Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Henry

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
10 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Sorry, but could someone explain what nacreous clouds are for a numpty (like me!)

Just googled it myself  the weather channel says they are rare beautiful  and DESTRUCTIVE  wtf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
27 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

Just googled it myself  the weather channel says they are rare beautiful  and DESTRUCTIVE  wtf

Apparently they destroy the ozone layer.:)

"Despite their beauty, the increasing frequency of nacreous clouds is worrying for scientists. You wouldn't think of such a delicate pretty looking cloud as being destructive, but that's exactly what the mother of pearl cloud is - they are helping to destroy our ozone layer.

Polar stratospheric clouds provide a surface for the chlorine and bromine in the CFC's to react into an active form, even if the forms of chlorine compounds are benign. This reaction makes the chlorine become destructive to the ozone layer. Simultaneously the ice crystals also remove nitrogen which helps slow and moderate the damaging chlorine and bromine.

Nacreous clouds help accelerate the process of the depletion of the ozone layer, without the clouds there is little or no damage."

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Have we had storm Henry yet? Today the wind gusts have been really fierce but its all died down now, so has it passed us in lancashire now and warnings for scotland this evening or is there more to come?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

A sighting of the Nacreous clouds here this evening too.  :)

Nacreous.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Wind getting up here now, only around 50-55mph so nothing special. I'm waiting for later for the 80mph forecast!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
8 minutes ago, SparkleS said:

Have we had storm Henry yet? Today the wind gusts have been really fierce but its all died down now, so has it passed us in lancashire now and warnings for scotland this evening or is there more to come?

It is still very windy here it is picking up too. I think there is more to come tonight.

I also saw one or two pearl clouds when I going home.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!
8 minutes ago, pip22 said:

It is still very windy here it is picking up too. I think there is more to come tonight.

I also saw one or two pearl clouds when I going home.

Thanks for answering me pip i appreciate it. Im only down the road from you and its not that windy at the moment but earlier today it was horrendous! Started raining now

Posted

Relatively calm at the moment in Redcar. I suspect it will pick up again later mind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Spikecollie said:

The map is very indistinct and showed the arrow well off the coast. I speak Gaelic (Irish Gaelic) and hesitated for a moment but thought it could be "sound" in Scots Gaelic. I don't know this geographic area, so sorry for my lack of knowledge. Does it mean the way of the cows?

It looks fierce anyway...stay safe.

A bealach is a pass, or col, so this is the cattle pass - on the Applecross peninsula at just under 600m altitude - hence the windiness!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

http://20160201_170806_zpsxhwscmym.jpg

Not quite as spectacular but as far South as Lutterworth,  looked like today's rainbows had dyed the clouds.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just watched BBC weather forecast and according to the map it shows 70mph right over me. Looks like going to be a very stormy night here.

Posted

Here a picture of it:

It is from Billingham.

CaJu3kdWwAENdzJ.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Getting really wound up out there just now! Amazingly I'm not recording any massive speeds on the weather station, biggest gust a wee while ago was 40.9 mph. I daresay that won't be the highest overnight. Stay safe everyone!

Posted

Wild in Northern Ireland today.  This the Six mile water that flows into Lough Neagh (Largest fresh water later in British Isles) Flooding occurring around it DSCF3709.thumb.JPG.55f7af18d7ea36abbdf98

This is further down at Lough Neagh shore park.  It was and still is extremely rough.  Car park, cafe, golf course and Park area got evacuated shortly after we took these photos as main roads around the area where getting flooded and blocked with trees and debris. 

DSCF3756.thumb.JPG.14a84f5c63be110cb7f8dDSCF3753.thumb.JPG.c997d6c29b5fe70e8ba41DSCF3754.thumb.JPG.59826755567203b43c3e4DSCF3741.thumb.JPG.ffef45f6e6eac9fd0fe64

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Fairly quiet here since just after lunch gusts in the mid forties mostly. What I have noticed is how dry the air us just 62% humidity.