Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just thought I'd copy the link to Singularity's post from the MOD thread concerning tomorrow's proceedings as it might be of interest to a few in here. :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
30 minutes ago, AWD said:

Yep, the signal for some snow falling for Dartmoor remains.  Just speaking to someone in the lodge next to me who went walking around Dartmoor today and they said the rain turned to sleet and wet snow before clearing earlier on today so pretty confident that any PPN tomorrow will be snow in Princetown.

Mullender will also accept that 12z output I think.

Yes that isn't bad to be honest although it looks like it may just come down to a few lucky ones on the day.

Have to see what Ian says later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Just got power back after 8 hour cut.

Today's storm packed a punch down here. Lots of trees down and v high seas.

Can do without this kind of weather if i'm honest,just a big pain.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, festivalking said:

I remember a cracking fall on 14th February 94 and that was right on the coast in Dorset! 

That could be the one.

My wife (then my girlfriend) and I were still flipping from each other's houses on opposite sides of Bristol in those days and she was over mine - we were coming back from our (then) local after a few drinks and it was chucking it down with snow. And, yes, it was Valentine's night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 hours ago, gottolovethisweather said:

Just thought I'd copy the link to Singularity's post from the MOD thread concerning tomorrow's proceedings as it might be of interest to a few in here. :friends:

I admire his optimism, but even if that does drift in off the coast, I can't see it wrapping round in time to deliver the goods to our region. The South East corner quite possibly, could see the South Downs being in with a chance.  

If we are to get in on the act we need to see the sliding lows at the end of the week further south, that's where I'm pinning my hope. It's not out of the question, infact they tend to correct further south rather than north as history has proven. But for that to even be a possibility we need the pattern to be favourable upstream. 

Interesting nonetheless. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down
7 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Well I just had the most random lightning strike outside my window tho, right in front of me!

Yes I seen and heard the thunder 7 Miles south of you. My webcam was triggered by motion sensor and recorded it beautifully due North of here. Quite random indeed though as I thought things had quietened down now.

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The Mad thread always cracks me up at this time of year, it all becomes a massive war of scraping for the last snow chances of the year. Anyone in the north just dismisses charts showing snow in the south with "but that chart will never verify, it will be Midlands north" etc. 

I'm quite enjoying the skirmish in the knowledge that anything wintery (of note) for this far south is very unlikely, and if it happens then happy days. I like surprises 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.f4f46f2494a2f2b545382

This just happened!! 

Is that the gold dust we've been after all winter?! (Or last 3!!) 

Considering taking a drive to the quantocks tomorrow to attempt to see some snow falling, but I don't know as of yet, think I will have another look to see what's happening in the morning...

• Like 1

Posted

Thankfully a much quieter morning than yesterday. Cloudy with temp of 6C and a westerly breeze.

According to the GFS and METO Friday/Saturday are looking like more of rain events rather than snow but these delicately poised situations are always open to change.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_15.thumb.png.edb45c8cPPVM89.thumb.gif.39b9c8df17e80e2efd8d844gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_19.thumb.png.4d96412b

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

All quiet here no ppn wintery or otherwise. Suspect any showers will get going later today which is annoying as I arranged to start work an hour later than normal. EDIT from a wintery wonderland forecast it's backtracked to rain showers. :bad:

Edited by festivalking

Posted
58 minutes ago, knocker said:

Thankfully a much quieter morning than yesterday. Cloudy with temp of 6C and a westerly breeze.

According to the GFS and METO Friday/Saturday are looking like more of rain events rather than snow but these delicately poised situations are always open to change.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_15.thumb.png.edb45c8cPPVM89.thumb.gif.39b9c8df17e80e2efd8d844gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_19.thumb.png.4d96412b

As Knocker says, really see it being snow around down here on the coast, as two things are missing. The traditional cooling of the air before the event, and a good cold feed behind it, neither of those two seem obvious for anything other than rain here..

Pretty much like this morning, cold rain is the order of the day.

Posted
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

Mind Dorset this morning's ecm still keeps the door open as it moves the low across southern England on Saturday but I wouldn't be too hopeful

ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_6.thumb.png.62f378b8f

Looking at the various bits and pieces, it does appear that the colder air digs in later on Saturday, with DP dropping sub zero even for down here. One to watch, but no more than that right now. Let us know if you see any change Knocker.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Dry here, glimmers of blue sky peeking through the clouds but I think the cloud will win the battle today. Feeling quite chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Thin broken cloud.  Sun trying to come through. 4.2c. Light breeze 16 km/h.  Definitely Chilly..  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The blue is winning the battle :D Now at least 50% of the sky is a lovely shade of pale, forget-me-not blue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

So Nice to see the Cheerful sunshine....