Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2016

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
55 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

That's the impression I had gotten before too... A cool wet summer after this El Nino-wrecked winter and the borefest of 2015 would be horrible.

No, we can't have another Summer like last years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
4 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Just to echo Crewe's post, 1998 was a poor Summer for heat. Just looked at that Summer and Manchester airport reached 25C only on 2 occasions throughout the Summer and not any higher. If this happens again then it will be disappointing for those who want heat like we had in 2013 or even what we had at the start of July last year. Still Summer is a long way off yet in meteorological terms.

im quite confident this year will see some plumes of hot air drawn in especially as some parts of Europe are set to roast in heatwaves I wouldn't be surprised if we get another 2003.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
9 minutes ago, 40*C said:

im quite confident this year will see some plumes of hot air drawn in especially as some parts of Europe are set to roast in heatwaves I wouldn't be surprised if we get another 2003.

Let's hope so. I was working away in America during that Summer but came back in the September so I missed that historic heatwave. The synoptic charts for August 2003 are incredible though. 22C uppers nudging the south! Wonder if that is a record.

archives-2003-8-6-0-1.png

Posted

March 9th was responsible for that. I recorded 50% of all rain in March so far on that day alone. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Anybody know the dates for the first 20C and 25C since say 2011. 

Posted
10 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Let's hope so. I was working away in America during that Summer but came back in the September so I missed that historic heatwave. The synoptic charts for August 2003 are incredible though. 22C uppers nudging the south! Wonder if that is a record.

archives-2003-8-6-0-1.png

Probably, i'd imagine. 

The Aug 1990 peak (3rd i think) was probably more efficient in terms of getting 37C from apparently 17C uppers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
16 hours ago, William Grimsley said:

No, we can't have another Summer like last years!

Summer 2015 was near perfect in London and the SE esp Mid Jun-Mid Aug...dry and reasonably warm never overly hot and a distinct lack of humidity sealed the deal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Summer 2015 was near perfect in London and the SE esp Mid Jun-Mid Aug...dry and reasonably warm never overly hot and a distinct lack of humidity sealed the deal.

Hmm, four words in that sentence may give a hint as to why  so many on here were dissatisfied with last summer...

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Hmm, four words in that sentence may give a hint as to why  so many on here were dissatisfied with last summer...

London and the SE?

Posted
17 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

London and the SE?

Haha bingo. Being the West Country, I was caught between the nice weather in the SE and the poor weather in the NW, so it was often quite warm but rarely impressively sunny here. However, June had its moments and the first half of August was decent too.

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Haha bingo. Being the West Country, I was caught between the nice weather in the SE and the poor weather in the NW, so it was often quite warm but rarely impressively sunny here. However, June had its moments and the first half of August was decent too.

That's where I live though so for me it was the perfect summer..i would be quite happy for a repeat in 2016...however I expect it to be slightly worse this year to last but not hugely different,..and when I say worse I mean wetter it could be warmer or cooler but fear it will be wetter than 2015.

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

That's where I live though so for me it was the perfect summer..i would be quite happy for a repeat in 2016...however I expect it to be slightly worse this year to last but not hugely different,..and when I say worse I mean wetter it could be warmer or cooler but fear it will be wetter than 2015.

Well warmer/wetter could be interesting if it's of the convective nature. Could also mean Nov/Dec 2015 synoptics though which would just be grey, humid and wet. Fingers crossed for the former, or failing that, something more normal with lengthy spells of fine weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Whilst our region had a much better summer than the rest of the UK which had dire conditions, I was rather unimpressed with it. I remember the endless horridly cold NW winds through most of June (despite plenty of sun) and then lots of drizzle in July and August. Not much in the way of thunderstorms either, despite a few promising plume synoptics. Wasn't overly chilly but wasn't that warm either with most of the real heat (and therefore storms) staying annoying just over the Channel. Am hoping this summer is a decently hot one (27C+) with lots of sunshine and decent storms! Especially a hot August, last one was 2003?! Bit overdue! 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Another lovely warm day here. Long sunny spells. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A lovely day here too, but there's a fair chill in the breeze still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

A lovely day here too, but there's a fair chill in the breeze still.

Yes on the odd occasion the sun goes behind the cloud the breeze is still a tad nippy but otherwise the sun compensates for that. Could be very very very pleasant late this weekend/early next week! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Yes on the odd occasion the sun goes behind the cloud the breeze is still a tad nippy but otherwise the sun compensates for that. Could be very very very pleasant late this weekend/early next week! :)

All depending on rain timings really, at the moment we're looking fortunate with the south, with most rain falling of a night.

Posted

Since midday, it's been largely fine, albeit with that breeze Nick mentioned taking the edge of the temperatures. Looking forward to it actually feeling possibly warm at the weekend and early next week, even if it is supposed to markedly cool off again after midweek.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

About time too! This Spring so far has been a bit stagnant tbh with not much to talk about. Expect all the new Spring growth to start responding quicky.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the warm spell is almost no more now given latest gfs runs now. Typical the ecm would win now. :(

Posted

This weekend/early next week might not have much interest now but today is lovely again. Currently sitting outside enjoying the warm sun. Very little breeze here too. Shorts are out and very pleasant it is. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Provisional figures up until 28 March show that most of England has had a wetter than average March but parts of Scotland have been much drier than average. In this topsy-turvy set up, figures also show that the north of the UK enjoyed warmer than average conditions for the first month of Spring.

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2016/03/31/topsy-turvy-spell-for-the-first-month-of-spring/