Sign in to follow this  
Weather-history

US Politics

I'm willing to bet many of these people banging on about no go areas of London have either never been or rarely been, because I go to London a lot. A lot of my friends live in or near those 'no go' areas because they are cheap and I can honestly say I've never felt unsafe, apart from the one time a homeless British man tried to drag me down an alley in broad daylight near Westminster.

Edited by Lauren

I wonder. Are there any controls in place should this buffoon get elected? He is either as mad as a box of frogs or a massive troll, neither of which are good for the man who has his finger on the nuclear button. Are there people behind the scenes who will ensure he can't do anything that will actually put the whole world at risk or is he simply allowed to run amok? I am starting to think that he has the capability of starting World War 3.

11 hours ago, scottish skier said:

The police are investigating the Westminster-linked paedophile ring. We need to wait for the results before passing judgement.

As for Savile et al... well, we know that story.

I'm involved in child protection and anti-exploitation in my work regularly and I have a lot of training in it.

Paedophile rings tend to involved different groups of people in different parts of the country. In Scotland it is mainly Polish, in the North of England it is mainly British and Irish, in Yorkshire and the Midlands it is famously Arabic, in London it's actually a wide mixture of British, North and Central African and Eastern European, in the South East it is mainly Romanian and Bulgarian and in the South West it's mainly Irish and British. Statistically Eastern Europeans are the biggest culprits. Each ring generally has a Kingpin who rarely gets caught and is often undetected and they are often living in a completely different country.

Despite all of that, it is still not fair to tar an entire nation or region of people with the same brush, because based on actual real statistics we might as well brand the whole world.

25 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I'm not sure I trust the CIA to be honest. Ok with somethings, but lie through their teeth sometimes. 

Doubtless a huge amount of very important information being shared in the current environment though. 

If Trump / Corbyn were in power I imagine that would cease very quickly. 

In fact, we'd probably all be banned from entering the US as being from a nation of 'terrorist sympathisers'! (Only semi joking there - we all know US border controls are pretty finicky as it is, and who knows what paranoid madness President Trump would introduce).

15 minutes ago, solarcycle said:

I wonder. Are there any controls in place should this buffoon get elected? He is either as mad as a box of frogs or a massive troll, neither of which are good for the man who has his finger on the nuclear button. Are there people behind the scenes who will ensure he can't do anything that will actually put the whole world at risk or is he simply allowed to run amok? I am starting to think that he has the capability of starting World War 3.

There were very similar fears when Reagan became President in what were very sensitive political times. I grew up in East Anglia and was well used to USAF jets from Bentwaters and Lakenheath practising extreme low level flying over our house. On several occasions the air raid siren went off, and we only found out days later that it was a test. The threat of nuclear attack from USSR seemed very real. Having a commie hating ex actor with his finger on the red button seemed a terrifying prospect at the time.

11 hours ago, weirpig said:

https://petition.parliament.uk/.

I also see the left wing brigade out in force wanting to block Trump from entering the country.

Ah, I see, it's OK for Trump to want to block all Muslims from entering the USA but not OK for people here to suggest we block one person from entering the UK? Personally I think Trump has just proved he's much more extreme and much more dangerous than 99.9% of all of the Muslims in the world.

I'd like him to come. Then he will be mocked relentlessly and we could all do with a laugh.

It would be interesting (okay, alarming too) if Trump was elected, to see how Cameron et al would react.

I can imagine the smarm already - "Congratulations, Mr President. Oh don't worry about what I apparently said over a year ago, I was misquoted. I look forward to maintaining and indeed re-invigorating the Special Relationship" - or something similar.

Do people really think it would be any different? Let's face it, the online banning petition will be dismissed in a very few words, although perhaps things might be different if he had zero chance of being the Republican nominee (and wasn't extremely wealthy)

5 hours ago, Dougal said:

That would be a lot of mad hair in one place if they did meet. 

If Trump gets the White House and Corbyn gets No10 (ha!), I think we can say goodbye to the 'special relationship'.

In any case this 'special relationship' has been one of mind over matter for years now - the Americans don't mind and we don't matter. :)

14 hours ago, Hocus Pocus said:

The difference being the Jews weren't killing thousands of innocent people Nick, that's the crux of the argument.

And the whole Muslim world isn't killing innocent people either. Idiots masking behind islam pretending to be Muslim are killing people. There is absolutely no room in the world for segregation his comments are almost akin to something Hitler would have spouted.  He's an absolute disgrace and an ignorant dangerous one at that. 

5 hours ago, The PIT said:

On the other side of the coin I walk through a strong Asian area with several mosques and have been a victim of racial abuse on numerous occasions and witnessed racial abuse of other people.  Not far from where I live one small area cars and buses have had issues being attacked and white people have been warned that it's a Muslim area and you're not welcome. This areas aren't deprived at all btw.

Sadly your view of treating others as you would yourself doesn't get the chance to get of the ground.

Dare I say it PIT but it would be possible to get over the situations described - what the situation needs is integration - though I suspect that this kind of behaviour is down to a small minority of the people there and the more people take notice of what they are saying and doing the worse it makes them - it gives them some sort of warped self esteem and that's how the problem grows - it would take quite a bit of hard work and tongue biting but it could be done - one important factor would be to ignore the fact that they say it is a Muslim area altogether - after all it is still England. Perhaps when they find they little antics are not having an effect they will tire of it. 

23 minutes ago, Steve C said:

It would be interesting (okay, alarming too) if Trump was elected, to see how Cameron et al would react.

I can imagine the smarm already - "Congratulations, Mr President. Oh don't worry about what I apparently said over a year ago, I was misquoted. I look forward to maintaining and indeed re-invigorating the Special Relationship" - or something similar.

Do people really think it would be any different? Let's face it, the online banning petition will be dismissed in a very few words, although perhaps things might be different if he had zero chance of being the Republican nominee (and wasn't extremely wealthy)

I would help if candidates were to be chosen by a selection committee of their party, similar to our UK system rather than by popular appeal and mob rule.

It would still be possible for him to run for President as an individual but not as a Republican. Take away the support of this party and his chances of taking the White House would be very much diminished.

1 hour ago, P-M said:

And the whole Muslim world isn't killing innocent people either. Idiots masking behind islam pretending to be Muslim are killing people. There is absolutely no room in the world for segregation his comments are almost akin to something Hitler would have spouted.  He's an absolute disgrace and an ignorant dangerous one at that. 

No they are Muslims  not pretending to be, as in their eyes they are fulfilling what the Koran says, which just like the bible can be distorted and used as evidence for the cause. The only part of this story I agree with with him on is how there are  areas in the UK which have become no go areas for non Muslims, we can't deny this but some are burying their  heads in the sand and ignoring the problem. The question is why is this being allowed to happen.

6 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

No they are Muslims  not pretending to be, as in their eyes they are fulfilling what the Koran says, which just like the bible can be distorted and used as evidence for the cause. The only part of this story I agree with with him on is how there are  areas in the UK which have become no go areas for non Muslims, we can't deny this but some are burying their  heads in the sand and ignoring the problem. The question is why is this being allowed to happen.

There are also no-go areas for those wearing the wrong trainers...

Why is it allowed to happen? Well, we do have a government committed to neutering the Police Force, for a start? A very strange response to a difficult and complex set of problems, IMO.

Just now, Ed Stone said:

There are also no-go areas for those wearing the wrong trainers...

Why is it allowed to happen? Well, we do have a government committed to neutering the Police Force, for a start? A very strange response to a difficult and complex set of problems, IMO.

But we cannot deny what I've said and can we stop the pretence that ISIS are somehow not Muslims, they are just that they're fundamentalist but they're still Muslims.  As for the government and the police, well this goes back much further than the present government and the blame can lay firmly at Labour's door not only for that but also the mass open door policy on immigration which has lead us to here.

4 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

But we cannot deny what I've said and can we stop the pretence that ISIS are somehow not Muslims, they are just that they're fundamentalist but they're still Muslims.  As for the government and the police, well this goes back much further than the present government and the blame can lay firmly at Labour's door not only for that but also the mass open door policy on immigration which has lead us to here.

I must have missed this. Do you ever tire of being wrong?

Edited by cheese

1 minute ago, cheese said:

You're right it was never a policy and it wasn't mentioned in their 1997 manifesto, Labour did it without telling anyone and then bragged about it after they lost power.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10055613/Labour-sent-out-search-parties-for-immigrants-Lord-Mandelson-admits.html

1 minute ago, cheese said:

Well obviously the facts aren't your strong point as that"s what labour did and were famously quoted on. Perhaps you'll like to present a more rounded counter argument, still it's better than your previous reply so it's a start I suppose.

13 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Of course Labour must take their fair share of the blame - for their policy of encouraging citizens of the EU to emigrate to the UK at a rate too fast to handle. That said, the way I see it, the Muslim population has predominantly originated from outwith the EU. And, they are still arriving - in spite of Hameron's pathetic 2010 election promise?

BTW, I'm yet to have any problems with any Muslim. Indeed,I've had more problems with thick, arrogant and white skinheads!

You see, we all have our own individual factoids to share.:D

3 hours ago, Dougal said:

There were very similar fears when Reagan became President in what were very sensitive political times. I grew up in East Anglia and was well used to USAF jets from Bentwaters and Lakenheath practising extreme low level flying over our house. On several occasions the air raid siren went off, and we only found out days later that it was a test. The threat of nuclear attack from USSR seemed very real. Having a commie hating ex actor with his finger on the red button seemed a terrifying prospect at the time.

Good point, but I think Donald is an even scarier prospect than Ronald.

1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Good news is if he gets banned that will go down very well for Trump and will boost his Polls much higher then when he is president he can come here :) 

Trumpy strikes me as the kind of person who thinks nuclear war isn't such a bad idea, especially if he can aim some  spare missiles at Mexico. Then after the world has been leveled, he can come out of his bunker and start building planet Trump.

Just thought I'd leave this here. I don't think I need to say much more

12342421_10153487970703300_5563293986329

5 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Having quote issues too. Sorry, alexisj9, it's trying to use a previous quote.

We really should kick into the long grass this point that a Muslim is a Muslim, whether they be a jihadist or a peaceful citizen. It is pedantry which we cannot pursue if we are to successfully isolate the ISIS nutters from decent Muslims in the eyes of the unthinking man (Donald Trump, Daily Mail readers etc).

In the eighties many football clubs had followers who took Stanley knives to matches, while others took their kids. The media consistently referred to the terrace yobs as 'supporters' so everyone got tarred with the same brush. 

Its very, very important to make a firm distinction between the vast majority of honest, decent people and the few idiots who try to hide amongst them.

Edited by Dougal