Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

True, I expected at least a bit more of a draw from Iceland but never mind. We'd be losing our minds over marginality under that scenario, relying on evaporative cooling as the winds fell lighter.

ECM1-240.GIF?06-0

This would feel raw, but snowfall would be hard to come by given the lack of decent surface cold to draw across from the continent.

If we could get a better reach N of the ridge from the Atlantic +168 to +192... yep, here we go again! :crazy:

Yes its frustrating the synoptics look better than what they actually deliver. If the lows were further south initially then they wouldn't displace as much cold from mainland Europe and we might be able to pull something colder into the flow from the north and of course if the Azores ridge was more amplified. All ifs and buts at this stage, I'm sort of underwhelmed but also a bit more optimistic our MJO is the Obi Wan Kenobi to Princess Leia!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

If the ever popular Euro slug was to move up over us be the end of the month I would think that temps in the high teens could be expected pretty widely. There have already been hints of this on some runs showing a nice plume of 12/14c uppers moving up from Spain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

One helluva preciptation spike on the ENS suite!

MT8_London_ens.png

Otherwise the Op run was very much on the cold side in FI with the rest on the cool side of average.

Posted
8 minutes ago, snowray said:

If the ever popular Euro slug was to move up over us be the end of the month I would think that temps in the high teens could be expected pretty widely. There have already been hints of this on some runs showing a nice plume of 12/14c uppers moving up from Spain.

And if a high was to ridge down from the Artic we would have Ice days......,,,,,,,,,,,,,Spring is some way off at the moment

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 minutes ago, Banbury said:

And if a high was to ridge down from the Artic we would have Ice days......,,,,,,,,,,,,,Spring is some way off at the moment

Of course Bambury, although the charts have been showing a hell of a lot more of the Euro slug influencing our weather than any Northern block, have we had any kind of Northern block at all this winter, In can't remember even a transient one?

I personally am happy with either scenario, although if we do get some ice days, it would be cruel not to see some of the white stuff too. I think that some transient snow events are more likely, something akin to what is shown at around T72.

Posted

A great summary from Tamara. The winter so far has been 95% horrible and what most people are looking for now in model trends is dry weather as opposed to snow. Basically we have had the worst possible luck in regards to how this winter has played out in that we are literally clutching at the last possible straw in the MJO to give the UK colder conditions. The UK could have had some colder and more settled weather by now had it not been for Hurricane Alex and the unfavourable strat warming but unfortunately luck wasn't on our side. If the MJO doesn't work out either then I think that's really it and roll on Spring and more so Summer which hopefully can make up for the horrible weather we have had to endure so far as surely 4 months of predominantely rain and gales cannot continue for much longer- that would be a stretch even for the UK imo and people would go absolutely crazy. Hopefully it will balance out in the end :closedeyes: There is always light at the end of the tunnel; recently Summer 2014 after the similarly horrid winter.

Edited by wishingforsnow
  • Like 8

Posted
56 minutes ago, wishingforsnow said:

A great summary from Tamara. The winter so far has been 95% horrible and what most people are looking for now in model trends is dry weather as opposed to snow. Basically we have had the worst possible luck in regards to how this winter has played out in that we are literally clutching at the last possible straw in the MJO to give the UK colder conditions. The UK could have had some colder and more settled weather by now had it not been for Hurricane Alex and the unfavourable strat warming but unfortunately luck wasn't on our side. If the MJO doesn't work out either then I think that's really it and roll on Spring and more so Summer which hopefully can make up for the horrible weather we have had to endure so far as surely 4 months of predominantely rain and gales cannot continue for much longer- that would be a stretch even for the UK imo and people would go absolutely crazy. Hopefully it will balance out in the end :closedeyes: There is always light at the end of the tunnel; recently Summer 2014 after the similarly horrid winter.

All I've heard all Winter long is a cold spell is dependable on a SSW in the second half of winter and now apparently it was a hindrance. That's why I don't buy in to long range forecasts no matter what signs etc are showing. As you said yourself the implications the hurricane had and no one could have foreseen that happening therefore LRF are a waste of time IMO. 90% of time we'll have wind and rain in Winter its our climate.  Hindsight is a great thing looking back at what made things go wrong but in reality it was only a guess to begin with.

Edited by Abyss
  • Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, Abyss said:

All I've heard all Winter long is a cold spell is dependable on a SSW in the second half of winter and now apparently it was a hindrance. That's why I don't buy in to long range forecasts no matter what signs etc are showing. As you said yourself the implications the hurricane had and no one could have foreseen that happening therefore LRF are a waste of time IMO. 90% of time we'll have wind and rain in Winter its our climate.  Hindsight is a great thing looking back at what made things go wrong but in reality it was only a guess to begin with.

It could have helped had it not been simply a displacement with an unfavourable position for the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
13 minutes ago, Singularity said:

ECH1-168.GIF?06-0

Okay... might take until +192 with the W. Atlantic feature.

Interesting how the individual disturbances within messy trough at +144 again refuse to merge into a single storm system. The southern arm of the jet is just too enticing... so we end up with another angry looking low heading for southern UK. Thanks, ECM *sarcasm alert*.

Edit:

I saw it first!

ECM1-192.GIF?06-0

:whistling::D

OK Sing....

We'll let you keep it in your back garden. Please!

Posted
24 minutes ago, Abyss said:

I'm not sure why this hurricane Alex has taken on this level of importance. It did not scupper any cold, it caused some model uncertainty for a few days but that's all.

In terms of any SSW it depends whether you're talking of a major or minor one. The latter has often been a hindrance because it bounces the PV around often to places that are not favourable to the UK. If we had seen a major one then it might have given a better window but again its still a lottery!

This is the problem when expectations on one synoptic saviour to salvage another crxp UK winter go pearshaped. Amidst all the attention on the strat the only major teleconnection that's delivered anything remotely interesting was the MJO and then all the pre-drama to that was caused by yes you guessed it another strat warming which stopped any ridging in the Atlantic from getting further north because these warmings cause an initial PV surge and increase in zonal winds.

Unless you have a weak PV then these warmings are only worth the pain if they actually deliver a major SSW otherwise IMO they're not worth the drama.

My view of the strat and all its mood swings and countless caveats as to its impact for western Europe is akin to being invited to a meal at a 3 Star Michelin restaurant and then arriving to find out it was a big joke and you're actually dining at Pizza Hut!

I'm bored of the strat and all its caveats, how many times have we seen oh a big warming coming but then oh no its not the one we wanted, or it was in the wrong place or sent the PV in the wrong direction. Has one synoptic ever garnered so much attention and delivered so little.

Anyway that's my strat moan over for another winter!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I'm not sure why this hurricane Alex has taken on this level of importance. It did not scupper any cold, it caused some model uncertainty for a few days but that's all.

I didn't say it scuppered cold Nick. Apparently it was unprecedented for such mild air to be pushed deep in to Arctic that's all I read here anyway and that had serious knock on effects to any LRF which didn't foresee that happening. That's my whole point, one small thing can happen and changes how the rest of dominoes will fall. Can't say it didn't matter to what happened after that long term as the immediate small term changes lead to big changes down the line. 

Edited by Abyss
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

In terms of any SSW it depends whether you're talking of a major or minor one. The latter has often been a hindrance because it bounces the PV around often to places that are not favourable to the UK. If we had seen a major one then it might have given a better window but again its still a lottery!

This is the problem when expectations on one synoptic saviour to salvage another crxp UK winter go pearshaped. Amidst all the attention on the strat the only major teleconnection that's delivered anything remotely interesting was the MJO and then all the pre-drama to that was caused by yes you guessed it another strat warming which stopped any ridging in the Atlantic from getting further north because these warmings cause an initial PV surge and increase in zonal winds.

Unless you have a weak PV then these warmings are only worth the pain if they actually deliver a major SSW otherwise IMO they're not worth the drama.

It all depends on the type of warming, if its a wave 2 split type with complete reversal, even if it doesn't have immediate implications, its very likely at some point during the rest of winter / spring we would get potent cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It all depends on the type of warming, if its a wave 2 split type with complete reversal, even if it doesn't have immediate implications, its very likely at some point during the rest of winter / spring we would get potent cold.

Hopefully. March 2013 was a rare event & I think anything close to that would be a monumental success after this awful "Winter"

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Personally I think our next best chance for potent cold is early Spring, tying in with Ian Pennell's thoughts, should the warming be as you described.

Edited by wishingforsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

If anyone can show me other than mild/normal conditions for the foreseeable I will gladly take it on board

ECM0-240.GIF?06-0

gfs-1-240.png

gem-1-240.png?12

navgem-1-180.png?06-18

Snow is not an issue this coming week according to the present output. Only the usual forecast based  upon one GFS output in 24 hrs.

Edited by winterof79

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes but we haven't seen the much vaunted major SSW which hit the buffers. The only remotely interesting spell for the UK which wasn't upto much but still better than the rest of the winter was that spell in January which was helped on its way by the MJO.  Unfortunately the PV has been relentless and together with the El Nino has made it an uphill struggle.

At this point I think our last hope is on the MJO gaining more amplitude and getting into a favourable phase.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
2 hours ago, snowray said:

Mildest Northerly I have ever seen in February, Just about sums up this Winter!

ECM1-216.GIF

ECM0-216.GIF

Looks like more of a no-therley to me, similar to the one in mid-January.

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Abyss said:

I didn't say it scuppered cold Nick. Apparently it was unprecedented for such mild air to be pushed deep in to Arctic that's all I read here anyway and that had serious knock on effects to any LRF which didn't foresee that happening. That's my whole point, one small thing can happen and changes how the rest of dominoes will fall. Can't say it didn't matter to what happened after that long term as the immediate small term changes lead to big changes down the line. 

Are you perhaps thinking of storm Frank rather than hurricane Alex. The warm moist air from Alex was mixed in a low pressure exiting Canada and gave a temporary bit of oomph to the flow. Storm Frank's warm air advection went right up to the pole, bringing record high temps in that region and giving birth to the persistent Kara sea positive heights.

Frank on Hogmanay 2015.  gfsnh-6-48.png?12

• Like 4

Posted

Maybe some interest there again on the 18z for this Tuesday.

66-7.GIF

66-574.GIF

69-574.GIF

Posted

More changes from the GFS. The detail for later next week is difficult to pin down because of the changing view of shortwaves running into the UK.

Something might pop up in terms of snow but as to where difficult to say. That area south of Greenland seems to be an area the models continue to struggle with.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

well thats me watching "the day after tomorrow for the 100th time this winter.... now this is some model watching..... so far this winter ive been on the be patient side but the last 24hrs ive really begun to feel like thats it and we are done until next winter.... model watching has been the hardest thing ever this season and i just cant think that we will see anything to get real cold and ice days for us now..... sorry winter 2015/16 you have given nothing other than rain warmth and wind for many.... ive had 2 snow falls and thats less than what i saw in 13/14 so just goes to show how bad this winter has really been... i will keep an eye on this thread over the next few weeks and months but then i will go seek out my wife and kids for a few months before coming back here in September to see how the build up to next winter is looking...

• Like 3

Posted

And then this...Am I seeing things, two potential snow events next week? Some nice charts there.

gfs-0-114.png

gfs-1-114.png

gfs-2-114.png

• Like 1