Local
Radar
Pollen

US Politics

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
    2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You only had to see some of the Americans interviewed who are supporting Trump to realize that his supporters are just as stupid and hate filled as the man himself.  He is a recruiting sergeant for IS because his disgusting rhetoric will be used by them to get more supporters.

Agreed. Lumping together and marginalising all Muslims is not the way forward.

• Like 2

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I have never been to a place in this country where I felt uncomfortable because of the Muslim presence.

I'll have to agree with that. There's not many roads I haven't walked down at some point in Stockport and South Manchester, and I've felt more on edge in some of the predominately white estates in Stockport than the likes of Longsight or Rushholme.

I wouldn't recommend trying to deliver giros on a Saturday morning in Brinnington....

...although it's all done online these days!

Edited by March Blizzard
    • Like 1

Posted
    2 minutes ago, March Blizzard said:

I'll have to agree with that. There's not many roads I haven't walked down at some point in Stockport and South Manchester, and I've felt more on edge is some of the predominately white estates in Stockport that the likes of Longsight or Rushholme.

I wouldn't recommend trying to deliver giros on a Saturday morning in Brinnington....

...although it's all done online these days!

I have to disagree   maybe its differnet areas  but there are many parts of this area  that are and i have to say it   no go zones.   Birmingham for one  Sparkhill Sparkbrook  Saltney Handsworth,  I could go on .

• Like 4

Posted
    4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I have to disagree   maybe its differnet areas  but there are many parts of this area  that are and i have to say it   no go zones.   Birmingham for one  Sparkhill Sparkbrook  Saltney Handsworth,  I could go on .

But because of Muslims?

The only times I've felt uncomfortable in places is because they're just generally rough. Or when walking out of a football match and you just have to keep your head down.

But either way, the worst areas of British cities are far, far safer than the worst areas of US cities. I once drove into a dodgy area of New Orleans by mistake, I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

But because of Muslims?

The only times I've felt uncomfortable in places is because they're just generally rough. Or when walking out of a football match and you just have to keep your head down.

But either way, the worst areas of British cities are far, far safer than the worst areas of US cities. I once drove into a dodgy area of New Orleans by mistake, I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Most certainly because of muslims. The hatred out there on both sides  i might add is  very high.  I have been told numerous of times that i shoild get out of certain areas  because of the colour of my skin .  Not just in Birmingham   parts of wolverhampton also.  There is a clear dividing line being drawn   and i can only see it getting worse  over the years , with anamosity growing on both sides.    Education is the key  but i feel this is a losing battle.

• Like 5

Posted
    Just now, weirpig said:

Most certainly because of muslims. The hatred out there on both sides  i might add is  very high.  I have been told numerous of times that i shoild get out of certain areas  because of the colour of my skin .  Not just in Birmingham   parts of wolverhampton also.  There is a clear dividing line being drawn   and i can only see it getting worse  over the years , with anamosity growing on both sides.    Education is the key  but i feel this is a losing battle.

I just don't sense it at all, and I live in a town that harboured one of the 7/7 bombers! 

But like you said, education and getting moderate Muslims (which are the vast majority) on our side is the way forward, not further divisions which will just play into the extremists hands.

• Like 2

Posted
    3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I just don't sense it at all, and I live in a town that harboured one of the 7/7 bombers! 

But like you said, education and getting moderate Muslims (which are the vast majority) on our side is the way forward, not further divisions which will just play into the extremists hands.

But why  wouldnt moderate muslims be on our side anyway?   And as you have just stated in your sentence  "our side"     There will always be a division. 

• Like 5

Posted
    Just now, weirpig said:

But why  wouldnt moderate muslims be on our side anyway?   And as you have just stated in your sentence  "our side"     There will always be a division. 

Because of comments such as those by Donald Trump which are lumping them with the extremists. And of course there will always be a division in beliefs, but surely we can co-exist?!

Posted
    1 hour ago, Nick L said:
    10 minutes ago, weirpig said:

It's a losing battle because successive governments fail to address it out of cowardice. I thought we would have learned after Rotherham and the damning report about it but apparently not. Integration is key, but local councils are not even trying. The fact that Sharia courts and FGM are even a thing in this country is disgraceful. This is something that mostly muslims campaign against by the way because white people are too scared to campaign against it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sharia-courts-in-the-uk-should-be-stopped-from-presiding-over-divorces-campaigners-warn-a6762721.html

Groups like the EDL are simply moronic reactionaries, but they are reacting to a very real problem, even if they do go on to then propose racist solutions, and to blame just them and not the causes of their reactions means the problem will never go away. In fact it will probably drive more people to them. Shut down Saudi-funded Wahhabi Mosques, crack down on communities that ignore British law and live by Sharia and watch integration increase and the support of EDL decrease.

Edited by Snowy L
    • Like 6

Posted
    39 minutes ago, weirpig said:

No-go zones exist because of poverty and ghettoisation leading to a crime culture, not because of religion. That's why different dangerous areas in UK cities are home to different minorities. 

Of course, alienating minorities can still lead to this. Brussels and its many divisions is a case in point here: there's no coincidence that it's a hotbed for terrorist activity. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    4 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

I like Donald Trump ,afterall he's fun to take the jaffa cakes out of ....

For now that's true enough, however if they actually vote for him, the joke will wear thin very quick. 

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

I live in Watford where there is a fairly large Moslem population with two mosques in the town, one just up the road from where I live, I have never had a problem. My neighbours are Muslims from Pakistan and my wife and I have been invited to two weddings in their family and we found them to be very colourful and enjoyable affairs and I really love those big drums with the bent sticks.

When I was working freelance after retirement from the 'Old Bill' a lot of my work took me to Southall where you really do have to play the game 'spot the white man' but I found it to be a colourful interesting area without any problems from the people I was seeing.

My view is to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself regardless of colour race, religion and cultural background and in my experience most have responded favourably. Some don't but I suggest this is more due to the character of the person rather than his race.

There is a lot of talk about dissention in different areas but I suggest the places where the problems are, are deprived areas where the people feel ignored and left out and it would not matter whether the residents were white, Asian or whatever there would still be problems because of the inequalities they perceive.

• Like 6

Posted

In response to Trump's comments, Boris Johnson responded by saying "The only reason I wouldn't go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump," 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snow
    3 hours ago, mike Meehan said:

I live in Watford where there is a fairly large Moslem population with two mosques in the town, one just up the road from where I live, I have never had a problem. My neighbours are Muslims from Pakistan and my wife and I have been invited to two weddings in their family and we found them to be very colourful and enjoyable affairs and I really love those big drums with the bent sticks.

When I was working freelance after retirement from the 'Old Bill' a lot of my work took me to Southall where you really do have to play the game 'spot the white man' but I found it to be a colourful interesting area without any problems from the people I was seeing.

My view is to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself regardless of colour race, religion and cultural background and in my experience most have responded favourably. Some don't but I suggest this is more due to the character of the person rather than his race.

There is a lot of talk about dissention in different areas but I suggest the places where the problems are, are deprived areas where the people feel ignored and left out and it would not matter whether the residents were white, Asian or whatever there would still be problems because of the inequalities they perceive.

I could not agree more with Mike's comments, not least with " Some don't but I suggest this is more due to the character of the person rather than his race.". 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud
    2 hours ago, Nick L said:

In response to Trump's comments, Boris Johnson responded by saying "The only reason I wouldn't go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump," 

That would be a lot of mad hair in one place if they did meet. 

If Trump gets the White House and Corbyn gets No10 (ha!), I think we can say goodbye to the 'special relationship'.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
    3 hours ago, mike Meehan said:

On the other side of the coin I walk through a strong Asian area with several mosques and have been a victim of racial abuse on numerous occasions and witnessed racial abuse of other people.  Not far from where I live one small area cars and buses have had issues being attacked and white people have been warned that it's a Muslim area and you're not welcome. This areas aren't deprived at all btw.

Sadly your view of treating others as you would yourself doesn't get the chance to get of the ground.

• Like 6

Posted
    3 hours ago, Dougal said:

That would be a lot of mad hair in one place if they did meet. 

If Trump gets the White House and Corbyn gets No10 (ha!), I think we can say goodbye to the 'special relationship'.

If that means we say goodby to America's campaign in the middle east that may not be a bad thing. Trumps gone too far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
    13 hours ago, Weather-history said:

This guy is a political idiot. He may be a billionaire but when it comes to politics, he's an idiot and frankly a dangerous one. If a British politician had for example mocked someone's disability in front of an audience, they would have been roasted alive but this guy carry's on without a care in the world. 

Surely Americans are not daft enough to let this goon be President? 

Hello Weather History,

Re your final paragraph, yes the Americans are daft enough, after all they did elect Ronald Reagan and George Bush senior and not forgetting Tricky Dicky Nixon.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud
    50 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

If that means we say goodby to America's campaign in the middle east that may not be a bad thing. Trumps gone too far. 

Would also mean losing a huge amount of shared intelligence with the CIA and a likely decline in the massive investment between the UK and USA.

McDonnell would be bringing his little red book to the despatch box on a regular basis as more investment by the Chinese would be necessary and inevitable.

For those, on both sides of the Atlantic, wishing for an end to beige politics, be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

Posted
    4 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Would also mean losing a huge amount of shared intelligence with the CIA and a likely decline in the massive investment between the UK and USA.

McDonnell would be bringing his little red book to the despatch box on a regular basis as more investment by the Chinese would be necessary and inevitable.

For those, on both sides of the Atlantic, wishing for an end to beige politics, be careful what you wish for.

I'm not sure I trust the CIA to be honest. Ok with somethings, but lie through their teeth sometimes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I honestly don't know how anyone can look at Obama (who i don't get why so many people hate him so much - he seems pretty decent to me) and then look at Trump and think Trump is  a better candidate.

He reminds me of that embarrassing (normally older) relative we all have that seems to have swallowed the very worst of The Daily Mail and The Sun and regurgitates it into embarrassing sound bites. Plus you should never trust someone who refers to themselves in the third person. 

• Like 4

Posted
    45 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Hello Weather History,

Re your final paragraph, yes the Americans are daft enough, after all they did elect Ronald Reagan and George Bush senior and not forgetting Tricky Dicky Nixon.

Kind Regards

Dave

45 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Hello Weather History,

Kind Regards

Dave

Those above at least had experience in politics. Reagan was a pretty decent President. Reagan and Nixon were seen as arch anti communists but who are the US presidents that are seen as opening up ties and relations with the arch Cold War opponents? Nixon via China, less so USSR and Reagan with Gorbachev.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Trump is the pig ignorant, bigoted, boorish, racist, superannuated @rsehole who sits on a stool in the pub putting the world to rights. But he's a billionaire so he gets to propagate his demented mince to the world at large. It's not surprising he's reasonably popular though, as there's no end of idiots in America and beyond. He won't win an election: indeed he's actually scuppering the Republicans chances.

Posted
    13 hours ago, lfcdude said:

That is the Americans people right to decide.. The same if their wish to close their borders to potential terrorists and illegal Mexican workers... For America to decide 

The NRA and gun lobbies 'control' the gun laws, not the President or the people. Even I the President pushed as hard as he could and the people voted to strongly regulate or ban guns, it wouldn't get through because they gun lobbies have so much power. All the time they have so much power, nothing will change. It's effectively the same as putting tobacco companies in charge of smoking.

They ban Kinder Eggs for mongoose sake because they are deemed dangerous.

• Like 2

Posted
    12 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Hillary is such an improvement isn't she.

Why does everyone banh on about Hilary as if she's the only alternative. Bernie Sanders is gaining popularity rapidly.

• Like 1