Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

All hail the UKMO

Rukm1441.gif

Thats my last thought of the night, an early one beckons, night night all :)

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

All hail the UKMO

Rukm1441.gif

Thats my last thought of the night, an early one beckons, night night all :)

looks like ukmet backing their own model loking at fergie latest tweet,like to see what their other models are showing,as for gfs lol what a disaster its been the last week,way way too progressive and playing catchup all week,it had the cold spell over by sunday a few days ago,oh dear :rofl:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Whether Idle said:

Nick, the lesser models are going for Atlantic dominance at 120 (take a look at CMA, Brazilian) some ECM ens members also follow what I think is a false trail.  The UKMO version of events is maybe  most wished for, but it is looking isolated, if it proves correct it would further enhance a growing reputation.  We shall see.

The ECM mean is going to include about 15 ensemble solutions that are past the point of no return so this will wash out what the clusters are showing. This is always the issue with undercut scenarios, theres no middle ground. At this point if theres going to be a trend its more likely going to be movement from the ECM to the GFS/UKMO or one of those towards the ECM, or to the UKMO.

The higher resolution of the operationals is more important in undercutting situations. At the moment the big 3 all undercut at T120hrs so lets hope for no dramas.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

12Z ECM ensembles are out: http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

Still the majority favour a warm-up at the surface in a weeks time.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Which would figure if the UKMO T144hrs is the Met's favoured option Mark.

UW144-21.GIF?13-18

maybe cold backing west later from the undercut.Mmm.

As you say phil, UKMO144hrs is very interesting!

Just to add, if I may to your comment, 'Mets  favoured option' , it was less than two weeks ago that 'they' forecast, 'favoured'  mild to basically continue to end of Jan........interesting model viewing! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

DeBilt ENS looking cold out to D9/10 when there is more of a milder cluster but that's a long way off and the trend looks ever more fvourable for extended cold.

http://cdn.knmi.nl/knmi/map/page/weer/waarschuwingen_verwachtingen/ensemble/detail/ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.png

The longer the cold stays in place the harder it is to shift and the greater the chances for snow opportunities to spring up!

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

looks like ukmet backing their own model loking at fergie latest tweet,like to see what their other models are showing,as for gfs lol what a disaster its been the last week,way way too progressive and playing catchup all week,it had the cold spell over by sunday a few days ago,oh dear :rofl:

None of the models have been very good recently, however I don't think the GFS has been a disaster compared to the UKMO regarding the weather week. In fact, looking back at the archives to the 8th, here is the GFS T120 compared to reality today and below that is the UKMO T120 compared to reality today.

GFS was very close to what actually happened. UKMO was quite a way off the mark.

gfs-0-120.png?12ECM1-0.GIF?13-0

UW120-21.GIF?08-00ECM1-0.GIF?13-0

As for which model will be correct 5 days from now....I'm not sure I believe any of them right now!

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting post from Fergie in Twitter. "Atlantic mobility and mildness not expected anytime soon" according to UKMO. Any thoughts from the more experienced members?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
7 minutes ago, radiohead said:

None of the models have been very good recently, however I don't think the GFS has been a disaster compared to the UKMO regarding the weather week. In fact, looking back at the archives to the 8th, here is the GFS T120 compared to reality today and below that is the UKMO T120 compared to reality today.

GFS was very close to what actually happened. UKMO was quite a way off the mark.

gfs-0-120.png?12ECM1-0.GIF?13-0

UW120-21.GIF?08-00ECM1-0.GIF?13-0

As for which model will be correct 5 days from now....I'm not sure I believe any of them right now!

I think you are discounting the constant changes and swings from the GFS, compared to the relative consistency of the UKMO.

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evening All -

Hi there Steve I am new here and somthing of a novice,the chart from the year 81 you showed.are you predicting somthing like that come next week!?

Edited by phil nw.
removed long quote
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
38 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evening All -

So in one sentence Steve what are you saying?????

Edited by phil nw.
removed long quote
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

I think it has to be said that finally a well deserved pattern change is here. So far for this winter period the models have just shown what's been quite extraordinary in the way of Temps but the Bi has had its more than fare share of Atlantic onslaughts. Any model output showing Winter for us is always a nail biter. I think that maybe even model forecasting has had to have short sharp shock to its systems in the way that winter is actually going to take place. We could be in for a shocker. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

In the last few words

UKMO to win - GFS ( green roulette space ) the 36/1 rank outsider....

0 always comes up when i Play :(

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Netweather GFS Image

18Z still looking good! GFS though dosen't model convective snow very well, shows nothing through Cheshire Gap

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
58 minutes ago, essexweather said:

Very usual, but Subtropical Storm Alex has formed today. The model track from the National Hurricane Center shows our block making its presence felt:

6ia5u8.gif

Not the first time this winter we've seen lows develop in very southerly latitudes, as we all know you don't break the December CET by a mile without having some serious Tm air from well south as we saw on occasions helped by that big euro slug of November/December - something I haven't witnessed before in winter - maybe a few others could help if they have seen synoptics occurring like this in any other winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Sliders/energy going underneath? 

Edited by Spah1
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
27 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Can people please not quote entire posts! Steve Murr's long detailed post appears 3 times in succession!

Yes good point Andy! Anyway have now edited out the long quotes for easier reading.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, essexweather said:

Very usual, but Subtropical Storm Alex has formed today. The model track from the National Hurricane Center shows our block making its presence felt:

6ia5u8.gif

Lovely stuff.

we have lift off !!!!

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, shotski said:

Lovely stuff.

we have lift off !!!!

This should aid our block, sending more WAA into that area.

• Like 2