Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Slde south although maybe not as snowy

Posted

Not sure on the location but I discovered it on my Twitter feed some very nice depths.

image.thumb.jpeg.39ce2374ea6592f27414449

RE: the warnings I think they have been rather shambolic on snow totals and it being restricted to the hills. 2-5cm above c. 200m well in quite a few places it's been quadruple the upper figure. 

Enjoy the snow while it lasts...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Not sure on the location but I discovered it on my Twitter feed some very nice depths.

image.thumb.jpeg.39ce2374ea6592f27414449

RE: the warnings I think they have been rather shambolic on snow totals and it being restricted to the hills. 2-5cm above c. 200m well in quite a few places it's been quadruple the upper figure. 

Enjoy the snow while it lasts...

To be fair late last night, it was 1-4c on low ground, more than that above 200m which is a heck of a lot of North West England and 15cm above 300m.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

After a dry spell it's started to snow again.... Lightly ATM

Rain here.

Posted

Light snow..... Compaction going on....last hurrah i think.... Been up since five am.... Bed by 830 as up five am again..... Night all will put pics up tomorrow....internet permitting.... Bloomin tinterweb....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Looks like Tameside got it rather bad too, some decent pics on there. https://twitter.com/tmbc_highways/media

Posted
40 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Light snow..... Compaction going on....last hurrah i think.... Been up since five am.... Bed by 830 as up five am again..... Night all will put pics up tomorrow....internet permitting.... Bloomin tinterweb....

How was the tea and wine

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I don't know how much snow we ended up with here in Bacup as much of it has now melted but it was about 4 inches deep when I went to work at 6.30 this morning and snowed heavily all morning so I'd imagine we probably got double that.

it was enough to close almost all local schools and, looking at the number of cars on the road when I came home tonight, give most people the day off work.

after turning to rain for much of the afternoon it has now gone back more to wet snow but i can't see it causing any further problems before it finally clears through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 minutes ago, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

Here comes the top up :)

I would like to know how other ppl in the region are doing atm.

Not much chance of a top up here, sleety at best but temperature is only just above 1c so it wouldn't take much I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Sleety this morning and wet and miserable all day.  Never been out today.  When I looked across to the N.Wales hills they appeared white-capped.  Now appears dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer

Alright everyone..used to post as Bartlet Low for years..not been posting much last few winters as obviously not been great for the region. Anyway seems I'm locked out so signed in via twitter.

Chucking it down with snow all day at work..Hazel Grove, Stockport. Reasonable accumulations too. Good few inches in places..still snowing when i lef about 3.30..back home in Chorlton bit of a damp squib..some snow cover left but nothing like south side of Stockport with a bit of elevation.

All in all though a good day for the region I reckon..shows what happens with an easterly feed rather than the usual gutting quickly turning to rain western onslaught which dumps stacks east of the Pennines. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
17 minutes ago, PsychedelicTony said:

Alright everyone..used to post as Bartlet Low for years..not been posting much last few winters as obviously not been great for the region. Anyway seems I'm locked out so signed in via twitter.

Chucking it down with snow all day at work..Hazel Grove, Stockport. Reasonable accumulations too. Good few inches in places..still snowing when i lef about 3.30..back home in Chorlton bit of a damp squib..some snow cover left but nothing like south side of Stockport with a bit of elevation.

All in all though a good day for the region I reckon..shows what happens with an easterly feed rather than the usual gutting quickly turning to rain western onslaught which dumps stacks east of the Pennines. 

Indeed. I have always preferred snow coming in from the east in this part of the region. Not sure what all the fuss is about with snow coming in from the west or nw as apart from Jan 2010 it always seems so bloody marginal unless you are very high up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Just a very quick post from me

still raining here that's 24 hrs of

constant rain 

C.S

Posted
31 minutes ago, PsychedelicTony said:

Lots of snow in the southside today! Not as heavy or intense as it was in late January last year, yet it's persistence was amazing; literally non stop for around 8 hours, and the final accumulations round here was around the 4 inch mark. 

Its a shame this has come on the back of a very mild winter, and from air sourced from a ridiculously warm Arctic. In a normal year after a normal winter, far more would have joined in on the party I reckon.

All in all, I'm glad this Winter produced one memorable snow event, something that looked highly unlikely during that blowtorch December.

Posted
34 minutes ago, PsychedelicTony said:

Not sure the easterly feed did us any favours. The coldest air was to the south of the front or low ie westerly component . As soon as the easterly feed came, it all became very marginal with snow level rising,

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Not sure the easterly feed did us any favours. The coldest air was to the south of the front or low ie westerly component . As soon as the easterly feed came, it all became very marginal with snow level rising,

exactly as in your timelapse WH

hgt500-1000.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer

Ok, I will stand corrected looking at the chart you posted..

The slow sinking then, brought about by the easterly feed introduced warmer air from the north/north east. ??

Ironic really.

Still, Im sure you'll agree, best day of the winter for coldies.

Posted

Been raining for the past few hours but very surprised the snow on the ground is still around!