Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

Am I the only one not getting too excited about tomorrow... The winds aren't going to be exceptional really are they? 60-70mph isn't really exceptional in my eyes? It happens in winter, we have got used to it... 80/90mph+ maybe I would be getting excited.. The rain is another matter I know. Sorry - maybe it's just me?!

I think yesterday the wind was gusting up to about 40mph so tomorrow is quite a step up from that. Wells is low lying really so probably doesn't get too much damage from high winds, idiots like me and NK who chose to live on top of the hills get buffeted a lot more. 60-70mph wind is grim on the top of the Mendips, there's nowt in the way of topography to slow it down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
10 minutes ago, jethro said:

I think yesterday the wind was gusting up to about 40mph so tomorrow is quite a step up from that. Wells is low lying really so probably doesn't get too much damage from high winds, idiots like me and NK who chose to live on top of the hills get buffeted a lot more. 60-70mph wind is grim on the top of the Mendips, there's nowt in the way of topography to slow it down.

Well, yes - you are probably right in that respect.. And I'll probably be eating my words when I try to drive to Yeovil late tomorrow morning! 

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Morning. Dry with a blue sky  here :)

Dilemma of the day.....do we fix the fence,  or do we leave it until after Imogen has passed through in case we lose it again?

Leave it. Mine's been propped up since Frank visited!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

9.7mm of rain here, yesterday.

There's imogen getting wound up!

2016-02-07.thumb.png.4f367e2a8d7e64ecd83

Temp: 10.1°C - Hum: 57% - Dew: 2.1°C - Bar:  995.82 hPa - Wind:  WSW @ 10mph

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

My daughter is called Imogen. I'm loving all the 'Imogen isset to cause trouble' 'Imogen is getting wound up' headlines. I might make her a nice little collage if I can't do much else tomorrow:rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, knocker said:

Stratus, mist and rain well underway.

That makes a nice change for you knocker :D

Maybe it will get interesting later for you with a change of intensity to mix things up a bit. :bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring
11 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

I can confirm the Avon has burst it's banks at Bathampton, Keynsham and Limpley Stoke. 

Add Melksham to the list, and quite a few areas of countryside in between, to the list....tomorrow looking really grim. Heed the warnings and stay safe people

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nights King said:

That makes a nice change for you knocker :D

Maybe it will get interesting later for you with a change of intensity to mix things up a bit. :bad:

Well perhaps not too much rain this week but.........................

Latest METO update

Regional forecast for South West England

Gales or severe gales with showers some heavy at times.

This Evening and Tonight:

Windy with gales and severe gales after midnight, especially over exposed coasts and hills. Rain clearing to scattered heavy and possibly thundery showers, these merging into longer spells of rain at times. Minimum Temperature 5°C.

Monday:

Gales and severe gales with gusts of 70-80mph slowly easing later in the afternoon and evening. Scattered, locally heavy, showers will gradually become less frequent through the afternoon too. Maximum Temperature 9°C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

On Tuesday strong winds and showers gradually easing. Sunny spells with occasional showers on Wednesday after a chilly start. Further showers and windy weather for Thursday.

Updated at: 1530 on Sun 7 Feb 2016

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
45 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

I can confirm the Avon has burst it's banks at Bathampton, Keynsham and Limpley Stoke. 

The Avon always bursts its banks at Keynsham.

The football fields are always swimming pools this time of year.  Hopefully the sheep are Ok.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, ThundersnowDays said:

We went to Bath earlier and it was flowing VERY fast/high in the city centre as yesterday's deluge works through the river system. What about in BoA itself? Must be extremely close?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello all.

I needn't add any more to what has been said elsewhere in these forums or via the media outlets I guess, but I'd suggest people take things steady tomorrow. Storm Imogen has the potential to be quite a nasty one, bringing a true gale day to many of us and many more hours of rain to come alongside the winds, flooding being inevitable.

Here is the UKMO's take on proceedings via their blog.

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2016/02/07/storm-imogen-brings-gales-to-southern-areas-of-britain/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Well perhaps not too much rain this week but.........................

Latest METO update

Regional forecast for South West England

Gales or severe gales with showers some heavy at times.

This Evening and Tonight:

Windy with gales and severe gales after midnight, especially over exposed coasts and hills. Rain clearing to scattered heavy and possibly thundery showers, these merging into longer spells of rain at times. Minimum Temperature 5°C.

Monday:

Gales and severe gales with gusts of 70-80mph slowly easing later in the afternoon and evening. Scattered, locally heavy, showers will gradually become less frequent through the afternoon too. Maximum Temperature 9°C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

On Tuesday strong winds and showers gradually easing. Sunny spells with occasional showers on Wednesday after a chilly start. Further showers and windy weather for Thursday.

Updated at: 1530 on Sun 7 Feb 2016

Thanks for this Knocker, some nasty weather incoming, albeit quite fascinating too for those not caught up in its effects or safely watching from a distance. :hi:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

For wintry prospects, I would keep a keen eye on next Tuesday night as therein lies some hope, more especially for those with elevation on their side as ever. :cold::good:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
15 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

We went to Bath earlier and it was flowing VERY fast/high in the city centre as yesterday's deluge works through the river system. What about in BoA itself? Must be extremely close?

It's over the railings but that happens most winters but it's close and I haven't been down there for a few hours. With more rain on the way tonight and tomorrow I think there's a good chance it will flood the centre.

Posted
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Amazing how different it is as not a million miles away and we had 27.8mm yesterday.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

We have local flooding and roads impassable .............. wind picking up here now and rain sounding like pebbles against the window .................

keeping an eye out on the fences in the back garden ..............

Themorning will be interesting i should imagine .

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

After a weekend of heavy rain here in Cornwall (Falmouth area), the wind is really picking up tonight.  Should be an interesting drive and then car ferry back to the IOW tomorrow. Decided to head in-land via the A303 rather than take the coastal route via Bridport.

Posted
2 minutes ago, wormster33 said:

After a weekend of heavy rain here in Cornwall (Falmouth area), the wind is really picking up tonight.  Should be an interesting drive and then car ferry back to the IOW tomorrow. Decided to head in-land via the A303 rather than take the coastal route via Bridport.

Good luck with that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
42 minutes ago, gottolovethisweather said:

For wintry prospects, I would keep a keen eye on next Tuesday night as therein lies some hope, more especially for those with elevation on their side as ever. :cold::good:

I have been watching Tuesdays chances for a couple of days now and although Meto app shows snow as well as Netweather they have not mentioned even the chance? 

I know they have storm Imogen to worry about but its only 2 days away now?

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1