Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic storm Gertrude

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Storm Gertrude has has been officially named amber warnings are in force from the met office

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1454025600

Storm Gertrude is the first named storm of 2016 and the 7th since November

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

And if she turns out to be as fierce as predicted it'll be another insurance claim for me! The builders are currently on my roof repairing the damage that Frankie boy caused just after Christmas. I hope all their hard work isn't undone by Gertie!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
6 minutes ago, heccygabber said:

70mph gusts here for a time, if it doesn't downgrade:D

Same for here or there about anyway!

• Like 1

Posted

Gertrude has arrived just in-time as i'm hoping to synch up my new webcam to video-timelapses, hopefully get some good video of turbulent skies in the coming few days. Peak gusts of 60mph for us in the Pennines with plenty of rain to come over the next 48hr.

Posted

The peak of the winds do look quite brief to my eyes(no more than 6 hours perhaps), whilst there could be some localised damage/disruption, I don't see anything too major at this stage on a more widespread scale. 

I wonder if Monday's low pressure system will get named, there is potential for that low to become quite tightly packed I feel and the strongest gusts could very much last longer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

If the GFS is correct then Orkney, Shetland  & Fair Isle could experience hurricane force winds tomorrow from Gertrude. 

gfs18.thumb.png.b153bdc150d62d8055ea35b3gfs19.thumb.png.4137ce0cbc79f5337f520361

Gusts look pretty extreme, possibly gusts over 100mph? Normally these storms get downgraded but not this time and it's only a matter of hours away. 

gfs20.thumb.png.31a8e6b51b7640fe22823846gfs21.thumb.png.f088c626e988e45c10ae2acbgfs22.thumb.png.37f61d8aab5486bae49f86df

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Winds are already ramping up around here - expecting a few bad gusts early hours and in the morning but nothing too extreme in these parts. 

53 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

If the GFS is correct then Orkney, Shetland  & Fair Isle could experience hurricane force winds tomorrow from Gertrude. 

gfs18.thumb.png.b153bdc150d62d8055ea35b3gfs19.thumb.png.4137ce0cbc79f5337f520361

Gusts look pretty extreme, possibly gusts over 100mph? Normally these storms get downgraded but not this time and it's only a matter of hours away. 

gfs20.thumb.png.31a8e6b51b7640fe22823846gfs21.thumb.png.f088c626e988e45c10ae2acbgfs22.thumb.png.37f61d8aab5486bae49f86df

GFS shows 91 mph gusts for Fair Isle at 12pm on Friday but the Met Office forecast for Fair Isle gives 68 mph gusts so either one of them is right or wrong.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Zenarcher said:

GFS shows 91 mph gusts for Fair Isle at 12pm on Friday but the Met Office forecast for Fair Isle gives 68 mph gusts so either one of them is right or wrong.

Met Office can be quite conservative with gusts at times but the warning does say gusts up to 90mph which is certainly possible looking at the charts, very tight gradient modelled south of Gertrude's core. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the forecasts on the beeb are confusing people as they expect this to continue throughout the weekend which it isn't the case. A rare slight upgrade at the last minute for Friday. Sunny Sheffield could well see a 60 mph during the morning. All over by the afternoon then fairly uneventful until Monday. For us Mondays storm looks more prolonged.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, The PIT said:

Well the forecasts on the beeb are confusing people as they expect this to continue throughout the weekend which it isn't the case. A rare slight upgrade at the last minute for Friday. Sunny Sheffield could well see a 60 mph during the morning. All over by the afternoon then fairly uneventful until Monday. For us Mondays storm looks more prolonged.

Have to admit I'm more concerned about Monday. The winds look to be much more widespread across the mainland north of the border and I'd expect damage from that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 hours ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Have to admit I'm more concerned about Monday. The winds look to be much more widespread across the mainland north of the border and I'd expect damage from that.

While Monday is looking nasty, tomorrow is looking very concerning. The Central Belt will see a spike in wind speeds through tomorrow morning along a squall-type feature, gusts widely reaching 70mph even inland.

The really crazy windspeeds will be across Orkney and Shetland, both EC and Euro 4 showing gusts comfortably above 100mph.

Posted

Gusting to 54 mph here and averaging gale force 7 just now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

91mph gust at South Uist

Posted

max gust 64mph which probably be the high

Posted

Sustained wind of 69mph at Inverbervie gust 87mph @ 6am! Top gust 91mph South Uist so far, Machrihanish hit 84mph -  http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted

I was looking out the window around 7 am and there was a huge gust of wind accompanied by a sudden blueish brightening in the sky, not as fast as lightning, you know, not the on/off type flash. It faded in the same manner and then brightened again, this time much brighter. I think I was only seeing the edge of it and the source was out of view. No idea what it was, but our lights are flickering. Is it possible it was leccy lines coming down near me? Or some strange weather thingie?