Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A bone chilling -16c showing on the NetWx-MR model for Saturday night.

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weathervane said:

I was fascinated by that UKMO day 6 chart last night. It could have led almost anywhere. Worst, it could have been the sink hole down which our cold weather dreams were to disappear. Now I can see rabbits coming out of a hat. You can analyse this to bits, but whatever the outcome, the Met and their models have been remarkable.

So are you saying this is a positive thing,is good for cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
29 minutes ago, emotional rollercoaster said:

It's my birthday today my name is Chris I'm 41 and I've never seen a hurricane track straight north ever.

ive got a feeling cold will stay around possibly milder in our location sunny Costa south coast.

but great news I'd of thought although I'm no expert but warming event in the strat perhaps because of the Atlantic tropical storms up tick surely.

Emotional....... Apologies, this may be actually me getting the wrong end of the stick.....but you do realise that bluearmy was replying to someone called Chris about the path of ex Hurricane Alex....and the ex tropical storm itself is not called Chris?  :-)

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

An interesting recent comment from Ian F over in the SW regional thread,

quote:

Yes, some troubling-looking selections of output this morning for early next week, more especially for N and E of W Country. But exceptionally low confidence on what will unfold. Interestingly, latest UKMO overnight prognosis through Feb builds Atlantic block with us on colder eastern side/troughing... we may have the experience of current period to unravel yet again further down the line

Translation: "we don't have a clue!"

And with the current NWP output, who can blame them!

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris1986 said:

Gfs has the hurricane modelled incorrectly in strength and path It would appear. 16011700_1500-1.thumb.gif.58feff86af0c8216011700_1500.thumb.gif.e58e59d5ac069e4d

National Hurricane Center puts Alex at 986mb. The 0Z GFS has Alex 987mb. It's pretty much bang on.

gfs_pres_wind_atl_2.png

As for the track, the cone of uncertainty is very narrow which shows there is a high degree in confidence in the expected track. GFS ensembles show complete agreement in the track up until the point it phases with another low after it becomes extratropical.

at201601_ensmodel.gif

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

Another update from the hurricane center. I don't think any of the models Could possibly have a handle on this.083248W5_NL_sm.thumb.gif.254d91c5030800a

Looks to me like a marked divergence with GFS at T33 onwards...which I guess makes that FI for the time being!

Posted

Looking at the ECM postage stamps a real mix of solutions the majority want to take more energy over the top:

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2016011500!!/

I'd say around 11 of the ensembles take more energy se'wards, the operational and control agree with some energy going se'wards but we'd need to see a lot more.

Ensembles in this type of set up can be even more jumpy than the operational runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Well at least there's one nice shorter-term run to look at here:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/icone_cartes.php

I do like how the hourly intervals lets you see the process very clearly; the WAA heads NE with the cold air behind, this being a marked frontal boundary. At the same time low heights extend SE along the boundary to the UK and it becomes a question as to how well that can become focused into a separate system from the main trough.

This model seems to do that rather well, but I'm not sure of ICON's track record since it was upgraded from GME?

Notice the nose of lower heights into the western Channel right at the end - suggests to me the boundary is just off the SW as of 7 am Monday.

With ARPEGE however, it's a case of close but no cigar... or at least not a cigar as far south as we'd like it:

arpegeeur-0-78.png?0 arpegeeur-0-102.png?0

The squashed appearance of the next Atlantic trough is of some interest though. I'm starting to get a (for me nasty) feeling that the north might get pasted at times from the middle of next week while the south is drenched. If only that Azores-Euro ridge would calm down a bit... actually it is weakening during the final day of that run so who knows what might happen.

The global models aren't that far off at +96 to be fair, but they trash things by +120 as the lows heights gather themselves into a more rounded trough with the jet firing NE ahead of it. Under such a pattern, a combination of the active subtropical jet encouraged by the El Nino and the current Atlantic SST profile is likely to promote LP development west or southwest of the Azores... hence those majorly pumped up ridges across Europe and the UK that keep cropping up longer-term.

Hopefully we can at least have high pressure over the UK rather than just to the south. In either case the odds are such a feature is what heads north when the polar field changes again late month into Feb in response to trop/strat forcing. How soon that happens is unlikely to be something easily discernible from the model output at the moment; there's too much risk that they're mishandling the trop. response to the mid-term spike in strat. vortex intensity ahead of the anticipated weakening thereafter.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Looks to me like a marked divergence with GFS at T33 onwards...which I guess makes that FI for the time being!

Well I'm not sure but I'm guessing they are running these models full time from the livestream data what with being the national hurricane center tasked with preventing loss of life In massive numbers I think they have the budget :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.
40 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

So are you saying this is a positive thing,is good for cold?

Yes I do. But my opinion is only based on watching the meto over the years slog it out with the other models in these knife edge situations in winter. The longer we keep the cold in the better the prospects for snow.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

Well I'm not sure but I'm guessing they are running these models full time from the livestream data what with being the national hurricane center tasked with preventing loss of life In massive numbers I think they have the budget :)

I wouldn't be backing GFS in the scenario :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

How amazing to have a hurricane in January! I think it's only the 4th time on record it's happened? No wonder none of the models can handle this. BBC think that Alex will be absorbed into the general pattern and give the jet that shot of energy it needs to break through and turn things unsettled....though this is of course still very uncertain. Absolutely fascinating, and such a welcome break from Decembers tedious model watching of T+infinity showing wind and rain ad nauseum !

Just adding to singularity post from earlier

this feature which the GFS hopefully over develops is the reason for the positive tilt

it needs to disapear sharpish ( for the south anyway ) 

make the image as clear as possible !!image.thumb.jpg.d182189fcf6bc200ebfde45f

s

• Like 2

06z Small changes at 36 creeping in- very hard to see unless your flicking between 2 runs

at 36 now as Alex gets absorbed into the main low the CAA under main low where out slider develops is angled more NW SE - the 00z had a similar angle but less acute...

that angle ( maybe 5 degrees) should help at 72 & 96

S

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Marginally better angle.

image.png

Edited by That ECM
SM beat me to it!!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

06z Small changes at 36 creeping in- very hard to see unless your flicking between 2 runs

at 36 now as Alex gets absorbed into the main low the CAA under main low where out slider develops is angled more NW SE - the 00z had a similar angle but less acute...

that angle ( maybe 5 degrees) should help at 72 & 96

S

and the high looks slightly further north, if you again flick between 00z and 06z, small differences could  = big change in the outcome

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted

Wow! I have been about for 10 years and I cannot recall in all that time the models at 48 hours and less coming under the spotlight like this.. Really unprecedented.

• Like 6