Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheeky_monkey

School Days

Yesterday morning I was in shower and started singing the hymn morning has broken or whatever its called for no reason..im not religious but it just came into my head about school assembly when I was at school that we used to signs hymns every morning..then I got to thinking when did that all stop?..i left school 28 years ago and a lot has changed..i went to the bog standard primary, junior and comprehensive schools in the 1970s and 80s..i still remember having to stand when the teacher came in and calling them sir or miss...fights being arranged behind the bike sheds or in the toilets or the spontaneous outbreaks of violence in the play grounds....playing football at break time and lunch time blazers for goal posts...all teachers and your mates having nicknames....damn cross country runs when it was freezing and lashing with rain...and detention at least once a week.

what do you remember about being at school?..or are you still at school (6th form don't count as we didn't have one!)

6 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Yesterday morning I was in shower and started singing the hymn morning has broken or whatever its called for no reason..im not religious but it just came into my head about school assembly when I was at school that we used to signs hymns every morning..then I got to thinking when did that all stop?..i left school 28 years ago and a lot has changed..i went to the bog standard primary, junior and comprehensive schools in the 1970s and 80s..i still remember having to stand when the teacher came in and calling them sir or miss...fights being arranged behind the bike sheds or in the toilets or the spontaneous outbreaks of violence in the play grounds....playing football at break time and lunch time blazers for goal posts...all teachers and your mates having nicknames....damn cross country runs when it was freezing and lashing with rain...and detention at least once a week.

what do you remember about being at school?..or are you still at school (6th form don't count as we didn't have one!)

I went to a C of E primary school in the late 90s early 00s and remember singing hymns, can remember how some of them went too. I went to a bog standard local comp (finished 2008 excluding 6th form) for secondary schools so no hymns there, but they certainly still do at religious schools - which is a bit weird when you think about it to be honest. We also had to stand when teachers walked into the room, and refer to them as sir and miss. I honestly don't think schools have changed all that much going by your memories, they are very much shared!

I enjoyed school overall, looking back on it. The one I went to had a bit of a bad rep but it got me where I wanted to be and I had some fantastic teachers, so I can't really fault it! Apart from the alcoholic DT teacher who ended up behind bars for being a nonce...

You had an alcoholic teacher who taught the DTs?:D

I used to get disciplined for not singing hymns with sufficient gusto!

We had a physics teacher who rather enjoyed delivering his six whacks of the cane onto bare bums.:shok:

I went to a dodgy comp (now an academy, dontcha know) where lessons were characterised by the teachers' indifference rather than explicit violence (corporal punishment having been banned long before).

My Dad on the other hand went to a Christian Brothers school in Ireland where he was frequently beaten for the dreadful crime of being left-handed. Consequently, he now has terrible handwriting but at least he's right-handed, thank the Lord. Religion, eh.

36 minutes ago, knocker said:

We had a physics teacher who rather enjoyed delivering his six whacks of the cane onto bare bums.:shok:

Merely demonstrating Newton's 3rd law, no doubt.

2 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Merely demonstrating Newton's 3rd law, no doubt.

No doubt but these days the action would certainly achieve a different reaction.

Harking back to the days when you could actually play conkers without necessarily writing to the health and safety exec for a start!  

I'd imagine teachers rifling through lunch boxes was a very rare event in those days too, anyone caught with a Lion bar nowadays or heaven forbid a full on no holds barred  full fat Yorkie bar, can sometimes expect the third degree and have them confiscated on the spot. That's if you can still get them. 

As for the scrap behind the bike shed analogy. CCTV soon saw to that. Big brother 1 rest of society nil. But it is all for our own good? Bit like metal detectors I suppose. In schools. And security guards even in some cases cops, on patrol. Stubbing out any naughtiness or unruliness. Just cos ofsted are round next week and we need them stars? 

there were very few female teachers when I was at school esp at comp..a lot seem to be ex military men or had taught in borstals (don't know what that says about my school) they were not adverse to throwing black board rubbers (remember them) at your head or a clout round the ear for not paying attention...my woodwork teacher was called Big 'D' who had the hands the size of dinner plates and a stare that could kill at 100 yrds..nobody dared mess with him not even the other teachers! most of those teachers wouldn't be let near a school these days...seems to have moved the other way..my daughter for example reached the age of 14 before she encountered a male teacher..which is a bit sad.

I went to a County Primary School, which was infants and juniors then on to secondary.  We had Assembly every day at CP school and sung at least one hymn, and I think wednesday was Hymn practice so that was quite a few more. I also remember each class did their own Assembly for the school, i think every other Thursday, and I was very excited being a disco dancer when my class did one on 'dancing'

Maths at the later years was 'out' of a box, which was bassically cards, and you even marked your own!  You were expected to go to the 'maths cupboard' in the corridor and pick up the things you needed , such as objects to measure the school playground - no one batted a eye lid when pupils were going in and out- I must've done the play ground measuring about 5 times. All said and done, every so often the teacher would see how you were doing and even 'mark' bits and pieces.

I could write an essay about my experiences and My daughter's too, and she has only 'been' at school 2 and a bit years.

Nothing annoys me more than the snotty note I got when we put a choccy biscuit in her lunch box, saying about allergies and the like when on the menu is the likes of Chocolate sponge and chocolate tart.

And don't get me started on the fact they were worried that a 3 year old, in a strange room full of strange people wasn't saying much on the first week and all the other meetings we had, just because she liked to do lots of things and they rather she did just did 'one'.

Oh and the leaflet about making sure the kids are on school on time, but yet again this morning they  were five minutes late opening the school gate. Every second counts according to ofsted.

Gah.

It's all about ofsed these days.

I went to an Ursuline convent school near Dublin, which was converted to a secular Community school for my senior school, but some of the nuns stayed on. I remember Sister Barbara, my French teacher. She had a nasal condition which meant she couldn't smell or speak in French properly. I was very good at languages, but she switched me off French and I dossed my classes away. I always remember her getting me to read passages from Maupassant - especially the one where a man drops his little dog into a pit to die - I'm sure she did this deliberately knowing that I loved animals and cried reading the story. I had nightmares about the story for years. It has been so nice re-learning French in the non-Sister Barbara way.

This is the only English summary I could find of the story - isn't it horrible?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot_(short_story)

From Primary school, I remember Sister Rosemary. She used to spray the corridors and classrooms with a menthol room spray to get rid of the smell of children! She taught me singing and I always remember her note to my parents in my report "Siobhán has a very true voice, but is very nervous". It's easy to see how we spend a lot of our lives getting over childhood trauma. I just trudged on, doing what was needed and never saying anything to my parents who wouldn't have understood anyway.

Better than, that my best friend in Uni back then in Ireland - the Christian Brothers punished his transgressions by rubbing raw menthol onto his privates - sadly he died three years ago from the effects of alcoholism, never having recovered from his ordeals. 

This song sums it up: