Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 21st Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Only good or slightly better news I can find tonight..

In the USA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
6 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

In the USA

But I am posting this due to interest around Alaska, Arctic and more so Greenland/Mid-Atlantic heights.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Bullseye said:

But I am posting this due to interest around Alaska, Arctic and more so Greenland/Mid-Atlantic heights.

Generally, if the east coast USA goes into the freezer, we get strong Atlantic lows targeted at us via rapid cyclogenesis. It would be rather unusual if we could get sustained blocking in Greenland from that sort of pattern. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
13 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Generally, if the east coast USA goes into the freezer, we get strong Atlantic lows targeted at us via rapid cyclogenesis. It would be rather unusual if we could get sustained blocking in Greenland from that sort of pattern. 

Can see where your coming from, although the times we as in Western Europe suffered from a very cold pattern East Coast also went into similar way. And this one shows to be more cold focused on Mid-West rather than East Coast. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

The lack of 'interest' in the Greenland/mid-Atlantic which has been shrouded by negative geopotential height anomalies is precisely why we've seen nothing of note thus far, on that basis it is very encouraging to see. As I have been saying methinks both sides of the pond will be joining in. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot
Just now, fergieweather said:

Yes. Some rather odd model assessments this evening. I'd have thought the colder weather aficionados would be quite content (and ditto the deep cyclonicity fans) with 12z EC output that exhibits just two T+240 clusters embracing both camps of favouritism... 

Screenshot_2016-01-30-22-51-37-1.png

Hopefully there is also yn undercut situation with regards to other low pressures joining with the one to our ne.  Now that would be screaming snow!  Keep up the good work Ian. Much appreciated 

Any reason why the low pressure that develops at around 140  only moves about 500 miles??  Seems a bit strange with such a strong jetstream.  

Edited by marksiwnc
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
37 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The lack of 'interest' in the Greenland/mid-Atlantic which has been shrouded by negative geopotential height anomalies is precisely why we've seen nothing of note thus far, on that basis it is very encouraging to see. As I have been saying methinks both sides of the pond will be joining in. 

Clear indication of Atlantic height rises whether or not the south gets anything from it is a different matter. My hopes aren't high for the latter. 

As steve said this has got to be one of the worst winters in terms of cold and rain. 

Edited by SN0WM4N

Posted

Models continue to support an ever increasing likelihood of a shot of preety polar/arctic maritime air to invade the country as we enter second week of Feb, before then a cold PM shot Tuesday and Wednesday as well. Both GFS and ECM do show such a scenario - so a lot of agreement in this respect.

Where the uncertainty lies is upstream - can we see a more pronounced build of heights to our NW at the same time, something that has been elusive so far this winter and the reason why the last cold spell quickly collapsed, however, unlike then, the upper atmosphere will be more conducive to such developments especially I believe as February wears on.

• Like 6

Posted
19 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

Clear indication of Atlantic height rises whether or not the south gets anything from it is a different matter. My hopes aren't high for the latter. 

As steve said this has got to be one of the worst winters in terms of cold and rain. 

Clearly he commented SO FAR not as a whole dismissing the remaining weeks aheads which is a very silly move which seems to have been undertaken an ignorant move.

Despite it being the mildest winter it has been the "snowiest" IMBY - that tells a story in itself looking back to predecessors 14/15 & 13/14 nor has it been particularly wet out of north/west.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

I very rarely post as I am still in the very early learning stages which is being hugely helped by some great posters on here, and for that I thank you.

If I'm looking at things correctly, at the moment the jet is a little further south than normal and as Henry passes away to our NE it will allow colder air to, albeit briefly, sink South across the country before the jet repositions and another Atlantic low is upon us. Looking ahead I see some "potential optimism" from the meto for something colder for longer as we move into the 2nd week of Feb.  I am a little confused as where do they see this cold potential coming from? As already stated, if the Eastern USA goes into the freezer we as a result will usually get ambushed by deep Atlantic dart board lows  targeted at us as a result of cyclogenesis, thus preventing any chances of heights rising in the Atlantic to for some kind of block? Is "usually" the key word in that sentence, or is it depending on the depth and track of the lows, which will effect the chances of a block forming? Or do they see the cold potential coming from elsewhere?

Sorry for so many what are probably really basic questions, but I am a total novice and even what I have written might be totally wrong, but you have to start somewhere I guess.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Doesn't seem to matter if the eastern USA is cold or mild, we get shafted either way with absolute dross!

nothing exciting again this morning, gfs builds heights right out at the end of the run, but this is about as much use as an inflatable dartboard. Probably be gone on the 6z. Rubbish all round, cold wet and very windy.

• Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Even Eastern Europe now warming-up.

Moscow +3c this morning and positive temperatures expected for most of next week!

Euro temps 31 Jan 2016.gif

Yes,looks like good news for those Russian woodsheds.:D

MT8_Moskau_ens.thumb.png.73f5e1520aefeadEDH100-240.GIF.thumb.png.92c3447eabb3f28

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Have to have a sense of humour - great synoptics in FI GFS but it gives us a mild easterly ! :D:wallbash:

Rtavn3361.gif

Rtavn3242.gif

You couldn't make it up!

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted

I see that the more fun gfs fi's have begun to appear.

the idea of a system diving se just to our sw (around the 12th) whilst we are under a fairly chilly upper trough is one which has been trailed on the controls and hinted at on the means/ anomolys .  I would be looking at that to potentially change the game re euro trough and Atlantic ridge behind. the real game changer would depend on the behaviour of the 'bi polar' polar high. can it bring that Atlantic amplification far enough North?  Anyway, the north of the Uk looks likely to retain snow chances throughout whilst the south could come into play depending on the evolution after the 10th. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
10 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Good Evening! Cannot see why are so glum about the upcoming synoptics! Tantalizingly very interesting , and the projected outlook screams cold rather than mild.

freezing.gif

bell tower.jpg

kirsty.png

kirstyx.png

maybe because the only colder weather on offer are transitory blasts from the northwest whilst most are looking for a proper cold spell with widespread snow. that simply isnt on offer and if the noaa anomaly charts are correct (and they have around a 70% accuracy rate) then theres no such spell for the first half of february .

no cold1.gif

no cold 2.gif

• Like 6