Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Henry

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Meanwhile, a station in Glasgow is reporting a wind speed of 1mph. This is quite literally the calm before the storm.

Posted

I think one thing that is being slightly overlooked here is that unlike Gertrude, the strongest gusts are likely to occur over a longer period of time so even if we don't quite get the 100MPH gusts, the damage could be more severe than the last storm.

It seems to me the low is more tightly packed than first predicted and also a little deeper than yesterday runs suggested, really would not be surprised if the Met Office are considering a red warning for potentially 100MPH gusts in the Western Isles. 

As for the comment that people in the Western Isles should be accustomed to strong winds, do find that a bit laughable because regardless if they are accustomed to it or not, the damage can't be avoided regardless if they are used to it or not and the dangers of such winds is just as severe as it would be in  areas which don't experience such high gusts. 

Also I'm interested in gusts in the NE tomorrow night, could be some lively cross winds, wind flow/direction looks perfect for this too occur. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

It's surprisingly breezy down here tonight, and I can't say I expected it to be this active until tomorrow, so I really hope everyone further north stays safe. It's not particularly bad here, of course, it's just surprised me...I didn't check the clocked speeds but a couple of gusts a few hours ago seemed stronger than anything forecast. I'm a lover of stormy weather but I'll admit this one has me concerned for the north...if it's this frisky down here, miles away from any warning area... :( 

Posted

Pretty wild out there isn't it! Low is currently down to 948mb :oops: Going to be a wild day across NI / main land Scotland and other parts of the north!

A_e_sfc_color.png

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Latest from the NetWX-SR Model.. Life threatening for some parts.

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Some good webcams here to keep tabs on, Should make for interesting viewing later with some great music to boot.. 

http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/sumburgh-head-lighthouse

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Wind is really howling here now - you can hear the gusts banging in to the side of the building.  Nothing too serious mind but likely to strengthen through the day so expecting 65-70mph perhaps later?

Posted

Henry at 6z:

20160201.0701.PPVA89.thumb.png.d80bcf4e4 

Euro4 showing quite a steep gradient over Western Isles and far north Scotland late this evening and into Tue.  Mean wind speeds 50-60kts.  Depending on how things look this evening, wouldn't be surprised to see a narrow red warning area over that region closer to the time.  

16020200_0100.thumb.gif.840010253e018d71

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Some good webcams here to keep tabs on, Should make for interesting viewing later with some great music to boot.. 

http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/sumburgh-head-lighthouse

A great link. Those cameras are really starting to bounce around, and the sea is getting wilder and wilder. The sea state is supposed to reach "phenomenal" and the wind "hurricane force 12". Wow!

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

A great link. Those cameras are really starting to bounce around, and the sea is getting wilder and wilder. The sea state is supposed to reach "phenomenal" and the wind "hurricane force 12". Wow!

Yes they sure are, The cliff cams are great in HD should be some spectacular seas later.

http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Shetland is going to be too far north to experience the strongest winds from Henry. just clipping Orkney on the 6z with the most severe winds over the mainland. 

gfs18.thumb.png.5edc1cd24b9164cbf8da0a08

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
50 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Great cam - and them talking on it must be the only Scottish accent I am struggling to understand!  I have never had  a problem understanding the Scottish accent before but that accent is strong.  Are they talking about the storm?

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Bit further south than suggested but winds have died a bit in the last hour or so.  Max gust 54mph so far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

South Uist hit 89mph on 2pm update - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Crikey! :( Not sure if even I'd be brave enough to sit in the Polochar with those winds but the view must be spectacular.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:30 AM, cookie said:

I fear this could be worse then Gertrude 

Yep, my own thoughts exactly! Getting very blustery here and we had a wee gust of 47mph at 4am this morning. The worst is yet to come to stay safe ower the water!