Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted

Some very tasty FI ensembles tonight (where is Mucka when you need him)

Nothing better than this though (just for fun but shows what is possible)#

gens-16-1-336.thumb.png.e66815a4cb32ddc8gens-16-0-336.thumb.png.19942d7f86f8a90a

graphe3_1000_290_102___.thumb.gif.e6bf17

No prizes which one is P16.

However overall everything is lower - something interesting is going to happen

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

With where the vortex is positioned its very unlikely we'll see a proper Greenland high initially, many colder spells have started with a Scandi high and retrogression with then a trough dropping south into Scandi and then pressure rising over Greenland.

The historically good spells had that type of high pressure  musical chairs for a lengthy period. I'm not for a moment suggesting that's round the corner! lol

We first need the Euro high to ridge north in response to troughing digging far south into the Atlantic and then hope for a change of luck which is long overdue, regardless of this more seasonal spell it hasn't delivered more nationwide and has just papered over the cracks.

Crunchy snow and sub zero maxima is whats needed to salvage this winter.

Hi Nick,

What i am finding a problem with is i cant see in the near future how a scandi high will develop unless something extends from Siberia. The high over Europe will struggle to reposition itself over Scandinavia unless we can get these depressions to be cut off, heights needed to develop from Greenland to push them south or cut them off so that one tracks west Greenland instead. I do agree though, synoptics not easy for that as well.

We have such a poor area to get the ideal synoptics , but makes model; watching not boring

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Maybe this might go on to resemble the winter of 1954/55.  November and December were mild months, January had its cold spells with snowy moments but then got milder towards the end....and February was epic!

It went from this to this  23rd Jan 1955 to 12th Feb 1955

Rrea00119550123.gif

Rrea00119550212.gif

• Like 6

Posted

thats what i have been trying to explain this evening. that is the perfect chart. High pressure over Greenland > Low pressure in to central Europe and atlantic jet cut off.

That must have been severe cold

Edited by Derbyshire Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
12 hours ago, Timmytour said:

Lets put this mornings 6z run alongside these for comparison.......so that now we are into T60....

gfs-0-66.png?12

To me, even in the very short range, there's still enough differences to indicate nothing is set in stone just as yet with a bigger inclination (though far from an overwhelming one) that energy  will be sent south east.  I agree the chances are small, but it's not out of the question that the models will flip in thier approach to the end of next week, just as they have done for for that time-frame for pretty much  the last two weeks!!

and tonight's 18z at T48 is

gfs-0-48.png?18

Even at such a short time-frame, for me there's some difficulty getting a handle on the amount of energy below Greenland  and the direction it heads in which is giving different returns further down the line with each run

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Not a bad little cold spell here. Lying snow since Thursday now. 

Think we will see heights rise to our north east again by months end and we will see the cold return from the east as the ECMWF run hints at in the later stages.

Also don't think the temps will warm up later this week to what we were experiencing in Dec. Probably return to average temps then possible gradual cool down from the east heading into Feb. 

Interesting model watching ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

gfs-0-48.png?18

Even at such a short time-frame, for me there's some difficulty getting a handle on the amount of energy below Greenland  and the direction it heads in which is giving different returns further down the line with each run

4 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

gfs-0-48.png?18

if that high pressure would weaken in Europe and allow the energy( lows) in the atlantic to push south

• Like 1

Posted

interesting theories tonight . It should be a muddling week of synoptics and then lets hope we get some positive cold agreement in about a  weeks time.

The interest in this cold spell has now waned , just a few nice frosts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

i proper take my hat off to this guy... cant wait for his blog tomorrow night

If I am sacrificing my holiday to spend the entire day on the AO blog, you know I think it is going to be good

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS0z very close at day 9.

GFSOPEU00_216_1.png

Posted
5 hours ago, Timmytour said:

Maybe this might go on to resemble the winter of 1954/55.  November and December were mild months, January had its cold spells with snowy moments but then got milder towards the end....and February was epic!

It went from this to this  23rd Jan 1955 to 12th Feb 1955

Rrea00119550123.gif

Rrea00119550212.gif
 I think this was the year in the fifties  farm cut off for 5 weeks only way out  walking through fields as roads remained  blocked.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

im liking the setup being hinted at by the ECM this morning.

ECH1-192.GIF?18-12

usual caveats, fi but still, following the 12z of yesterday, will the trend continue?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I see the ECM is churning out some interesting output. 

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

The game is most certainly afoot this morning. 

Models getting more confident of height rises to the North by the end of the month.

yes, not sure if I'd want to see the pattern evolve exactly like that, as you can see how that could be scuppered between 168 & 192. very small window for the high wedge to develop. But the trend is good 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

While we are in the upcoming holding pattern, so to speak, as we wait for the next potential cold spell, the major positive I can see is the trend of high pressure being near by. Keeping things overall quite settled relitivly speaking.

cold settled week ahead, after today, then a gradual easing of the cooler air being replaced by a slightly milder feel, some wind and rain to come but overall dry!!

i don't think I could have handled a repeat of the Atlantic lows powering through like December.

Edited by chris55

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The game is most certainly afoot this morning. 

Models getting more confident of height rises to the North by the end of the month.

There is enough going on in the ops pre fi to make you wonder just what will actually verify come the last week of January. 

Posted

I prefer this mornings ECM solution than last nights in terms of trend.

Rather than a large Russian high we'd prefer a separate lobe developing near Scandi, the large Russian high is incredibly difficult to get far enough west.

The last time we had that scenario was I think February 2012 but even then the cold found it difficult to get far enough west into the UK.

It did effect mainland Europe with some incredibly cold conditions but for the UK the smaller high over Scandi is far better in terms of delivering.

• Like 2

Posted

Apologies for a brief interruption...

I've been watching this thread, as I find it interesting seeing how the models evolve over time. I am, however, a complete newbie at model watching so I'm just silently soaking in. I've been able to pick up what most of the acronyms in common use mean, but there's one that's stubbornly refused to reveal itself. What does "FI" stand for? Been able to figure out that it's probably something to do with longer-range models and low confidence levels as a result, but beyond that I'm lost. Anyone want to put me out of my acronym misery? (I'll probably kick myself when it turns out it was completely obvious).

• Like 1