Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

However wasn't the GFS the first to back away from that arctic Greenland high link up? I've viewed so many charts last 6 weeks my mind is like frazzled bacon.:D

lol. Yes it was but only in favour of a mild atlantic breakdown. Which is the complete opposite of cold and blocked (which were 90% now likely to have after this weekend.) So in that respect it's going to be completly wrong.

Looking at the UKMO 120 chart

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

It has consistantly been showing charts like this with no wild swings, it was certainly onto something. Now we have all 3 models heading in this direction (high pressure to the north/northwest with an undercut and colder air to the E/NE trying to move in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

GFS definatly back tracking now...but from a snow lovers perspective that could be bad news...surely we want the atlantic to come in a little bit and hit the cold air and produce some snow..cant see snow occuring any other way in this set up...but im more than happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

From an asbolutely shameless IMBY perspective, does anyone know how good these Arpege high res PPN charts are? :)

arpege-1-21-0.png?13-16

arpege-1-26-0.png?13-16

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 1

Posted

The GFS may not be the best outcome with regards snow, but definitely good if it's low night time temps you're after. Even down south in some favoured spots we could see -10c or lower over the weekend and early next week, and temps struggling to get to freezing by day. Be nice to get the odd snow shower to assist with that.

The UKMO looks like a snowier end of weekend and early next week, that's not through a breakdown, just from sliding low pressures near by. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, chicken soup said:

GFS definatly back tracking now...but from a snow lovers perspective that could be bad news...surely we want the atlantic to come in a little bit and hit the cold air and produce some snow..cant see snow occuring any other way in this set up...but im more than happy to be proved wrong.

You make a good point there, If this doesn't happen we could be stuck in middle ground with good cold but unfortanatly no snow.

I can see all the members in the west hoping for a battle between the atlantic and the cold blocked air. This is risky but could be highly rewarding.

Or those like me who live in the east who want a good easterly/northeasterly with snow in the form of snow showers off the north sea :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
4 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

From an asbolutely shameless IMBY perspective, does anyone know how good these Arpege high res PPN charts are? :)

arpege-1-21-0.png?13-16

arpege-1-26-0.png?13-16

I've heard it's been rated quite highly plus it backed the UKMO

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Persistent Heavy Snow

Why the charts are showing us these tease frames is annoying. The trend is already set to become less cold next week.

:nea:

Posted

I also note from various tweets that the METO have said its not a case of when the Atlantic breaks through, it's "if" it does...So the possibilities of of what could happen next week are open, we may see a cold potentially snowy breakdown, or a high hold the Atlantic at bay. Best case I think we need to see things follow more of the UKMOs idea and get greater heights over Greenland, if we could do that the UK may get a whole lot colder and whiter as time ticks on towards Feb..

ECM will be interesting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 minutes ago, lambgregg1977 said:

Why the charts are showing us these tease frames is annoying. The trend is already set to become less cold next week.

Yep currently it showing going  from -10C - -15C, to -2C - -5C.

Good post gregg!

MIA 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, lambgregg1977 said:

I dont know what your basing this on? If its the met outlook then just remember this 'cold spell' was only supposed to last two days :) 

They have to be careful what they write but as fergie's comments earlier have shown they aren't sure 'when' or even 'if' this break down will happen.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Not sure if you are discussing the anomaly charts I use. 

No,  I was talking about the 15 day GEFS means that IDO posts which always show a deep PV over Greenland. 

• Like 5

Posted
43 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

UKMO 144h Major undercut and major frontal snow incoming to the west!!

And snow showers pushing in from the north east.

This is a major head scratch to me. Sure, its cold, but what next? Will the Atlantic fronts get across and link with a Scandi or Euro trough crucial to prolong the cold? At which point? Will the Atlantic fronts have anything left on them by the time they get here? Will the Scandi trough renew its influence? On this chart the UK is bang on the diving line. I'd say 60/40 in favour of at least four more cold days after this, but it could go mild if the different interactions marry up in a particular way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Persistent Heavy Snow

Just a disgruntled snow hunter seeing that despite their being uncertainty for next week, the models are UP then DOWN, then UP again, it's exhausting. I don't like the BBC or the Met or indeed follow those forecasts, but just feel as though were all maybe guilty of being too drawn in to these charts as they come around. 

I expect the trend to less cold, and hope all the good work you guys and gals do come to some sort of fruition in terms of a much colder outlook. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Perfect. This is what I am looking fall. Deeper upper air mass seeping out of Scandinavia with a developing trough heading S. That will maintain the cold block, with increasing the chance of snow showers.

C

UW144-21 (3).gif

• Like 7

Posted

Not sure we can say the GFS has backtracked to the UKMO so much as gone for another option, very cold and dry. So it has to be said the (I'm Pleasantly surprised) rock solid UKMO would be preferable, it has far better long term prospects and better snow prospects, which is what we want. The GFS looks an eventual sinker with a return to milder SWlys. Good thing is, nothing is nailed on and the evolution has the potential to be better yet.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

UKMO 144h Major undercut and major frontal snow incoming to the west!!

And snow showers pushing in from the north east.

That really is a frigid cold pool a gathering up over in Mainland Europe and Scandinavia. If we could tap into that beauty with that Atlantic undercut dragging it our way, these wee islands would get an absolute pasting. Knife edge stuff though. Great model viewing!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
21 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Yep currently it showing going  from -10C - -15C, to -2C - -5C.

Good post gregg!

MIA 

-10oC to -15oC still being shown on the charts I am looking at. GFS included.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Well the GFS now has the cold in place well into next week. The UKMO looks snowier if trough disruption is favourable.

Its nice when you have two different solutions at T144hrs that are both cold and not tearing your hair out with one good and one rubbish one!

It would certainly be nice to have 3 Nick. No dramas please ECM 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
6 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

-10oC to -15oC still being shown on the charts I am looking at. GFS included.

Don't like to tempt fate too much, and I hadn't seen the very end of the GFS run then!  So I went a bit conservative

:cold::cold::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

I think if you want chances for snow you're going to have cheer on the UKMO output, the GFS apart from the initial shortwave which might affect the far sw looks dry and very cold.

The UKMO looks likely to try and send some shortwave energy se at T168hrs. Its a bit catch 22 with these set ups because if the block is being underplayed then shortwaves generally end up tracking further south but then you are more likely to stay in the colder conditions.

I think the issue if these shortwaves miss the UK is whether that Scandi troughing can edge sufficiently west to bring some instability into the flow into the UK.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3