Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 21st Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wasn't expecting to see such an active & volatile looking Atlantic driven pattern again this winter, a very disturbed outlook into next week which could bring disruptive weather with some very wet and very windy weather on the cards. Renewed flooding a real possibility along with a risk of gales or severe gales at times. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Wasn't expecting to see such an active & volatile looking Atlantic driven pattern again this winter, a very disturbed outlook into next week which could bring disruptive weather with some very wet and very windy weather on the cards. Renewed flooding a real possibility along with a risk of gales or severe gales at times. 

Bit like groundhog day watching that gfs00z run, just wind and rain,wind and rain as the euro high/PV combo prevents anything other than glancing blows to the far north of pm air.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Lets hope the displacement of the Vortex does not take this route

gensnh-18-1-240.png

There is a massive change brewing for February and I expect more hints of Mid Feb cold from the METO before very long

MT8_Manchester_ens.png GFS ensembles starting to go in to "Head scrambled mode"

Some cracking Peturbs now raising their heads

gensnh-16-1-240.png

Edit ECM and GEM now also showing the displacement comencing

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_ECH1-216.gif

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gemnh-0-240.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
6 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Very interesting model analysis by Simon Keeling. Remember, don't run away with the thought of December 2010 repeating itself after watching this. http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php

Nice to see Mr Keeling getting "mildly" excited.

• Like 3

Posted
42 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Bit like groundhog day watching that gfs00z run, just wind and rain,wind and rain as the euro high/PV combo prevents anything other than glancing blows to the far north of pm air.

Well it's fairly depressing to see this Atlantic conveyor belt, especially given that just a couple of days ago this outrageous piece of Ice Age flirtation showed up:

56a1d55cd2355_ScreenShot2016-01-20at15.5

56a1d5620d0fb_ScreenShot2016-01-20at15.5

56a1d59a9be8d_ScreenShot2016-01-20at15.5

56a1d5b6d0480_ScreenShot2016-01-20at15.5

It wasn't even particularly long range. I suppose the positive to take from that is that it can just easily flip again.

• Like 8

Posted

Remember, if all the charts aren't showing a snowmaggedon , there is probably a cold spell in the offing.

How is the reliability of the charts after the last 3 weeks debacle?  They are still flipping about I gather.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 00z op at least shows occasional polar maritime incursions, especially brushing across the north with wintry ppn and night frosts at times which is better than constant mild...in my opinion:D

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu (1).png

h850t850eu (2).png

prectypeuktopo.png

h850t850eu (3).png

• Like 5

Posted

The Ecm 00z op also shows a very mobile pattern with some very mild days, especially sun/mon and wed but some cooler / colder days too, especially further north with occasional wintry ppn, particularly on northern hills. it's a changeable /unsettled outlook with bouts of wet and windy weather, the most unsettled conditions across the north with the best of any fine weather in the south. By the end of the run the jet looks to be digging further south which opens up wintry possibilities beyond T+240 hours.:)

ecmt850.144.png

ecmt850.192.png

ecmt850.240.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

At first glance the charts look dreadful, however as you can see the vortex looks to be on the move with the main chunk heading toward Scandinavia. We may have to endure some less cold but fairly windy weather first before some more favourable charts begin to appear over the next few weeks (for cold that is).

If things land right Feb could be a good one! And let's all hope it is worth the wait...

gfsnh-0-120.thumb.png.81c71f88468e836414gfsnh-0-216.thumb.png.1e6b6e9f14abd04eb5

ECH1-120.GIF.thumb.png.227b6befcb712e753ECH1-240.GIF.thumb.png.608ca7ec82719945e

COME ON WINTER AS DELIA SMITH WOULD SAY "WHERE ARE YOU" :cold:

Edited by Minus 10
  • Like 4

Posted

It sounds like the professionals are forecasting a colder Feb not taking into account any SSW and rightly so as it isn't happening "yet". The NW flow they say may bring this colder weather, could well become N/NE/Eesterly if a SSW does occur or even if the PV shifts well over to the east as some models are now showing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

As the very unstable air associated with the polar vortex traverses the Atlantic waters, the recipe is there for a raging westerly jet and some fairly deep storm systems. This results in a boundary being drawn across the UK along which a lot of rain is likely to fall.

The 00z GFS is unbelievably flat and I'm more inclined to trust the ECM run which allows the boundary to move north and south a bit over the week.

Longer term ECM continues to transfer the vortex to Scandinavia more convincingly than the GFS, but I see the GEFS are starting to catch on.

gfsgwo_1.png

An adjustment upward by the GEFS and before long the phase 1/2 issue may be removed from the output. Bear in mind the above is an ensemble mean so there will be a range of outcomes. I suspect the 00z det. is among those heading furthest into 1/2. ECM might be close to the GEFS mean.

The suppression and move west of the Azores high toward the mid-Atlantic is indicated to be in 9 to 14 days time depending on which output you look at (inc. ens. and ignoring the ridiculous GFS lower-res). It would be helpful for the waterlogged areas up north if it could do so sooner so here's hoping we similar corrections in that regard to what we saw last winter prior to that cold spell late Jan into Feb.

So to summarise, I fear it's not going to be a cosy ride to the headline act of the winter with flooding again an issue for a fair few places. January down here is already the third wettest in the last two decades and the surface water is extensive even after mostly light spells of rain. This does, however, lead to some interesting - but potentially very dangerous - prospects should a significant cold spell arrive on the heels of this wet and wild regime.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Unfortunately looking relentlessly zonal and increasingly unsettled across the models this morning.

The GEFS do look pretty scattered after 4/5 days but this could just be due to oscillating mild / cold sectors as more system cross the UK

MT8_London_ens.png

I think I'll jet of to the USA for some proper winter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35374741

Monster blizzard - Lucky Blighters! :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
9 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

We're getting there (1.2 is now 1.2 lower than 3.4)  but when you consider atmospheric lags and the fact that the gap may be not be sufficient anyway, it's unlikely that this will deliver.

The tweet referred to the atmospheric OLR anomalies I think. I would link it but I'm not on Twitter, as unthinkable as that is:80:

The sheer magnitude of the Central Pacific anomalies seems to be tending to dominate the atmospheric response. I say this having spent considerable time discussing research on the subject with fellow experts in the field, however I'm open to a range of opinions so if you'd like to discuss we could do so on the ENSO thread? 

I believe that at the very least the usual EP signal is going AWOL which could prove handy next month.

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

At first glance the charts look dreadful, however as you can see the vortex looks to be on the move with the main chunk heading toward Scandinavia. We may have to endure some less cold but fairly windy weather first before some more favourable charts begin to appear over the next few weeks (for cold that is).

If things land right Feb could be a good one! And let's all hope it is worth the wait...

gfsnh-0-120.thumb.png.81c71f88468e836414gfsnh-0-216.thumb.png.1e6b6e9f14abd04eb5

ECH1-120.GIF.thumb.png.227b6befcb712e753ECH1-240.GIF.thumb.png.608ca7ec82719945e

COME ON WINTER AS DELIA SMITH WOULD SAY "WHERE ARE YOU" :cold:

I thought we just had winter:cc_confused:

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I thought we just had winter:cc_confused:

Are you being serious? if you mean last week, I'd hardly call that winter. I've seen a couple of frosts and that's it. So yeah I'm still waiting for winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Well we had 4 days around 3/4c and a few frosts here. Great wintry weather! :closedeyes:

unfortunately in the mid term things look awful this morning, which is kind of what I've been expecting the last few days. 10 more days of winter chalked off, looks like we're now clinging to the small crumbs offered in FI once again. It's getting towards do or die time for winter 15/16.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, West is Best said:

Well it's fairly depressing to see this Atlantic conveyor belt, especially given that just a couple of days ago this outrageous piece of Ice Age flirtation showed up:

56a1d55cd2355_ScreenShot2016-01-20at15.5

56a1d5620d0fb_ScreenShot2016-01-20at15.5

56a1d59a9be8d_ScreenShot2016-01-20at15.5

56a1d5b6d0480_ScreenShot2016-01-20at15.5

It wasn't even particularly long range. I suppose the positive to take from that is that it can just easily flip again.

hi richard *waves*

those easterlies werenever a realistic proposition though, the noaa 500 mb charts never quite supported such a strong scand hig/easterly, they kept the upper flow in the westerly quadrant.

they now suggest quite a flat pattern, and have lessened the pressure over the continent. this could well lead to further pm incursions tamara mentioned. what coldies are looking for is the mean upper trough shifting eastwards, to our north or northeast. this could well happen in early feb imho.

814day.03b.gif

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Are you being serious? if you mean last week, I'd hardly call that winter. I've seen a couple of frosts and that's it. So yeah I'm still waiting for winter.

I saw it on the news there was snow with children sledging or was that stock footage from the 1970's?:laugh:

• Like 9

Posted

have a satellite system and i thought you all might want to see this image at 9.15am showing the snowstorm in the US plus showing how zonal our flow is now. Showing 2 developing depressions in the Atlantic heading our way of course:-(. I will add comments on the models in the evening

detail-g12-ir-1.thumb.jpg.fe07b4759d504c

I will post a further image of this tonight as well

If you are a bit bored waiting for cold try downloading this avi, fascinating up to date view of North Artlantic and the big snowstorm

North Atlantic Animation.avi

Edited by Derbyshire Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just to add to the list of charts where the Tropospheric PV is on the move, this one from the GFS(P) might be 'interesting' if it came off.

gfsnh-0-222.png?18

gfs-1-228.png?18

I suppose than since most of the models currently seem to be suggesting that the PV moves, in a day or two they'll all have changed their minds again.:crazy:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

model discussion please....there are plenty of other threads to discuss the merits of this winter season....thanks

• Like 6

Posted

Does anybody know if there is live online coverage/updates on the predicted blizzard in the US?

Sorry mods i've posted in here as it's the busiest thread.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Does anybody know if there is live online coverage/updates on the predicted blizzard in the US?

Sorry mods i've posted in here as it's the busiest thread.

It's ok found one