Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2016

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

We've passed the mid-way point of winter and the day length is on the upward trend, and that means that spring is fast approaching.

Due to the El Niño, I think that spring 2016 is going to be quite a cold one to be honest, with April probably being the focal month. I think that there could be some very large rainfall totals on that month.

Posted

LOL :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

We've passed the mid-way point of winter and the day length is on the upward trend, and that means that spring is fast approaching.

Due to the El Niño, I think that spring 2016 is going to be quite a cold one to be honest, with April probably being the focal month. I think that there could be some very large rainfall totals on that month.

Let us hope not. The last thing we need is flooding to be making people's lives a misery again and being the main item on news bulletins. Saw enough of that horror fest weather in December thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
8 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

LOL :)

That would probably be your worst weather nightmare Scott! :D 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

That would probably be your worst weather nightmare Scott! :D 

One man's dream will be another man's nightmare. I do like the second half of May though! :D

Mine would be a very warm and dry, and sunny spring starting in February, with some thunderstorms kicking in later on. A spring comprised of something like February 1998 (7.3C), March 2012 (8.3C), April 2011 (11.8C) and May 1992 (13.6C) would suit me fine. :)

Edited by Thunderbolt_
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It would be nice if there was a snowy spell in March, in the first half. If nothing wintry comes of this month, then a very wintry February and considerable wintry spell that's more severe than March 2013 is needed to salvage this winter. Then, I would really like a convective second half of March to middle of May with plenty of sunshine and thundery opportunities that make for good photography. No prolonged summerlike spells until mid-late May, setting up for a warm, dry summer overall.

• Like 2

Posted

Would love a nice May this year. Seems ages since we've had a warm one. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

My first thoughts are that this Spring will probably be quite dry with an amplified longwave pattern which for the first half of spring will probably favour a cold pattern with northerly winds being quite frequent. I suspect May will end up being a very nice month in terms of warmth. Overall I think this spring will offer a lot more interest than the last two which were both very mundane.

• Like 1

Posted

The 5 strongest El Niño winters were all followed by an April that were below average and had a notable wintry episode in them.

Going further back 1918-19 was a strong El Niño and that had a famous Spring snowstorm.

A coincidence?........ and it has to be said that we not had a notably cold April for some years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

hope you are wrong about April Thunderbolt_, I think a very easterly month, one of driest on record in Scotland, above average rain in south, CET on the low side

Posted

I wish March 2013 had never happened. Not only was it a cold non-event here with just a morning of snow, but ever since every March is hailed as having a good (60%+) chance of being the same. Coldies usually give up a few days into it though! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Hopefully the focus of the dry and pleasantly warm weather will be more at the business end of Spring rather than at the start. There is no such thing as using up our quota of nice weather but there does seem to have been a tendency for Springs to become increasingly unsettled towards the end lately.

• Like 1

Posted

Well for many it must have felt like we entered spring some weeks back, early spring growth etc, alas the last week or so have put a stop to that nonsense..

I'm a firm believer in mother nature balancing herself out, very wet spells followed by notable dryness, very mild weather followed by colder than normal weather and vice versa. By this logic, and in view of many other's thoughts based on ENSO state etc, I wouldn't be surprised to see a notably colder than normal spring and dry one to boot, lots of northerly and easterly airstreams through March and April, but fingers crossed a switcharound in time for May - my favourite month, but one that has been a major disappointment over recent years, we've had some good spells, but nothing long lasting since first half of 2008.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

April 1986 is the coldest since 1917 ,we are well overdue a cold one !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Generally speaking I still like to see snow in March - I wouldn't class March as a proper Spring month, just as I don't class September as proper Autumn as it can still be really quite warm. Apart from snowdrops and the odd daffodil nature still looks in Winter mode in March. With bare trees and the like, March temps are similar to November's so hardly shorts & t shirt weather most of the time, however the sun does gain some noticeable strength the further into March one goes but when it's a dull day it can feel decidedly chilly. Nature doesn't get a move on until some time in April when all of a sudden the leaves on most trees begin to open & temps begin to get close to or breach 20C, but even in April 2013 hard frosts still hung on & leaf opening was delayed a bit. I also like proper warmth and May can bring that, the last week or two of May 2012 was absolutely perfect with a continental easterly (warm winds by then) and sunny skies, low humidity and temps into the mid-upper 20's. In fact it was probably by far the best weather of the year and what followed was a dreadful Summer! April & May can sometimes bring the best weather of the year for warm lovers given the Atlantic is still usually quiet.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I would not be surprised if i end up seeing more snowfall in April then i will this winter more especially if the rest of this winter fails to bring a decent cold spell. This winter mostly reminds me of the mild late 80s winters which were then followed by sharp cold snaps the following aprils.

Posted

A warm dry Spring hopefully. Love to see a 21c here in March. V rare but can be achievable towards end of month.

Having said that i've seen snow in an early Easter year, down in Dartmouth, no less - reckon it was either '74 or '75, when i was a young 'un and that was after a mild, wet Winter.

April and May? Warm dry and sunny please. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
16 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

A warm dry Spring hopefully. Love to see a 21c here in March. V rare but can be achievable towards end of month.

Having said that i've seen snow in an early Easter year, down in Dartmouth, no less - reckon it was either '74 or '75, when i was a young 'un and that was after a mild, wet Winter.

April and May? Warm dry and sunny please. 

It was 1975 !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Really looking forward to Spring!! Took up Golf about 5 years ago and before that I never used to look forward to the end of winter, but this winter all the courses have been closed for weeks on end due to flooding. A cold February with snowfall then straight onto an early Spring please :)

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

It was 1975 !

Yes. I looked on internet just now.

It was the first and only snow that Winter for S Devon, right on the coast. We were on holiday in Stoke Fleming, a village a few miles from Dartmouth. I think back home in Bristol that Winter we had not had much snow, if any.

• Like 1