Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stewfox

Cant change default browser on new PC

Recommended Posts

I have a new PC ( I sat on my last one and damaged the mother board)

I have purchased and uploaded Mcfee  anti virus software and the PC seems to have Mozilla Firefox already install 

I cant seem to set default browser to google chrome (preferred) or even google

Every search it goes to Yahoo which I don't like

I have looked at settings + on line help nothing seems to work

Any assistance ?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All a bit strange, never heard of one with Firefox pre-installed.
Is it Windows 10?
I wouldn't be surprised if that *antivirus* installed and locked in the Yahoo search.

If you have W10 with inbuilt Defender, and are reasonably experienced online I can't see much need for Antivirus nowadays.
Especially dodgy versions that try to install other stuff when you download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 4wd said:

All a bit strange, never heard of one with Firefox pre-installed.
Is it Windows 10?
I wouldn't be surprised if that *antivirus* installed and locked in the Yahoo search.

If you have W10 with inbuilt Defender, and are reasonably experienced online I can't see much need for Antivirus nowadays.
Especially dodgy versions that try to install other stuff when you download.

Would firefox come with Mcfee , i paid for mcfee used code etc

I cant get rid of this default yahoo search

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does sound like Firefox will default to yahoo search sometimes, have you considered using chrome?
You should be able to change the default search in Firefox like this:

Click the 'hamburger' options top right.
Select Options
From the menu on the left select search.
There should be a drop down list with the well known ones.
At the bottom is an option to add more search engines, in particular you might want to add google.co.uk rather than google.com.

If it keeps reverting there's something else been installed usually as an easily missed checkbox.
It should still be possible to switch that off without doing anything drastic though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stewfox said:

I have a new PC ( I sat on my last one and damaged the mother board)

I have purchased and uploaded Mcfee  anti virus software and the PC seems to have Mozilla Firefox already install 

I cant seem to set default browser to google chrome (preferred) or even google

Every search it goes to Yahoo which I don't like

I have looked at settings + on line help nothing seems to work

Any assistance ?

Assuming you have windows 10

Click the start button (bottom left)

Click settings (should be above the power button)

Click the system button (display, notifications, apps, power)

Click default apps

At the bottom you'll see web browser your current default one will be shown click it and it will bring up which others are installed click your preferred one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could uninstall Firefox and then install Chrome, it will ask you if you want it as your default browser.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Assuming you have windows 10

Click the start button (bottom left)

Click settings (should be above the power button)

Click the system button (display, notifications, apps, power)

Click default apps

At the bottom you'll see web browser your current default one will be shown click it and it will bring up which others are installed click your preferred one

I have done this but still defaults to Yahoo , seem to have mcfee doing it

I can set my default browser as chrome but any search in there and it goes back to yahoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, stewfox said:

I have done this but still defaults to Yahoo , seem to have mcfee doing it

I can set my default browser as chrome but any search in there and it goes back to yahoo

You've got one of two issues. Either an extension is hijacking your settings (which is quite common)  or it's McAfee causing the issue; https://community.mcafee.com/thread/74654?tstart=0

If someone was to post asking on help for anti-virus/security software, I wouldn't recommend McAfee, just like I wouldn't recommend Norton. Eset's NOD32 is the way to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stewfox said:

Would firefox come with Mcfee , i paid for mcfee used code etC

 

 

 

Whatever you do, get rid of Mcafee as it is the worst anti-virus software out there. Stick with the built in Windows Defender on Windows 10, it's way better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove yahoo from add remove programs or remove the plugin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...