Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Something like this is the very VERY best we could get from this situation. Though literally everything would have to go right

gens-6-1-132.png

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Another spectacular GFS fail on the cards for the UK

yest 156 12zimage.thumb.jpg.a84e47e675a6f042cae06a3c

Todays 00z 144

image.thumb.jpg.196b13bb64a4febf2e84853b

The signal overnight is a strong swing to cold - without scouring the ENS the JMA is my favourite

image.thumb.jpg.5196e1ac6d02f47b6f22e5d6

S

Aye and the most positive thing I take from the overnights? Well the GFS in FI may not be on the money as other models and a few of the GEFS present a much more robust Siberian HP which should serve to keep the GFS FI horror show at bay....

Posted
9 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

NAVGEM at T132

image.png

image.png

If this HP gains any more latitude we'll be looking at an easterly!

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Interesting ECM120

image.png

My thought....we're teetering on the brink of an easterly with some some of the modelling this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, shaky said:

Massive improvements from pretty much all the major models this morning!!did say yesterday expect the ukmo to be right!!let the upgrades continue!!

Not sure on the improvements, yes the Atlantic isn't rolling in and a block of sorts holds, but the 850s within the block beyond Monday are much less cold with no chance of snow. Nights would still be chilly however.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Re Monday's front. GEM is probably most pleasing this morning. We need that negative tilt to draw in some continental air , as opposed to the more positive tilt like GFS, which would mix in more maritime air. 

But with the general theme of undercutting as we get closer to verification hopefull GFS will trend more towards GEM

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

First port of call was METO forecast this morning.Even the most seasoned followers on here were being swayed in to making false predictions due to the unique situation.SM apart I should say.As is always the case on our little Island,surprise snowfalls have and will happen when our cold pool exerts itself.

I expect a major frontal snow event at some stage next week and then as GP and Tamara allude to,a colder Feb.Enjoy folks and try to pick the pick the meat off the bones by examining all output including fax charts as above,

Crewe how much brass did you wager last night:D

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_16011700_1500.gif

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_UW144-21.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
17 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Not sure on the improvements, yes the Atlantic isn't rolling in and a block of sorts holds, but the 850s within the block beyond Monday are much less cold with no chance of snow. Nights would still be chilly however.

Yea, it's Sunday's slight positive push on the high from the Atlantic creating that rain sleet and snow for the north that's causing the problem. Hopefully we can get a backing west of the slightly colder 850s into Monday if the undercut/potential slider can get south and west

image.gif

Posted
21 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

First port of call was METO forecast this morning.Even the most seasoned followers on here were being swayed in to making false predictions due to the unique situation.SM apart I should say.As is always the case on our little Island,surprise snowfalls have and will happen when our cold pool exerts itself.

I expect a major frontal snow event at some stage next week and then as GP and Tamara allude to,a colder Feb.Enjoy folks and try to pick the pick the meat off the bones by examining all output including fax charts as above,

Crewe how much brass did you wager last night:D

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_16011700_1500.gif

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_UW144-21.gif

The 'snow' event on monday is showing as a rain even on the euro, seems to sweep the uppers away far too easily. I hope it's wrong.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

055824W5_NL_sm.thumb.gif.2c23d782207dc2e

Alex upgraded to hurricane on the final approach to greenland. Could be one for the history books. 

That's ex tropical Chris.  

modelling still not quite settled down re next week. still looks like a toss up between a snowy occlusion or a snow to rain one.  on the rails remains the the disrupting front moving NE and then petering out against the block. 

Well it's coming!  The milder weather that is.  This chart is a good example of the slow erosion of the high from the north west.  Unfortunately this is the wrong angle of approach for any snow to last.  So currently it is looking like a mainly dry weekend with rain, sleet, snow approaching the northwest, then slowly sliding down the country with the southern half staying mainly dry for most of next week.  Still some night frosts for the south whilst the north stays mild and damp.  With the way the charts have been recently, the outlook could look entirely different on the next set of runs.

image.gif

3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

modelling still not quite settled down re next week. still looks like a toss up between a snowy occlusion or a snow to rain one.  on the rails remains the the disrupting front moving NE and then petering out against the block. 

Yes ex tropical, either way hurricane force, I'd prefer to trust the national hurricane center path and strength predections. Gfs doesn't seem to match the noaa for location speed and strength. I think this could be an interesting development all the same.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
23 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Yea, it's Sunday's slight positive push on the high from the Atlantic creating that rain sleet and snow for the north that's causing the problem. Hopefully we can get a backing west of the slightly colder 850s into Monday if the undercut/potential slider can get south and west

image.gif

Curious, the MetO website has snow for here for Saturday afternoon and night but no mention of it on the Beeb forecast? One to watch.

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It's my birthday today my name is Chris I'm 41 and I've never seen a hurricane track straight north ever.

ive got a feeling cold will stay around possibly milder in our location sunny Costa south coast.

but great news I'd of thought although I'm no expert but warming event in the strat perhaps because of the Atlantic tropical storms up tick surely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I usually like to comment about post D7 developments but having to refrain at the moment with such complexity and variety cross and inter model, its just best to wait and see how the near and now develops.

What GFS did pick up was that wave of amplification from the Azores that is now around D6. All models showing this apart from UKMO that sends a spin off low off the Atlantic trough; not sure about that?

ECM:5698a3e3c943a_ECM1-144(4).thumb.gif.2feeGEM: 5698a3e4ae2e0_gem-0-138(1).thumb.png.a64GFS:gfs-0-138.thumb.png.16311a6069ef17abc697

How that rise in pressure reacts with the HP in situ has the models flummoxed! Can it help develop a HLB or will we see a UK MLB? All models have an active trough to the west so what strength of forcing to the pattern will that have? The models also vary with the PV profile and Arctic heights by D10. So lots to resolve and more questions than answers. I agree with Mucka that no model has been great and that is what you would expect when there is entropy; lots of clusters and the OP moving between these clusters run to run. We just have to accept that Atlantic trough -v- UK high -v- Euro trough -v- Russian/Siberia High is a hard combo to model.

FWIW, as I said a couple of days ago, a UK/Euro ridge/high looks strongly modelled from week 2 and the GFS mean still going that way supported by Week 2 CFS and JMA:

CFS: wk1.wk2_20160113.z500.thumb.gif.102000d3   JMA: Y201601.D1312.thumb.png.d8c1905577650d44  D12 GEFS Mean: 5698a7871f37a_gens-21-1-288(1).thumb.png

If I was to make a call I couldn't really ignore this as it is currently the clear consensus so a return to milder than average and N/S split?

• Like 2

Posted

Cold week ahead on GFS gradually turning milder from west for parts of SE/EA it remains cold until the end of the week, however there would be no snow with uppers. 

Monday to Saturday - 

image.thumb.gif.23c568a6a78dd152f3c39d6fimage.thumb.gif.f9170761c88d4782be58de3bimage.thumb.gif.7217c09b910319202df5fd69image.thumb.gif.0224af1924eb1d743b2e6a73

image.thumb.gif.2778bcaee816792080463141image.thumb.gif.5ae3ce3fd9bbe4a60fb0fc55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.

I was fascinated by that UKMO day 6 chart last night. It could have led almost anywhere. Worst, it could have been the sink hole down which our cold weather dreams were to disappear.

Now I can see rabbits coming out of a hat. You can analyse this to bits, but whatever the outcome, the Met and their models have been remarkably consistent while the other models have been all over the place.

Edited by Weathervane