Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, Audaxian said:

Apologies for a brief interruption...

I've been watching this thread, as I find it interesting seeing how the models evolve over time. I am, however, a complete newbie at model watching so I'm just silently soaking in. I've been able to pick up what most of the acronyms in common use mean, but there's one that's stubbornly refused to reveal itself. What does "FI" stand for? Been able to figure out that it's probably something to do with longer-range models and low confidence levels as a result, but beyond that I'm lost. Anyone want to put me out of my acronym misery? (I'll probably kick myself when it turns out it was completely obvious).

its basically way out of the predictable timeframe/unlikely to verify. hence fantasy island, definitely not Formula 1

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

Audaxian, FI stands for "Fantasy Island". The further out the model predictions are, the more they go off into the realm of fantasy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

hints of pressure rise across europe and into scandinavia? yep, but the mean upper flow doesnt suggest a strong scandi high delivering a cold easterly for the uk - yet at least. and cold to our east looks to be locked up whilst the uk is bathed under mild southwesterlies - for now.

814day.03.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the models i would still rather see substantial heights to develop over Greenland to deflect the jet stream further south or to send some energy out of North America to west of Greenland. This morning early model runs  still show a succession of depressions being forced over our European High ( which i believe can only sink south east eventually) and stopping any heights really developing over Scandinavia.  If we can get these heights and halt the flow of depressions there must be a good chance of a Siberian/Scandinavian developing better and extending west and linking to the heights over Greenland region. If that did occur what a February we would have. The flow of atlantic would then be deflected to the south, much better for us.

Something on the lines of  this image off last nights GFS run,almost cutting off North Atlantic attack

,airpressure.png

These are my take on synoptics to bring on substantial and long lasting cold.

Todays outputs should be interesting to see how models behave after this moderate effort of a cold snap we have had. 3 degrees this morning, no overnight frost here, and our 1 inch of snow all gone 

Edited by Derbyshire Snow

Posted

WAA heading to Greenland at 166, definitely looking like it could be an interesting run. Also, the low near Madeira is cut off so not sure how this will work out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
41 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Fantasy Island...:)

Can anyone remember where the thread with the Glossary of NW jargon is? I think DiagonalRedLine created it. Useful for those who want to know their undercut from their elbow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

gfs 6z vs ecm both 96hrs

ecm wants to eject lows from the south east on a more se direction gfs wants to try go northeast.

the differences are small but important to where any heights establish for those seeking cold.

gfs-0-96.thumb.png.de46eb15a976f758f00b0ECM1-96.thumb.gif.bf4283b3202388bae4a803

gfs-0-120.thumb.png.02eb8875b779bd31c696

notice at 120 gfs 6z lowering of heights around the azores or just north of the azores but the spoiler is at the moment higher heights to our south.

but look jet stream if the gfs and ecm are correct weak jet stream going nicely south east renewed heights building we have a block all we now need is something noticeable to run se into Europe I fear this wont happen for awhile yet.......

but the key is yes milder by the end of the week especially in the south southwest but nothing is going to remove this cold to our east including the block!

I think going forward after all the model outputs after last couple of days there seems to be a new pattern emerging.

fingers crossed we don't see a 2012 failed easterly rerun.

jet stream pretty weak and not really effecting us in the uk or eastern Europe this was key feature in winter 09/10 with the jet very far south if anything current jet profile goes south southeast under the block its looking pretty good if the models are correct.

gfs-5-138.thumb.png.9996b9f8a0ec97a47205

its close to the only was lower pressure can go is under but that's just my opinion after us southerners disappointment of this current cold spell.

but we got to start somewhere if it was not for this currents spell of cold then we could be looking at continued chaos of December 2015.

so all is not lost.

• Like 3

Posted

I am liking this run at the moment... much better heights over  Greenland.  jet stream weakening ..low trying to push west of greenland 

.. interesting where this leads to on this run

Our European high being pushed away and allowing better heights up north

• Like 1

Posted

This looks like it could be a real eye candy run, heights heading straight to Greenland - Northerly incoming and with a lot more vigour than the last one.

lets hope it doesn't get bowled over.

image.png

Edited by Ali1977

Posted

If this occurs  be special . Some adjustments still required but starting to fit in to place now for proper cold. WE still need the heights better over Greenland but a much improved position to work from.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

This looks like it could be a real eye candy run, heights heading straight to Greenland - Northerly incoming and with a lot more vigour than the last one.

lets hope it doesn't get bowled over.

image.png

certainly is tasty chart.

but we want the Canadian vortex segment to retreat west or eject se and heights to our south to retreat just a little more south allow the scandi lobe of vortex I think that's vortex to drop down and push a little sw but its not far from northerly and northeast flow so nice chart.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
20 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Can anyone remember where the thread with the Glossary of NW jargon is? I think DiagonalRedLine created it. Useful for those who want to know their undercut from their elbow.

Gonna put that in my favourites

• Like 4

Posted

Nice dry and chilly weather at day 9, not quite going the right way to bring the goods to the UK. Might look a whole lot different by tonight.

Edited by Ali1977

Posted

Hi TEITS,

I am mainly a watcher but i thought i would involve myself a little. Your comments over the years are great to encourage the cold lovers, keep it going. Weather makes a fool of us all.

I do feel as though February this year is our time for severe weather 

PS these chart are a  great improvement

• Like 9

Posted
2 hours ago, TEITS said:

Regardless of how the 06Z continues to develop it goes to show how the models can make me look a fool. A few days ago I would never of thought the GFS would show the synoptics at +192 on the 06Z run.

I am thinking I should shut up and stop making predictions and comment on what the models ARE showing!

I think you should post more often because the models are forever making me look stupid but hey that's why model watching is so addictive especially lately best charts popping up since 2013 09/10 so 1 easterly for 1 day with snow id be happy.

theres fair few models with same sort of ideas so theres every reason to be quietly confident although my sofa has bald patches well so do I after recent ups and downs.

but no need now for a pattern reset lets see if the current pattern will build into something a little special its happened before and will happen again at some point.

infact was it not feb 2013 that was a feb cold spell that continued into march.

my dad said the other day winter used to be from jan through march back in the day.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Like 4

Posted

Close but no cigar in terms of the GFS 06hrs run upto T240hrs. The jets curving away from the UK so the cold heads se to the east.

We really need to see the more omega block set up with the jet curving back into the UK.

I'm not sure the GFS is on the right page here in terms of whats its trying to do, I just don't see any initial cold coming from the north, and even if it does the ridge would likely topple towards Scandi.

The upstream pattern is not expected to maintain sufficient amplitude to hold high pressure to the north. If you read comments from NCEP that deep low near the eastern USA which is crucial to any cold evolution is expected to verify, this is expected to be a brief re-amplification before a more progressive flow.

This would correlate more with ridging towards Scandi than any longer standing ridge over Greenland.

• Like 3

Posted

Well, one thing to take from the nights / mornings charts is Early Feb has lots of potential, best part of winter and model watching to come I hope...SSW still showing too, let's hope we get some severe cold early Feb that goes on for weeks due to effects of some SSW !! Perfect world of course!!

image.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emotional rollercoaster said:

I think you should post more often because the models are forever making me look stupid but hey that's why model watching is so addictive especially lately best charts popping up since 2013 09/10 so 1 easterly for 1 day with snow id be happy.

theres fair few models with same sort of ideas so theres every reason to be quietly confident although my sofa has bald patches well so do I after recent ups and downs.

but no need now for a pattern reset lets see if the current pattern will build into something a little special its happened before and will happen again at some point.

infact was it not feb 2013 that was a feb cold spell that continued into march.

my dad said the other day winter used to be from jan through march back in the day.:D

Definately an interesting 06 GFS, perfectly highlights how just one or two minor tweaks are needed to give a very different look to things, but if ever there was a case of 'more runs needed' then this must be it! 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Well, one thing to take from the nights / mornings charts is Early Feb has lots of potential, best part of winter and model watching to come I hope...SSW still showing too, let's hope we get some severe cold early Feb that goes on for weeks due to effects of some SSW !! Perfect world of course!!

image.png

The vortex is looking battered and the models seem to be developing a Scandi/Greenland block towards the end of the month into February. For the sake of the bad luck the UK has had during the past 2 winters, I hope I'm right in thinking we are on the cusp of something bigger for cold for the first time in 3 years :D

Also will be interesting to see Dr Cohen's blog re. SSW.

Edited by wishingforsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good Morning, still most models want to bring in mild SWly by the end of the week. Could be a long process to reach out to the East. By Thursday morning still cold air anchored close to the East . The forecast surface drift from the NE would likely produce light snowfall in some SE parts.

C

Rtavn722.gif

• Like 3

Posted

I think if theres going to be a big change in the outputs its likely to occur around T168hrs.

This is the timeframe when that eastern USA low moves off the east coast of the USA and develops  a small ridge between it and the low to the west of the UK.

The question is if we can see enough sharpness develop to the low to the west of the UK to send more energy se'wards.

• Like 4