Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Yes a nice chart,but is there anything before this to get excited about..?

Very cold next week pretty early on.When the colds in place allsorts can crop up.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfs-1-120.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Another cold run throughout the 6z and into the start of Spring.. Winter certainly looks to have a sting in it's tail! Plenty of interest ahead :cold:

a.pngb.pngc.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
10 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Very cold next week pretty early on.When the colds in place allsorts can crop up.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfs-1-120.png

Exactly. This time we could well be seeing cold get in, which has frankly lacked all winter. But we aren't there yet, many more runs needed before we allow the models to get me believing just yet. Bitten to many times this winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Plenty on-goings this forthcoming week as always are still to unfold.

And a M4 corridor situation....will it won't it!!!  sleet or snow for Tuesday morning ?

The ECM & UKMO certainty thinks there's a chance.

160220_0000_78.png160220_0000_78.pngCapture.thumb.PNG.b6174dc516e5ed9a75105f

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS very fluid at the moment so I suspect the other models are also all over the place. FI as early as Tuesday with the GEFS divisive from then:

56c8513b70029_graphe4_1000_306_141___Longraphe6_1000_306_141___Londres.thumb.gif

The GEFS pressure and 2m temps show the spread. Anything after is therefore pure speculation at the moment, though op and control are on the same page so that augurs well for the possible pattern change. 

The snow Tues/Wed looks marginal again as the London GEFS snow chances show, about 30%. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Singularity said:

Edit: just seen what Fergie posted about the (lack of) southern snow on the 12z ECM of yesterday. I was mislead by bluearmy's post  (which is rare on his part I must stress!)

Ecm 12z did show a dusting for much of s England and Wales first thing tues - Ian's chart was for end tues by which time it would have melted away from the hills. 

Note that the 00z run has increased the chances. Anyway, I did say that the 12z run would not repeat in its latter stages and to see the systems further sw is no surprise to me. Pendulum could still swing back though. Certainly looking more seasonal and the many who predicted a cold early spring are currently looking smug.

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

By 12z Tues, see below (00z run; NOT to be construed as snow necessarily settling). However, and without wanting to sound like stuck record, bear in mind ECMWF develops solid PPN too readily and thus tends to overplay snow coverage (GFS even worse). 00z UKMO-GM not keen on this outcome but given complexities of set-up, it's unsurprising to currently see little consensus. The 'snowier' outcome currently rated 30-50% Tues/Weds. Further ahead, MOGREPS-15 ENS are dominated by a markedly cold, stiff E-NE regime by weekend of 27-28th: far more dominant a signal in that suite versus the more mixed 00z EC-ENS.

Screenshot_2016-02-20-11-22-55-1.png

Ian, or others, just a tad interested in the bolded part, would it be fair to assume or hypothesise that a cold easterly would still produce decent convection at this very late stage of winter? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ian, or others, just a tad interested in the bolded part, would it be fair to assume or hypothesise that a cold easterly would still produce decent convection at this very late stage of winter? :)

It definitely would bring heavy convective showers if it pans out like GFS or similar.March 2013 for example started like this

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_archives-2013-3-17-0-0.png

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_archivesnh-2013-3-17-0-0.png

Here is GFS next week...make of that what you will

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfsnh-0-240.png

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfs-0-192(1).png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Complex. Showers in N certainly wintry to low levels; but awkward in S with potential for more organised PPN and perhaps wintriness on N'rn and W'rn flank(s). The pronounced, brisk E-NE regime indicated by MOGREPS can only be taken as moderate probability currently, until we see how EC ensembles handle it in coming days.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Thanks for taking time to reply Ian, interesting few days coming up for cold lovers on NW :)

edit 22000 likes for 1500 posts, not bad young man , not bad :D

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
Just now, fergieweather said:

For clarity: I'm still posting, just not any further snow prog output from certain models. Cheers. 

Fantastic.

On that note i'll leave you be :)

• Like 6

Posted

Just Model Output Discussion in here, Not who's going to post what.. Thanks.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

For clarity: I'm still posting, just not any further snow prog output from certain models. Cheers.

I don't blame you. Its amazing how things get recycled as they hit twitter and then are added to so what turns out as an initial chance of snow becomes definite snow and then a dusting becomes sledge conditions. I'm happy to see though that you will continue to post in here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
27 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

It's a shame some take to posting discussion here to twitter. Sadly this results in gross misconceptions by mass public and some media of what is being described and discussed. There will thus be no further sharing of this sort of model output from my end, because I'm afraid some evidently run with it direct to social media as representing nailed-on snow threat (it's self-evidently not and was explained as such).

Thank for everything you have done for us, I understand why it has to stop. I flipping hate twitter.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Great news fergieweather!

As for models, very pleasing trend to colder outlook and remaining generally unsettled which indicates a higher chance of snow and frequent frosts..at last!.:D:cold-emoji:

• Like 6

Posted

Models please, Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Firstly I'd like to add thank u fergieweather for your recent and past model discussions very privileged to have such a formal level headed discussion.

secondly I'd like to say any information u pass on has never been 100% gospel neither have u ever hyped anything up.

as for any conflict caused with in the met office and the media domain then I don't see the issue.

because the simple answer is there is across model support of everything Ian has suggested regardless of whether the glosea or ec indicated or indicate this colder conditions are being shown on the freely available models!

so put this to bed just because people want to hype or twist things for there own personal gain then that should not reflect on the actual truth.

and at no time do I feel u been incorrect with your analysis and the manner you have shared your ideas.

social media and the media alike have a habit of twisting the truth so I believe in no way does this reflect or should reflect on the original poster.

anyway interesting weather to come we have a few models wanting higher heights into the Atlantic and a low pressure in a prime location to our sw with the jet going a lot futher south allowing nw northerly and north easterly I see very similar pattern to the infamous winter of 09/10 but later in the season of course I got my towel back out of the ring but I'm ready to throw it back if future runs flatten the pattern again.

but I'm much more optimistic that things are finally setting up for at least chances of more in the way of wintry weather before Feb is finished.

looking forwards to tonight and tomorrow runs,

will be watching.

but not behind the sofa because I believe this is the best set up in a few years.

• Like 8