Sign in to follow this  
Weather-history

US Politics

Well after the Trump speech tonight I expect, as  G.K.Chesterton put it, the joke to begins ernest.

Edited by knocker

Scary bloke that Mr Trump. Lord knows what he'll say tonight!

Is his statement that he won't honour NATO commitments just another frighteningly naive and dangerous rant or a serious pledge to sell out Europe to Putin?

2 hours ago, knocker said:

Well after the Trump speech tonight I expect, as  G.K.Chesterton put it, the joke to begin ernest.

Groucho would have loved Hilary. In The absolute destruction of..

RNC Scanner ‏@RNC_Scanner

BREAKING: Officers getting info of potential syringe attacks on them by anarchists. Threats continue. #RNCinCLE

Third officer reporting numbness after contact with RNC protest stickers

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/32499204/georgia-troopers-arms-go-numb-after-contact-with-protester-stickers

Edited by Snowy L

On 7/19/2016 at 01:12, Yarmy said:

DONALD TRUMP’S GHOSTWRITER TELLS ALL

"I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization."

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

It's mind-boggling that so many on here worship this dangerous lunatic.

It's a low act to make your fortune off someone for thirty years and then back stab him as a further act to enhance your publicity. I really find that disgusting. I did read the full article you posted but all I took away from it was one mans analysis of another mans narcisstic personality, but written as a memory of the meetings he had with him more than thirty years ago when he was writing his book. I do admire journalists that can write thousands of words designed to mean something but in the end there is nothing there.  I am a passive observer to what is going on over there and don't see or feel threatened by a Trump presidency. I do accept I might be incredibly naive or view certain things with a different disposition. For example, I see a lot of hyperbole in his speech...a design to win power bases along the way. What I do see is Trump fear and bashing is a social media sport which has in some way turned him into a despotic caricature. How much reality are we are actually taking on board. I also look at his opposition and see how she is the perfect example of everything you wouldn't want in a president. We will have to see how this plays out, NATO announcement is probably the biggest shock to me, but let's get all the details first.

Edited by Styx

4 hours ago, Styx said:

It's a low act to make your fortune off someone for thirty years and then back stab him as a further act to enhance your publicity. I really find that disgusting. I did read the full article you posted but all I took away from it was one mans analysis of another mans narcisstic personality, but written as a memory of the meetings he had with him more than thirty years ago when he was writing his book. I do admire journalists that can write thousands of words designed to mean something but in the end there is nothing there.  I am a passive observer to what is going on over there and don't see or feel threatened by a Trump presidency. I do accept I might be incredibly naive or view certain things with a different disposition. For example, I see a lot of hyperbole in his speech...a design to win power bases along the way. What I do see is Trump fear and bashing is a social media sport which has in some way turned him into a despotic caricature. How much reality are we are actually taking on board. I also look at his opposition and see how she is the perfect example of everything you wouldn't want in a president. We will have to see how this plays out, NATO announcement is probably the biggest shock to me, but let's get all the details first.

So the whole misogyny, racism, describing Mexicans as rapists, retweeting white supremacists, murdering the relatives of suspected terrorists, etc doesn't bother you? Ok. But Clinton had access to some emails,  I suppose, which is much worse.

Trump is a superficial moron with a child's view of the world, who speaks only in meaningless soundbites (we gotta hit them hard, we gotta do this, we gotta do that). 

2 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

So the whole misogyny, racism, describing Mexicans as rapists, retweeting white supremacists, murdering the relatives of suspected terrorists, etc doesn't bother you? Ok. But Clinton had access to some emails,  I suppose, which is much worse.

Trump is a superficial moron with a child's view of the world, who speaks only in meaningless soundbites (we gotta hit them hard, we gotta do this, we gotta do that). 

Listening to part of his rant speech this morning I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. Dark days are ahead I fear.

5 hours ago, Styx said:

I don't like either of them, although as I want UK out of NATO to, I can't really argue with that bit.

6 minutes ago, Karl. said:

Trump started off as a joke but nobody is laughing now, how could this happen, a loud mouth racist Redneck could be the next president.:nonono:

Since when was he any of that? Since When was a new yorker a redneck?

You ever watched celeb apprentices USA? Want a insight into Trump i suggest you watch :) 

2 minutes ago, Karl. said:

No never seen it but trump is a loud mouth racist, if he's the best man for the job, never mind God bless America, more like god help America, I still think Hilary is the best man for the job!:D

Its a woman 

6 minutes ago, lfcdude said:

Its a woman 

It..you mean she:D

7 hours ago, Karl. said:

Trump started off as a joke but nobody is laughing now, how could this happen, a loud mouth racist Redneck could be the next president.:nonono:

The same way and for the same reason as Brexit, people want a change and they think he will give them that change.

8 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

The same way and for the same reason as Brexit, people want a change and they think he will give them that change.

I think it is similar to BREXIT in that those wanting to keep the status are not providing the answers to a public that wants change. Whether you like Trump or not, whether you think he is talking rubbish, the fact is he is saying what a lot of americans want to hear. 

Clinton: the political establishment v Trump: the anti political establishment.

You can't get more diverse than that. 

Clinton: wife of a governor, President, senator, Secretary of State has been a prominent political figure in US politics for a quarter of a century. Can you get more political establishment than this? 

Trump: businessman, zero political experience, never held any political office and yet has pushed his way through the Republican political machine to be their candidate.

Trump is the most politically inexperienced presidential candidate since Ross Perot, the most inexperienced main political candidate since Eisenhower. 

Well if Trump wins will be the fault of the people who voted to leave the EU. Sadly some will believe that comment.

I once said he had no chance of winning now I'm beginning to wonder. Well it could be worse you could have Boris and Trump as leaders or Corbyn and Trump as leaders.

6 hours ago, HighPressure said:

I think it is similar to BREXIT in that those wanting to keep the status are not providing the answers to a public that wants change. Whether you like Trump or not, whether you think he is talking rubbish, the fact is he is saying what a lot of americans want to hear. 

I expect you'll find Clinton will also tell lies to get a vote or too that's politics.

Politics : it's all about divide and conquer. Sensationalise or fabricate the threat of the opposing side. Create fear and forboding to get interest groups on your side. Manafacture outrage. Frame opponents as one dimensional ideologues.  It's how politics is played out on both sides...it's the modus operandi. I would have thought in this day and age the masses would be switched on to these fake political wars but oh no...we are suckers to be part of a tribe!

1 hour ago, Styx said:

Politics : it's all about divide and conquer. Sensationalise or fabricate the threat of the opposing side. Create fear and forboding to get interest groups on your side. Manafacture outrage. Frame opponents as one dimensional ideologues.  It's how politics is played out on both sides...it's the modus operandi. I would have thought in this day and age the masses would be switched on to these fake political wars but oh no...we are suckers to be part of a tribe!

Considering that people watch Jeremy Kyle show and but the sun mail etc I'm not surprised. Won't be much different across the pond and the corresponding junk news papers and programs.

I think Trumps performance in riding roughshod over the owners of the land next to his Aberdeenshire golf course (Menie Estate) says it all re this horrible horrible man. He believes money  can buy anything. God help the world if he becomes the next president.

The latest from Trump:

I was reminded of this character in the name that film thread. The rhetoric is spookily similar and Stephen King himself has commented on the parallels:

“Trump is an American ‘Tell it like it is’ populist in a long tradition of them,” King said. “Although [Trump] came from money rather than sharecropper poverty, people vote for [people like him] because they speak in the vulgate of the common people, and because they want to paste mainstream politicians in the eye. Trump is the voice of anger and racism. The anger won’t get him in trouble, but the racism guarantees he won’t be elected.”

The difference between Obama's and Trump's response to the same question from the AMAs on reddit.

G9l6vks.gif

It's about as much thought as Trump applies to every political question.

You have to ask yourself,does hillary Clinton seem like a nice person?The answer should be a resounding no.

The Clinton's have left a trail of death,destruction and deceit.

Bill has over a dozen allegations of rape against him,nothing happens.

Hillary has been proved to be a liar and war monger.Nothing happens.

She is a vile,hateful person,and it is for these reasons,Trump has to win.The status quo is long overdue for a change and the scumbags who have been in power since Reagan died,have made the world a terrible place to live in.Millions dead because of gold and oil.

Trump may not be as articulate,or politically correct as a professional politician,but should he win,do you honestly think he will be burning crosses on the white house lawn?

Trump is not ideal,but he will make the world a better place than crooked hillary.Nearly anyone else would.

42 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

The difference between Obama's and Trump's response to the same question from the AMAs on reddit.

G9l6vks.gif

It's about as much thought as Trump applies to every political question.

Yet Obama is the one supporting a candidate whose DNC buddies rigged the primaries in her favour while Trump beat every super-pac funded Republican in the field. Actions speak louder than words.

I'm no fan of Hillary, which should be clear from my previous posts in this thread. I think she's dishonest, corrupt and will only serve to slowly continue squeezing out the middle class in favour of the ultra rich. But even that is a better prospect than the Republican alternative.
Trump hasn't demonstrated the slightest understanding of anything he will have to deal with, and that comes through in the depth of answers when asked anything related to politics. But what's worse is his disregard for global laws, the constitution of his own country, his positive views of torture and murder, etc, etc.

A few of Trumps claims and acts:

• called for the murder of terrorists families
  • thinks the Geneva convention is a problem
  • thinks torture is fine and the US doesn't do it enough
  • claimed he would MAGA while outsourcing to China
  • is a science denier in many forms, such as vaccines, climate change,
  • is an Obama "birther"
  • a chronic conspiracy theorist (Ted Cruz/JFK)
  • has publicly praised the North Korean dictatorship
  • f'd over hundreds, if not thousands, of people in his joke of a university
  • has made some risqué comments about his own daughter

They're just a small selection of tidbits from the potential POTUS. The man has no political experience and neither said nor done anything to suggest he's capable of being anything other than a disaster.

1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

I'm no fan of Hillary, which should be clear from my previous posts in this thread. I think she's dishonest, corrupt and will only serve to slowly continue squeezing out the middle class in favour of the ultra rich. But even that is a better prospect than the Republican alternative.
Trump hasn't demonstrated the slightest understanding of anything he will have to deal with, and that comes through in the depth of answers when asked anything related to politics. But what's worse is his disregard for global laws, the constitution of his own country, his positive views of torture and murder, etc, etc.

A few of Trumps claims and acts:

• called for the murder of terrorists families
  • thinks the Geneva convention is a problem
  • thinks torture is fine and the US doesn't do it enough
  • claimed he would MAGA while outsourcing to China
  • is a science denier in many forms, such as vaccines, climate change,
  • is an Obama "birther"
  • a chronic conspiracy theorist (Ted Cruz/JFK)
  • has publicly praised the North Korean dictatorship
  • f'd over hundreds, if not thousands, of people in his joke of a university
  • has made some risqué comments about his own daughter

They're just a small selection of tidbits from the potential POTUS. The man has no political experience and neither said nor done anything to suggest he's capable of being anything other than a disaster.

Many of those factors will appeal to those in "certain sections" of US society though.

Edited by Nick L