Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 21st Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
24 minutes ago, booferking said:

Yea but we are getting the bigger picture here ECM was going for a 5 day cold spell out to 240hr just last night and GFS 1 day maybe 2 at the most who is right in your eyes if the charts verify as they are.

I think you may need to read my post again.

Putting aside the small fact that the charts in question are yet to not verify (or verify)...

1) In this particular instance, YES, the ECM will likely be proved incorrect with its over amplified output of the past couple of days.

2) And completely unconnected with #1, the GFS remains predominately useless...

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I would hold on a while before the models award giving ceremony because a lot more changes will occur since the charts in question are a week away!:D

I agree nothing set and stone i hope they flip back to what ECM was showing for the sake of us coldies.:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

I think you may need to read my post again.

Putting aside the small fact that the charts in question are yet to not verify (or verify)...

1) In this particular instance, YES, the ECM will likely be proved incorrect with its over amplified output of the past couple of days.

2) And completely unconnected with #1, the GFS remains predominately useless...

The last time I bothered with the verification stats, for ten-days' out, the GFS was about 2-3% worse than the ECM; which considering that the ECM itself was only somewhere around 30% accurate, the difference might be somewhat academic?:D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I'm hearing there's been reports of a seismic blast off the coast of New York this evening.......GP's torpedo? :)

When GFS picks up an idea and then drops it, I often think it's going to come back to it.  Not so sure with the ECM though.   Hope its the case this time however

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

ECM eps continue to show nw Europe under a pretty marked low anomoly beyond day 10.  plenty of cold possibilities from that position. Plenty of wet ones too! 

The GEFS seem to be hinting at this scenario to me for a few runs now, you can just see the trough getting further south, lets hope we can combine the 2.

Posted

Well, I have to admit that this winter has gone the way of the pear. The ecm downgrade today is the final straw for me. The ecm ops yesterday were the last chance saloon. Even the meto update is less appetising for cold weather fans. This winter is up there with the worst, lost count how many times I have been soaked to the bone going to or from work (including tonight). Absolutely abysmal. Ecm now does what the gfs used to do with fantasy island synoptics. The ops are supposed to be run at higher resolution so why has the ecm op and control been so totally inaccurate on a fair few ocassions this winter whilst the ensembles were far more accurate. The latest debacle being yesterday. Can anybody explain this?

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Well, I have to admit that this winter has gone the way of the pear. The ecm downgrade today is the final straw for me. The ecm ops yesterday were the last chance saloon. Even the meto update is less appetising for cold weather fans. This winter is up there with the worst, lost count how many times I have been soaked to the bone going to or from work (including tonight). Absolutely abysmal. Ecm now does what the gfs used to do with fantasy island synoptics. The ops are supposed to be run at higher resolution so why has the ecm op and control been so totally inaccurate on a fair few ocassions this winter whilst the ensembles were far more accurate. The latest debacle being yesterday. Can anybody explain this?

Yes, ensembles are designed to give a realistic spread of the solutions on offer, if your referring to the day 6-15 day range that is, that's what they are there for.

Your asking for trouble relying on op runs anything past day 10 certainly and in volatile situations past day 7.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, ensembles are designed to give a realistic spread of the solutions on offer, if your referring to the day 6-15 day range that is, that's what they are there for.

Your asking for trouble relying on op runs anything past day 10 certainly and in volatile situations past day 7.

Thanks for the reply. So I guess the ops and control runs should only be taken seriously up to day 5.

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

Thanks for the reply. So I guess the ops and control runs should only be taken seriously up to day 5.

There is no hard and fast rule but I would always look through all of the individual ensemble members (where its possible to do so) from purely a forecasting point of view, the problem is that FI often begins even earlier when there is doubt over whether a blocked cold spell begins or a continuation of Atlantic driven weather carries on.

Posted

I always look at the overall trend and shape of the pattern over the northern hemisphere as to clues what may happen further down the line - some I feel today are not reading the signals very well. In tandem with Fergies post earlier and others, the set up looks increasingly better for a generally colder period of weather as we move into the second week of February - heights orientating SW into Greenland from the arctic weakening the PV, consequently the longwave trough is shifted into Scandi allowing heights to build north from the azores high - yes there is still a PV lobe showing over NE USA/E Canada - but a much weakened affair - end result a NW-SE aligned jet.

There are many positives for those who want colder weather in the longer term in this respect. In the reliable yes, quite frustrating for anyone wanting some drier colder weather, weak ridge development will come unstuck as trough action quickly pushes it aside, northern areas with height though will certainly see quite a bit of snow over the coming days - transitory though..

February traditionally sees the atlantic calm down, its been on full max turbo charge for 3 months now - all battery power comes to an end eventually...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Slowly the models seem to be showing what Ian and the met have been saying for a few weeks (high central Atlantic and low over the eastern side of the UK. Wether we get a bit,loads or no snow I just hope it gets sunny and cold (maybe with snow showers for coastal areas)  will be the likely scenario after 13Feb ish.  Let's see if I'm right. What do you reckon @fergieweather??  Fair assessment?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

February traditionally sees the atlantic calm down, its been on full max turbo charge for 3 months now - all battery power comes to an end eventually...

Yeah in April & May and then comes alive again from June to September :D:wink:

• Like 3

Posted

Well the models still playing about with shortwaves the GFS 18hrs run has one running east into the UK and the other coming south to effect Scotland and northern England.

The second one could bring some snow and the other one could deliver something wintry depending on how much cold air is in place at the time.

The Euro limpet high looks like it will finally be sent into exile!

The GFS has a promising start and then goes downhill as the PV moves back west. If the PV stays split then theres always the chance of something colder popping up, if it reforms then no chance.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, fergieweather said:

Absolutely - there should never be reliance or myopic attention given solely to deterministic output out at that sort of range. The current crop of 12z ECMWF ensembles offer a variety of routes forward by that stage (I dare say this evening's EC Monthly update will do likewise). There'll be varied run-to-run shenanigans in longer-range deterministic solutions until full assimilation of the stratospheric warming/PV displacement episode, with various models probably too eager to somewhat extrapolate the (more reliably modelled) cyclonic rinse-repeat train looming into nearer-term medium range, with climatological 'creep' always a latent bias even at the best of times.

Thanks Ian. However, most people on here want a little more than some poxy drab north westerly airflow (latest meto update) to make up for this energy sapping excuse for a winter. Or are you coyly suggesting that the rest of this winter does indeed have a little more than this to offer?  

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Thanks Ian. However, most people on here want a little more than some poxy drab north westerly airflow (latest meto update) to make up for this energy sapping excuse for a winter. Or are you coyly suggesting that the rest of this winter does indeed have a little more than this to offer?  

If you read his post it says that the mean flow direction will change to more NW'ly so an average colder. He also states that this gives the possibility of N'ly outbreaks and more significant cold. However it is too far away for something like this to show up on the models yet and is only a possibility. Hope this clarifies it for you. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Keep an eye on the JMA, not to be discounted.  We are entering a volatile period where we may get a piece the PV sink down towards us.   We have an idea of the way ahead but the models can't tell us exactly so let's see it unfold.  All I feel is that we won't be waiting until mid Feb for a NW'ly flow...indeed we could be having something as interesting as a part of the PV over us and we won't be talking ONLY of northern hills getting snow

BFTP 

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted

I dont know what happened to my last post, but here goes again.

This latest run from the GFS shows the atlantic well in charge with a strong jet stream flowing throughout and unfortunately at the end of the run the jet trends back north. We do once again have some heights developing around and over Greenland mid run but not strong enough. AO and particularily NAO still positive in the next 7 to 10 days.

Its good to see the Euro high displaced but is now showing late  in the run, to have transferred south/southwest of the UK. Still not a good position

However some Northern areas early next week according to most models , particularly on the hills, should get some snow during the passing of polar maritime air.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Keep an eye on the JMA, not to be discounted.  We are entering a volatile period where we may get a piece the PV sink down towards us.   We have an idea of the way ahead but the models can't tell us exactly so let's see it unfold.  All I feel is that we won't be waiting until mid Feb for a NW'ly flow

BFTP 

I believe the JMA is highly regarded for its modelling of the strat, not sure about trop interactions though