't see any 'mild' in those charts! :yahoo:

Will be interesting to see what the Met Office thinks of this, although with possible cold spells such as the one in January they are reluctant to get on board until they have enough confidence to do so.

I also think the impact of Imogen will help to drag colder air down over the UK perhaps causing a change to colder weather again.

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Singularity said:

This 'Icelandic Wedge' reminds me of a similar feature in Jan..

The ECM will be very interesting tonight. Will it go the GFS route or UKMO? The ECM 00z raised heights over Scandi in the medium term, will it carry on that trend tonight? Not long to wait for these answers.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To shorten quote.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
10 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

All's not lost though, With plenty of surface cold..

a.png

I check out webcams and forecasts for much of Europe on yr.no (recommended!) and they don't appear to be impressed with any real cold infiltrating Europe. Prague, with an average high of 2.7 degrees in February is about to hit double figures tomorrow. Warsaw may only get below freezing once in the next week, despite its average high being less than two degrees centigrade. (and its average low nearly minus five).

If you want snow then you have to go pretty far into Scandinavia, beyond the capitals. It's pretty pitiful at this stage.

Posted
6 minutes ago, wishingforsnow said:

I don't see any 'mild' in those charts! :yahoo:

Will be interesting to see what the Met Office thinks of this, although with possible cold spells such as the one in January they are reluctant to get on board until they have enough confidence to do so.

I also think the impact of Imogen will help to drag colder air down over the UK perhaps causing a change to colder weather again.

Not alot going on the latest forecast, nothing wintry at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It doesn't take much in the way of heights to our north to raise cold interest further when we have an Atlantic trough digging se into Europe.

56b77c797d95d_viewimage(10).thumb.png.4d56b77c82acf9c_viewimage(11).thumb.png.2a

looking closely it's there on the UKMO too.

This week was always looking colder in the ensembles,could we quietly be heading into something even more noteworthy than first thought.

Certainly the end of the week looks interesting with more southerly tracking waves on the jet.Plenty of cold air showing to our north and east creeping ever further south into England/Wales.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Not alot going on the latest forecast, nothing wintry at all

They don't have confidence in models showing cold at present as more support is needed for a colder signal to develop. But this could change. The Met Office usually only support an idea or trend if there is a strong enough signal to do so. We have to watch what happens over the next few days/week. 

Edited by wishingforsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Great start to the 12z from GFS and UKMO in terms of cold and wintry weather for the uk. All eyes to the ECM, but I'm feeling quite confident, this week, especially the later part of the week could Spring some surprises. 

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

one poster says 'I don't see any 'mild' in those charts

another

nothing wintry at all!

newcomers can be forgiven for wondering just what is coming out of the models, at this time of the day, it will be GFS folk are talking about.

For some sensible ideas read 

Singularity, Polar Maritime

phil nw.

not the only ones but just giving new folk an idea where to look.

I would be surprised if at the end of this week some folk in England at quite low levels have not seen at least falling snow, some may even have it lyinf for a time. No great deep prolonged cold but it, to me, is looking colder overall than for a while?

The models as always will come and go so to speak with timings and positions, details etc but as move towards, whichever T+00 you are interested in they WILL converge. Forecasting snow rather than rain is very very complex so don't expect the forecasts, model or TV folk, to be right all the time for your locality.

Fun watching things develop and it is looking like being a really interesting week for meteorology in many forms, so enjoy it folks.

Wrong , I was pointing out the Met dont see it as wintry............. and they are THE professionals ..................can change but as we sit today the met havent even mentioned anything wintry, which is different to what GFS is showing.

Advice to newbies is ..............watch TV forecasts for clarity

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 hour ago, ukpaul said:

A nice sliding track for that low Sunday morning, good for those further north but the 850s show clearly why the the far south misses out.

156-7UK.GIF?07-12

Have you just discovered the high res charts Paul, lol. Out at day 7 we are looking at the broader picture, the high res will give more details but at this range overall the bigger picture is more important. When looking at where 850s are cold enough for snow etc it is best to wait till T48/72 and look at the likes of the FAX charts or the high res Euro models such as the ARPEGE. 

However the 12z GFS is a really nice run in terms of the bigger picture and the potential for sliders with enough cold air entrenched over us to raise some eyebrows regarding frontal snowfall somewhere over the UK if the theme was to continue.

Rtavn1502.gif

Edited by chris55
  • Like 3

Posted

If only there was more cold air around, be typical if we get these kind of sypnotics only for a lack of cold uppers to scupper everything. Nick S will be preparing his strongly worded post.

Interesting ECM run coming up.

• Like 1

Posted

Some posts have been hidden due to personal sniping which has been noted and not taken kindly on this Forum. Please continue with friendly 'model discussion'. And remember there are other threads to discuss what the METO/BBC are forecasting. 

Many Thanks, PM.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The day to day difference for as little as T96 out is remarkable really.......still a lot ot volatility in the models if the ECM is anything to go by

Tonight   v last night

ECM1-96.GIF  v  ECM1-120.GIF?12