Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Wow...squall just passing through...rain so intense and the winds sweeping it almost horizontal. Amazing. A rumble of thunder to add in to the mix as well!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
8 minutes ago, Dale Hay said:
1 minute ago, Chris K said:

Wow...squall just passing through...rain so intense and the winds sweeping it almost horizontal. Amazing. A rumble of thunder to add in to the mix as well!!!

I was just going to write pretty much the same thing. Not surprising seeing as you're only a mile down the road! That was awesome!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
17 minutes ago, John88B said:

yep its arrived here also

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Squall line has missed us, again. Yesterday it split as it passed right over us, tonight it is just to our north. Damn...

Yeah they always miss here, something like the last 5 and pretty much everything this season has missed here.. You might get the 2nd one that just missed me though.

Egham in Surrey getting slammed by an intense squall persisting for a while.. (why did that never happen when I was at uni there, was always more interesting at home then lol)

25 minutes ago, BARRY said:

Just had gust at prawle point of 91 knots or 104.72 m p h

Seems a bit high, I see they had an average of 65 knots/75 mph too.. Hurricane force, can't be right surely

Posted

Went through Latteridge earlier on my way out to Thornbury and the Froom has burst its banks and over the fields. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

We went to Bath earlier and it was flowing VERY fast/high in the city centre as yesterday's deluge works through the river system. What about in BoA itself? Must be extremely close?

Yeah the squall was really strong both sides of me but became drizzle here. Also I can't seem to get rid of this quote...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The wind has died right down (as expected) but just had a beast of a downpour! About 5mm in 10 minutes. Up to 17mm for the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Reasonably quiet  here . WSW Breeze  18km/h.    8.3c. Precipitation has only been 5.1mm today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

See Somerset hs flooded fields shown on local news.. Even roads flooded in the middle of Radstock last night. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Terrific squall just passed through.  4 of the brightest lightning strikes ever seen, with window-shaking rumbles of thunder. Chucking it down with rain but strongest gust remains at just after 8pm. 986mb. Not much sleep round here tonight!  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Posted

Yes i agree Kate, some of the most powerful lightning strikes witnessed in a long time here. One of which was a direct hit with virtually no delay between lightning and thunder (which was more like an explosion). The rain had stopped at that point so i wasn't expecting it either. Scared the hell out of me actually!  My weather station is reading 986mb too :-)

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Hector the Convector said:

Yes i agree Kate, some of the most powerful lightning strikes witnessed in a long time here. One of which was a direct hit with virtually no delay between lightning and thunder (which was more like an explosion). The rain had stopped at that point so i wasn't expecting it either. Scared the hell out of me actually!  My weather station is reading 986mb too :-)

Hello, Hector - yes it was quite an alarming 20 mins or so! You sure know it's raining when you're sitting in a conservatory with a plastic roof!

I don't have a station of my own, by the way. I would have got one but then I found this site and as it is quite local to me  (on the Civic Centre roof, apparently) it really didn't seem worth it! if I ever post any data it will be from here: http://www.southamptonweather.co.uk/

Well, we truly seem to be in the "calm before the storm" phase, at the moment....

• Like 2

Posted

Just been out for a fag to find I can't see the end of the garden.  Although it's currently dry the cloud base has dropped really low, it's so thick the sound of the trees blowing all around are bouncing and echoing, it's bizarre and really quite eerie. All it needs out there is a doom laden sound track you usually get with a horror film, just before the monster leaps out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Lamposts rattling away here in Stoke Gifford. The wind is making the gutters vibrate on the house too. Really awesome weather!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, katemart said:

Hello, Hector - yes it was quite an alarming 20 mins or so! You sure know it's raining when you're sitting in a conservatory with a plastic roof!

I don't have a station of my own, by the way. I would have got one but then I found this site and as it is quite local to me  (on the Civic Centre roof, apparently) it really didn't seem worth it! if I ever post any data it will be from here: http://www.southamptonweather.co.uk/

Well, we truly seem to be in the "calm before the storm" phase, at the moment....

Evening Kate, yes it was all pretty mental for a while wasn't it! I love the sound of rain on a conservatory roof but i think that would have been a little too loud for me!

I don't think i've experienced rain as heavy as that before. We even had water pouring through one of the ceilings :-/.

Yes i agree it's all very still out there now....calm before the storm!

p.s thanks for the link. It's nice to know that my station reads the same as the official reading!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

12m waves for North Cornwall coast tomorrow according to the local TV forecast. Good grief!!!!!!!!! :help:

Part of me is wishing I was still in my clifftop holiday cottage, perched on the edge at Lower Porthmeor; bet the waves there will be spectacular!

Posted

Twitter reports more than 70mph winds at Newquay and hurricane force at Fastnet! :sos: