Sign in to follow this  
Weather-history

US Politics

In answer to Weather09...Of course people's political and religious beliefs are open to question; mine, yours and everybody's...But that's a far cry from lumping 'all Muslims' or 'all blacks' as being, respectively, either terrorists or lazy.

I hope I've avoided the straw man?? Who knows?:D

4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

"Now, it would still be a long shot for a candidate that is as conservative as Cruz to obtain the Republican nomination"

I've noticed this a few times when articles are referring to Trump and now Ted Cruz. Do they not realise that these two people, particularly Trump are miles ahead of all the other candidates? As for Cruz, a private meeting with his donors was leaked, where he said temporarily cosying up to Trump and his sentiments was part of his plan, before then switching and attacking them.

I think Rubio is still considered favourite, just because the republicans will need someone that can pull people over from the centre if they actually want to win, where as Cruz and Trump are considered much too conservative to achieve that. Also, from reading about, it seems that while Trump has a pretty loyal group, he's generally disliked and has alienated himself from many of the other republicans. So when the others start dropping out of the race, and voters have to change who they support, most of that extra support will go to Rubio and then Cruz, rather than Trump.

Och well, me old mucker...You really do come across as a bit of a 'half-wit'! Nowt much I can do about that...Bye bye...:wallbash:

1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

In answer to Weather09...Of course people's political and religious beliefs are open to question; mine, yours and everybody's...But that's a far cry from lumping 'all Muslims' or 'all blacks' as being, respectively, either terrorists or lazy.

I hope I've avoided the straw man?? Who knows?:D

Indeed. I think Islam is just as nonsensical as any other religion. But as long as it doesn't affect me people can believe whatever stories they want in my opinion!

2 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Of course, the old ad hominem. The move that someone plays when they have no argument to come back with.  

Clearly, you're not fit to take part in a rational discussion.  

Clearly you, yourself, are completely incapable of such...As I said before 'Bye bye'!:rofl:

Which religion isn't a religion of peace?

17 minutes ago, weather09 said:

If someone says any one religion is not a religion of peace, and gives evidence to show that that is indeed so, the response from you should not be to call that person a bigot.  If they point to an ancient text and say 'this doesn't read like peace to me', you shouldn't then shout bigot.

Well, I'd question anyone suggesting that any (mainstream) religion isn't a religion of peace for most of those practising it. Its impossible to provide evidence to counter that. 

Likewise, I'd question anyone suggesting any religion is one that is totally peaceful / all it's adherents are angels.

The main point is that if the vast majority of people practising or preaching a religion are peaceful, the religion is by default a peaceful one.

Edited by scottish skier

2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Indeed. I think Islam is just as nonsensical as any other religion. But as long as it doesn't affect me people can believe whatever stories they want in my opinion!

Absolutely, Nick...Some people need to hate? I can only assume that it makes them feel better?

Just now, weather09 said:

Pathetic.  Yet proving my point.  Nobody is hating here, Ed. Instead of being civil and saying ' I disagree, weather09, and here's why', you opt for the condescending tone and imply that I'm hating a people.  Nothing in my post comes close.  And all this done with the aim of shutting down conversations.

Disgusting behaviour.  

Who mentioned you? Are you really the centre of attention? Grow up!:wallbash:

Which means, Weather09, that we ought to be on the same side...What on earth are you arguing about?

We are, Ed.  

I was simply making the point that when anyone criticises a religious belief/idea, they shouldn't automatically be labelled the terms I've mentioned above. That's all.

Anyway, think this conversation has run its course.

27 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Which means, Weather09, that we ought to be on the same side...What on earth are you arguing about?

Yes, he seems determined to be angry about something....

Back to 'the Donald', I'd be amazed if he can maintain that level of support for any length of time. When the serious political questions get asked, his bluster is going to look pretty amateurish.

Edited by Dougal

The thought which occurred to me is that the name 'Trump' is similar to the French verb, 'Tromper' only we use a 'U' instead of an 'O' and when you look at the various definitions you get this;

verb

deceive

tromper, duper, décevoir, simuler, faire tromper

delude

tromper, illusionner, duper

cozen

tromper, tenter

mislead

tromper, égarer, dévoyer, faire tromper

fool

tromper, duper, ridiculiser, perdre son temps, faire le pitre, faire truquer

dupe

duper, tromper

take in

prendre, recevoir, saisir, recueillir, reprendre, tromper

cheat

tricher, tromper, frauder, escroquer, faire tromper

betray

trahir, tromper, révéler, être traître à, décevoir

lure

tromper, attirer par la ruse

beguile

séduire, tromper, distraire, duper, piller, subjuguer

impose

imposer, infliger, abuser, tromper, s'imposer à

baffle

dérouter, déconcerter, tromper, défier, échapper à, décevoir

Just musing :)

Edited by mike Meehan

Republican main debate about to start... 

Here is the last few polls 

12341063_10156416834845725_9572285968517

Also todays Iowa poll from a hour ago

12341405_10156416897695725_8151400175579

6 hours ago, weather09 said:

Of course, the old ad hominem. The move that someone plays when they have no argument to come back with.  

Clearly, you're not fit to take part in a rational discussion.  

Oh the irony....

That Cruz character is an oddball. hard to understand why he is skyrocketing.

5 hours ago, lfcdude said:

CRUZ WANTS TO BE TRUMPS RUNNING MATE WOW

Has he made that official?

The Republicans are just generally unpleasant, hate-filled and divisive. One of the candidates even wants to reverse the same-sex marriage legalisation.

I'm positively beaming with pride the morn. :)

http://www.smh.com.au/world/donald-trump-blasts-scotlands-smallminded-mentality-after-wind-farm-court-blow-20151216-glpe2f.html

Donald Trump blasts Scotland's 'small-minded mentality' after wind farm court blow

London: Donald Trump denounced the Scottish government as "foolish, small minded and parochial" on Wednesday after the U.S. Republican presidential front runner lost a long-running legal battle with his mother's homeland.

Edited by scottish skier

2 hours ago, Nick L said:

The Republicans are just generally unpleasant, hate-filled and divisive. One of the candidates even wants to reverse the same-sex marriage legalisation.

I watched the debate last night and I finally saw what people mean when they call republicans crazy, at least in some of the candidates. Fiorina and Kasich in particular were basically agitating for world war 3. They have this unreasonable hatred of Iran and Russia and Trump was even called a democrat for daring to suggest we work with Russia temporarily until ISIL are defeated.

4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

I watched the debate last night and I finally saw what people mean when they call republicans crazy, at least in some of the candidates. Fiorina and Kasich in particular were basically agitating for world war 3. They have this unreasonable hatred of Iran and Russia and Trump was even called a democrat for daring to suggest we work with Russia temporarily until ISIL are defeated.

They're completely nuts. Some Republicans are just so stupid it's dangerous that they're within even a sniff of power.