Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

This should aid our block, sending more WAA into that area.

Is this the long awaited rocket :-)

expecting some crazy outputs tomorrow .

Edited by shotski
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

0 always comes up when i Play :(

It's 35/1 but we'll forgive him for his input is valuable to many ;)

Minor change in GFS 18z with precip marginally further east on Monday with frontal snow edging a bit further inland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Sensible model output discussion please guys.ta

• Like 7

Posted

The GFS 18hrs run moves towards the UKMO in a chaotic sort of way. But you can see what its trying to do, if you look at T114hrs and T138hrs and compare that to the UKMO for T120 and T144hrs the overall patterns are very close.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, booferking said:

Fax Charts look really good northerly at 120 with cold front coming down.

fax96s (1).gif

fax120s (2).gif

I don't think that front will make it, it will weaken as it just runs up against high pressure and get shunted.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I don't think that front will make it, it will weaken as it just runs up against high pressure and get shunted.

Do you think the overall picture on the fax charts are good for prolonging the cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Depends Feb

If we get the undercut in about 24 hours from there at would just suck all the cold air down from the Arctic (vis a potent re-load)!!

It is not an impossible eventual outcome as you can already see low energy going through Portugal into the Med

:cold::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

T+186

12z

gfs-0-192.png?12gfs-1-192.png?12gfs-2-192.png?12

18z

gfs-0-186.png?18gfs-1-186.png?18gfs-2-186.png?18

More precip nearby, Europe colder in general, blocking not as strong.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Depends Feb

If we get the undercut in about 24 hours from there at would just suck all the cold air down from the Arctic (vis a potent re-load)!!

It is not an impossible eventual outcome as you can already see low energy going through Portugal into the Med

:cold::yahoo:

I think if we get an undercut (probably the outsider IMO) it would prop the high up tbh, so more likely we would be looking East then because the high would be further North.

• Like 3

Posted

UKMO has performed exceptionally well over recent days - sticking to the colder theme and keeping the atlantic at bay. GFS has moved closer and closer to the UKMO.

Heights are programmed to build through the country and more importantly northwards sufficiently to cause trough disruption early next week.

There are strong hints now heights will become a stubborn feature and could eventually ridge NW with trough activity forced underneath.

What a topsy turvy week its been, last Tuesday all models were suggesting a Greenland High scenario, we then saw the GFS backdown towards a more atlantic influence, whilst ECM teased us with an easterly, whilst UKMO maintained a NW flow, then various output over the weekend, with GFS and ECM bulldozing the atlantic through, UKMO holding steady with heights staying high close to the UK, we now have trough disruption..what next??

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, booferking said:

Do you think the overall picture on the fax charts are good for prolonging the cold.

Its not bad but I cant see where PPN is coming from YET, we need more runs to see whether we can get a battleground, theres loads of options on the table, I'm just far from certain though that we are likely to get a widespread heavy snow event.

Posted
47 minutes ago, shotski said:

Lovely stuff.

we have lift off !!!!

Another lower level torpedo into Greenland ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Intriguing tweets from Fergie.  I'm going to give 24-48 break from models and come back Fri for the 12z runs.  Very interesting to see where we go from mid next week.  Although I said mild to try and assert, I don't think it will win not for any lengthy time, just that block will be shifted from over us as trough scenario develops [similar to now] but more potent last week of Jan.  However it seems the blocking wants something to say about all this 

BFTP 

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted

Overall this evening a somewhat confusing picture emerging as to how things will develop next week.

The UKMO has the best solution in terms of snow chances and especially if you go by comments from Ian F then they're expecting shortwaves to track close to the south of the UK.

The ECM 12hrs was fine for cold and frost but really wouldn't deliver much snow if at all.

The GFS 18hrs run has trended towards the UKMO but you'll often find with it that the longer it goes out it reverts to type in trying to push too much energy ne, indeed if you look at the UKMO 12hrs run to T120hrs and the GFS 18hrs run to T114 hrs they're very close indeed.

So UKMO and the GFS

UN120-21.thumb.gif.3ece104e61f9485d09ff5gfsnh-0-114.thumb.png.b68ff4782c4ec2913a

Both hold the PV lobe further nw and have a similar amplitude over the central USA.

This is important because less energy will spill towards Greenland, the ECM is flatter over the central USA and has the PV lobe exiting the ne USA coast and those purples towards the south of Greenland:

ECH1-120.thumb.gif.75488c022f7ba38623c21

These might at first hand look like minor differences but they do impact more as you move forward.

Ordinarily you'd put the ECM as the top dog and its verification would support that however each model can go through good and bad periods.

So in terms of the outputs you have the UKMO least progressive, the GFS next and then the ECM. This is quite strange because its normally the GFS which would often be the flattest and quickest upstream. The fact that its moved towards the UKMO on its 18hrs run shouldn't go unnoticed.

We'll see in the morning what happens.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather in winter

And having a look at the jet-stream modelling, Tuesday 19th Jan. seems to be pivotal with energy moving out of Eastern U.S.A. resulting in cyclogenesis which would appear to move things on,such that by Saturday 23rd, the 'layabout' synoptics we have just now will have changed likes.

Tues 19th.png

Sat 23rd.png

Edited by Mildcarlisle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS swinging back toward a more progressive breakdown this morning if anything but at least gives a breakdown snow event by way of send off for our cold snap/spell

gfs-2-96.png?0gfs-2-102.png?0gfsnh-0-120.png?0

...enter UKMO stage left to loud cheers, that is an amazing difference for just 96h UKMO left GFS right

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisionsModele UKMO - Carte prévisions

UKMO 120 very cold and largely dry under a UK high - no breakdown signaled there at all.

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

144 still cold but spoke too soon,

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

all the energy moving NE so slow death of the high likely from there. I thought there would be some undercut looking at the 120 chart. I think I would prefer a GFS type breakdown if we can't sustain a cold pattern though obviously UKMO has better prospects for sustaining cold and we want it to be on the right track at 96h but just with more undercut.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Good morning Mucka, I'm not so good at reading the models but am I right in thinking that the UKMO is backing down slightly and instead of a undercut the Atlantic is trying to go over the high pressure. Which I'm guessing is not so good longer term? 

Thanks.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

FI from the GFS looks interesting, not far off something epic here.

image.png

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry folks! But there really seems to have been a massive flip overnight towards ending the cold spell middle of next week.

UKMET is kinda of keeping it chilly with a high slack bang over us at 144. GFS has a mushy breakdown around 120 and I cannot even bring myself to comment on the ECM 168

just as it was looking so good and the professionals were suggesting it would be decent duration, the models have flipped hugely.

• Like 1