Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.
57 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

It's starting to look like we are looking at a mild / very mild outlook through to the end of Jan and into feb guys...so at least the daffs will be happy!:D

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur2_41.png.2dd721bb47dc32fea641dbbe8847a7e5.png

Like the arrival of swallows in spring we await the return of knocker and his red crayon to the mod thread!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

It's starting to look like we are looking at a mild / very mild outlook through to the end of Jan and into feb guys...so at least the daffs will be happy!:D

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur2_41.png.2dd721bb47dc32fea641dbbe8847a7e5.png

At 240hrs away I wouldn't pay to much attention to it personally, if it appears within the 144 hrs then I might take notice 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

To take a slightly different angle;

The theme of a vortex displacement to the Scandi region followed by a drop into Europe is exactly what we were chasing for mid-Jan to mid-Feb last year. The problem that year was that we didn't have much of an El Nino signal from the tropics to help us out. With the potential SSW falling short, we managed a short attempt at the Greenland blocking/Sceuro trough type scenario but it was not even close to what it could have been had we had a mature El Nino signal in place.

Well, we have one in place this year and that, really, is why there is so much hope among the experts for Feb despite last year's shortfall.

One thing I do remember from that period last winter was the models proving too reluctant to move high pressure west from Europe and into the mid-Atlantic ready for a push north. Just as we're seeing this year, struggles with the tropical forcing were the cause.

Food for thought, and as far as I'll go this morning after yesterday's analysis overdrive :crazy:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
16 minutes ago, fromey said:

At 240hrs away I wouldn't pay to much attention to it personally, if it appears within the 144 hrs then I might take notice 

There is plenty of mild within the reliable timeframe too fromey, up to 11c tomorrow and Saturday and then even milder.:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Thanks for pointing that out, but the way I look at things is if it's within 144 I begin to give it a little more credit anything outside that is just pie in the sky!! 

Less chance of being disappointed 

• Like 2

Posted

As you were with regards the De Bilt ECM ensembles.

http://projects.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/vijftiendaagse/index.php?run=00

The extended ECM (days 11-15) ensemble mean broadly similar to last night's though there is a subtle shift in the negative height anomaly to our north.  It's moved eastward to be directly north of the UK as compared to a vicinity around Iceland.  Small shifts but there is some support for the low heights (PV) moving eastward over time...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, fromey said:

Thanks for pointing that out, but the way I look at things is if it's within 144 I begin to give it a little more credit anything outside that is just pie in the sky!! 

Less chance of being disappointed 

I absolutely agree and I'm certainly not writing off the rest of winter but it's fair to say the models are currently looking much milder for the foreseeable future.:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves
51 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I absolutely agree and I'm certainly not writing off the rest of winter but it's fair to say the models are currently looking much milder for the foreseeable future.:)

Ok Frosty we get your point; it's going to be mild

• Like 6