Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I'd urge caution on the mention of the likes of Cohen and promises of narnia prospects in the future.  Many's a mild winter I've spent expectantly waiting for the change  to come as heralded by those who have interpret his forecasts.

In reality the winters of 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2012/13 were pretty good for cold lovers in the UK.  And so memories of those alluding to such prospects that we ended up enjoying are enhanced.  While memories that they forecast the same thing every year and are more often wrong are firmly suppressed by the hope that winters eternal :)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

All well and good Chris posting charts but without an explanation all that will do is confuse members who are learning . 

Do you no what that means ? 

Cheers :)

A Few posts up i posted a link to a full explanation of the SSW and it's effects Dr Choen is much better at explaining this than me. And as long as we continue to see the pv distorted or displaced I'm a happy man. I think at the end of the runs we are starting to see the effects of the trop strat trop coupling and it will be exciting to see this develop. I unfortunately can't get the charts For the temperature propagation from strat to trop which would show the temp changes in a better format.

5 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

I'd urge caution on the mention of the likes of Cohen and promises of narnia prospects in the future.  Many's a mild winter I've spent expectantly waiting for the change  to come as heralded by those who have interpret his forecasts.

In reality the winters of 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2012/13 were pretty good for cold lovers in the UK.  And so memories of those alluding to such prospects that we ended up enjoying are enhanced.  While memories that they forecast the same thing every year and are more often wrong are firmly suppressed by the hope that winters eternal :)

I still reminisce about 2010, I can only live in hope and look for the cold to come :) 

GFS have been running the warming theme for a long time now In the strat, it's becoming exciting that it would appear to be coming to fruition.

From the below you can see the strat starting to warm. Exciting times!!

I am aware that the position of the PV is critical to establishing a cold theme for the UK but according to current model data, at the moment it looks good for us.

00_0_arctic10.thumb.png.5823f89402fb5373

Posted
35 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

This mornings model runs are quite possibly the best I've seen. If this theme continues Feb is going to be one to remember.

00_384_arctic10.thumb.png.e4dd9d5522a20a

Don't forget just because there is a warming , it doesn't guarantee cold and snow

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, chris55 said:

Although UKMO looks mild, it's actually quite a good chart to set the stage for something much colder a little later on, all that WAA and quite a nice profile to the east. An easterly developing from here wouldn't surprise me.

image.gif

Doesn't appear to be much WAA on the ECM this morning though? In fact the ECM has looked as flat as a pancake in the last couple of runs :-(

Posted
8 hours ago, Barry95 said:

All the signs and signals are there in the models for a very cold February...

image.png

image.png

image.gif

image.png

That's interesting, but where is Tomasz getting that Easterly from? Absolutely no sign of that in today's models.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
2 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

That's interesting, but where is Tomasz getting that Easterly from? Absolutely no sign of that in today's models.

....he said it was one possibility.......which if you look at some ensemble members and other models it still is :) 

• Like 3

Posted

The ECM ensembles (out to day 15) has pulled back on the idea of higher heights to the NE of the UK - now the higher heights are located over mainland Europe with lower than average heights located to the North West.  Disappointing but just one run...

Edited by mulzy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Not to dampen the spirits but what the bcc weather does is provide a service to the public through a media output so public ratings must be taken into account also it's the met office that provide the data so this would suggest maybe our bbc coldie is getting a little to far ahead of himself like lots of us in this forum.

perhaps the inexperience crept in as not the norm to jump a extra week to suggest maybe an easterly of coarse there could be but nothing from the models yet suggest this but they have been close recently to modeling this outcome.

but the lack of evidence today would suggest different 

14 minutes ago, emotional rollercoaster said:

Not to dampen the spirits but what the bcc weather does is provide a service to the public through a media output so public ratings must be taken into account also it's the met office that provide the data so this would suggest maybe our bbc coldie is getting a little to far ahead of himself like lots of us in this forum.

perhaps the inexperience crept in as not the norm to jump a extra week to suggest maybe an easterly of coarse there could be but nothing from the models yet suggest this but they have been close recently to modeling this outcome.

but the lack of evidence today would suggest different 

I would say there is more of a chance of an easterly next week now that bbc have made the announcement.  The met office do tend to hold back on forecasts of predicting freeze ups and snow until they are confident.  The graphics shown on the bbc were similar to some of today's output.

image.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Still looks like there are some decent cold options after an initial mild push over the weekend & early next week.

MT8_London_ens.png

That possible 'easterly' may not be dead in the water yet!

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted

For the first time this winter the GFS is forecasting a major SSW event at the begining of Feb and this appears to be in line with Cohen's latest AO post. If this comes off then seasonal forecasting seems to have taken a mighty leap forward in both accuracy and precision.

• Like 1

Posted

Personally I think TS forecast is being slightly blown out of proportion, the graphics are probably a little extreme to what he actually says, which is that with the jet riding south to north over western parts there is a risk of the continental air moving into eastern areas. He certainly doesn't mention the easterly winds his graphic seems to indicate.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

The models this morning do seem to go against the met forecast of last night, especially there own the ukmo.

On the other hand could just be a flip flop like last week with the models.

seems strange the professional met would put a forecast out like that when they wasn't really buying in to the cold spell just gone. ( although he did say could happen )

interesting day of model runs today, especially the 12z

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Personally I think TS forecast is being slightly blown out of proportion, the graphics are probably a little extreme to what he actually says, which is that with the jet riding south to north over western parts there is a risk of the continental air moving into eastern areas. He certainly doesn't mention the easterly winds his graphic seems to indicate.

I commented on these BBC forecasts the other day and it appears they do not use the 12hrs model runs. When TS made that forecast the ECM was more bullish about pulling the Euro high further north. I doubt TS would have even mentioned an easterly if the forecast had been compiled using the 12hrs runs. As for today the models operational runs have flattened the pattern out and pulled the PV even further south and overall are dire IMO for any east/ne flow in the next 10 days.

We might just about scrape some surface cold if the high is edged a bit further north but the better trends of Sunday have fallen by the wayside.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Correct: blown out of proportion and misinterpreted. Tom was simply highlighting potential for colder continental influence lingering to E and remaining a 'spoiler' to W'ward progression/providing further battleground focus. He wasn't suggesting an Easterly per se and no indication of such presently exists in UKMO model assessments. Hope that clarifies.

I think it was the graphics which were misleading rather than what TS was saying.

The models are firming up on the return of the PV to Greenland and the Euro high until month end.

The hope is that we then see increased signs of the SSW manifesting itself on the trop in later February into March.

Posted

The bitter irony here for cold and snow lovers is that these warmings of the strat which eventually might deliver a SSW are in effect causing an angry PV response. Think of it as a boxer in a match, whose taken some punishment and is really angry. Unless you knock him out you've expended a lot of effort, suffered some pain and end up have nothing to show for it.

The very good synoptics shown when we saw a more robust ridge towards Greenland were likely de-railed by those strat warmings as the PV reacted by increasing in strength and increasing the westerlies.

It's likely also that the better trends of the weekend have also now fallen victim to another strat warming which has induced another angry PV response.

So unless the possible SSW delivers then in effect all these warmings have just in effect derailed some better cold synoptics!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
7 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Correct: blown out of proportion and misinterpreted. Tom was simply highlighting potential for colder continental influence lingering to E and remaining a 'spoiler' to W'ward progression/providing further battleground focus. He wasn't suggesting an Easterly per se and no indication of such presently exists in UKMO model assessments. Hope that clarifies.

Great forum ,we have time to discuss the models ,television presenters get very little time to explain ,twenty years ago i wrote to bbc  with regards this .

i,m pretty sure we need to be patient ,as signs are afoot , cheers gang .

Posted
10 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

No, we have 12z UKMO-GM by 1600hrs and 18z E4 by 2100hrs. They, plus all 12z EC-ENS and 12z MOGREPS, are seen before the bulletins at 2200hrs and all discussed in conference beforehand. As mentioned, Tom wasn't suggesting any modelled easterly.

I'm not talking about the normal tv forecasts Ian. More the Week Ahead one and the other day it clearly used the UKMO outputs from the 00hrs because its synoptics were nothing like the UKMO fax charts done that night and could not have evolved to what was shown for this coming Friday.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted

On the plus side, unlike December, cold air is never really too far away from the UK. I've not managed to look more than 10 days out so far, anything of interest in the more unreliable time frame?

• Like 1