Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

NHS 111 good enough ??

A lot of blame has been put on the 111 service after a tragic death http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35410840

I can't see how the operator can take a baby screaming as an emergency even more so when they were told a doctor had previously seen the child.

For me the child needed to see a doctor and we all know the modern doctor very rarely will leave the comfort of the surgery indeed some won't at all. This was one thing that needs correcting.

I would have taken the child to a walk in service sadly now being closed or straight to the hospital.

No I don't think they are. I phoned them up once when my son was three, I had dropped a plate, it smashed, he tried to pick a piece up. Obviously I was saying no, but he did it anyway, and cut open his hand, between two fingers right up to the knuckle bone. Phoned them for advise on where to take him to get it stitched. It was 9 pm and the local A and e closes at 5. I'd only just moved over here, they said stop the bleeding and take him to the buckland hospital in the AM. I was sitting there with him screaming for half hour or so while putting pressure on the cut, when they should have told me to take him to ashford. I didn't know anything about anything over here yet. I literally thought there was no A and E till morning otherwise they would have told me where to go.

Well that goes back to cuts elsewhere why does the local a& e close???

19 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well that goes back to cuts elsewhere why does the local a& e close???

It's only a nurse run unit for day time hours, doesn't do major's, just cut's and minor broken bones etc. Only full time units in east Kent ashford and margate.

12 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

If I remember right a lot of teenagers have been employed to handle the 111 calls. It's not a qualified service and they're probably reading from this script.

https://www.nhs.uk/symptom-checker/general-assessment/start

Well it worked for my eczema but depened on me knowing it was that.

Discussion last night round this basic thoughts were unqualified staff doing the call handling and near impossibility of getting a gp's appointment. The people involved are either looking after someone seriously ill or seriously ill themselves. Too show how about the local gp is. Appointment refused by receptionist while having an heart attack at the reception desk. Appointments and home visits refused to her husband while dying of terminal cancer. Medication refused until you get an appointment but you can't get an appointment.

The Tory Government does need to make all round improvement.

Good Morning Pit,

You are spot on with your assessment. I and friends have experienced the following:- 

• Phone 111 for advice at night
  • Told to go to pharmacist the next day.
  • Pharmacist visited and told they cannot help go to doctor
  • Cannot get an appointment at the doctors for several more days
  • Condition deteriorates, would go to Walk in Centre, but closed due to financial cut backs (but presented as an improved service!)
  • Go to A & E and wait up to 7 hours for treatment. 
  • Asked why did not go to GP 

You cannot make it up.

In our area the situation can only get worse with much housing development ongoing in both our local authority and neighboring ones which attend our district hospital

Kind Regards

Dave