gfsnh-0-72.png?6gfsnh-0-72.png?0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

and the 06z goes pete tong.

gfsnh-0-102.png?6

TBC, but we are running out of time here

• Like 1

Posted

It is quite because most have the sense to realise nothing has changed, still things to be decided. The 06z doesn't tell us anything we didn't know from this model. And that is it keeps fluctuating in its output beyond 72 hours and hence it serves as just a point of reference rather than to believe it will verify.

Edited by Hammer
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, warrenb said:

I can see why it has gone quiet. SW winds back and no build of pressure to the NE.

Yes and with everything that's been said about FI being T+72 then I'm taking south westerlies at T+120 with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 6

The 06z struggles still at 72-96 to resolve the energy so whilst it moves to the right scenario ( we hope ) im- the mid term it fails

if we blended the 00z heights to the North & the 06z jet flow to the south ot may have got close

my tip - JMA & NAVGEM 06z's at 78 is where our snowline will be 

there not out yet BTW so its a forecast not a cut & paste.....

S

• Like 2

Posted

Well I will say that the 6Z at 144 shows very pleasant weather down here in the SE. Frosty nights and dry days. The jet is not firing up in this run yet.

Posted
54 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

How amazing to have a hurricane in January! I think it's only the 4th time on record it's happened? No wonder none of the models can handle this. BBC think that Alex will be absorbed into the general pattern and give the jet that shot of energy it needs to break through and turn things unsettled....though this is of course still very uncertain. Absolutely fascinating, and such a welcome break from Decembers tedious model watching of T+infinity showing wind and rain ad nauseum !

I don't think it has much, if any effect on the jet stream. A long fetch south westerly pumps much more warmth and energy into northern latitudes than a small system that is rapidly dying a death and cooling down quickly. Maybe if it was aligned to be advecting a stream of warm air in its wake, but this system doesn't seem to have this feature.

Edited by Alexis
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot
Just now, Glacier Point said:

Updated upper level velocity potential update (GFS) is interesting..

5698c4e26dfc0_tropforcing.thumb.jpg.f3ba

Continued migration east of the -ve anomaly towards the Maritime Continent during week 2 but note also split emerging between North and South Hemispheres with the Northern Hemisphere element well into the Western Pacific. That suggests tendency in angular momentum will show an increase during week 2. No dramatic fall off in angular momentum.

Also, GEFS and EC EPS consistent on dropping an upper level trough through the Western Pacific (i.e. downslope of the Asian Massif) 23-24th Jan, with upslope ridges and troughs - good precursor pattern for generating westerly inertia into the Asian Jet.

5698c4d57de87_asiaMT.thumb.jpg.009640604

Net result, GWO will continue to orbit high amplitude phases 6-7 and, with the renewed injection of westerlies coming, shade phase 5 as well..

5698c4eca6164_ferbphase6gwo.thumb.jpg.3c5698c4d618cd9_febphase5gwo.thumb.jpg.234

Stress again, these composites are for February, and Jan composites not so keen on ridges in these locations but still suggestive of Scandinavian troughing (bet messy otherwise). So the close we get to Feb, the more I would expect the ridge to our west and north-west and trough to the east to bear out. Strat allowing..

Would this be the expected torpedo?  What do you think is the favourable forecast for end of January and into February?? 

• Like 1

Posted

The GFS 06hrs run can be classed as better start worse ending, compared to the GFS 00hrs run worse start better ending upto T144hrs.

At this point I'd rather have the better start because given the uncertainty the worse start better ending is more likely to end up worse and then worse.

I think we should be looking for those smaller early positive changes which at least the GFS 06hrs run delivers.

There is one possibility here, although the upstream pattern flattens out somewhat its suggested that this might re-amplify by later next week to the east of the central US plains. Now this could help carve more sharpness and dig south of the troughing to the west which could in turn help keep high pressure further north near the UK or a bit further to the ne.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I know it's only the gfs 6z but that vortex is looking angry again, I though it was supposed to be on the wane?

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.3f03acc16bd2e11e18

Let's hope it just hasn't got a clue what's going on!

Edited by Minus 10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Good scope for snowfall almost anywhere on Monday.

a.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer
7 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

Really not sure what to say to this.... Still hurricane force turning West at 90 deg. What would we make of that impact to models?084710W5_NL_sm.thumb.gif.b828211493a43e4

After passing through the Azores, this storm will track almost due north into the North Atlantic tomorrow night and Saturday and will move over much colder water causing it to transition back into a non-tropical storm system. Eventually the non tropical counterpart of Alex will merge with another storm heading east from Newfoundland in the North Atlantic. Coutesy of Accuweather!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
8 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

Really not sure what to say to this.... Still hurricane force turning West at 90 deg. What would we make of that impact to models?084710W5_NL_sm.thumb.gif.b828211493a43e4

If you look at all the ops, they all show this. Over the next 48 hours It rides up the west flank of the ridge over us and then merges with the approaching Atlantic low. The exact timing and path is presumably what's causing the short-term confusion thereafter. 

Regardless, in the medium term (T168+) the vortex intensification over Greenland with a SW flow for us has more or less unanimous cross-model support.

ECM

ECH1-168.GIF?15-12

GEFS mean

gensnh-21-1-168.png

GEM ENS mean

gensnh-21-1-168.png

It's ok to say that FI is T72 so ignore everything beyond or whatever, but the signal for the above is overwhelming. If there's a Torpedo in the water, now would be a good time for it to appear on the sonar.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
23 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

That looks more like the GFS track from the 0z run than it did earlier!