Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
19 minutes ago, jethro said:

Any one got any idea when the wind is supposed to die down? Given up on the idea of work, just spent the last half an hour desperately propping up the fence - three posts have snapped, the whole lot's currently holding up on a wing and a prayer.

The beeb are suggesting it'll continue until around tea time and http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ shows it's still blowing out west.

7 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Went out for 10 mins, regretted it. Even with a hoot on, my face got so cold I could barely move my eyebrows.

Still mostly rain here, it can't seem to come down heavy for long enough at a time. I'm right on the eastern edge of what looks to be a powerful convergence line that has really got its act together now. Amazingly it's edging a little west with time, despite the low drifting SE.

The Net Weather 500 m radar keeps showing sleet just down the road from me with rain overhead despite there being no difference in terrain elevation. Suspicious or what?

We're getting the odd bit if sleet thrown in just up the road from you, but it's mostly rain. I suspect it's been quite exciting over Martin Down this morning.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

20.4mm to 09.00 and not a lot since thank goodness.  Still blowing a hoolie. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Blimey what a morning started by driving through flooded roads on school run, the last fence panel gave up and is now spread all over garden and then a phone call from my daughter asking to be picked up because school has been shut the roof had blown off absolute chaos there kids parents and police everywhere. Now back home watching big chunks of wet snow mixed in with the rain. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
16 minutes ago, jtay said:

The beeb are suggesting it'll continue until around tea time and http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ shows it's still blowing out west.

Thank you. Can't see the fence propping holding out that long, hey ho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
12 minutes ago, jtay said:

We're getting the odd bit if sleet thrown in just up the road from you, but it's mostly rain. I suspect it's been quite exciting over Martin Down this morning.

The radar has just shifted the sleet zone east but the precip. intensity keeps dropping off at the moment.

I believe the radar makes use of hourly observation data, particularly dew points. It has its moments but can indeed be unreliable at times.

Fascinating events going on from watching the 500 m radar; the vicious convergence line I had earlier has drifted a little west and is now fading out, but new features are now developing rapidly to the east of it, one now affecting Southampton and the other Andover. The old convergence line came together from such features so it could be that a new one is about to form some 20-30 mile east of the old one. This also shifts the sleety zone east.

It seems likely that full-on snow is not going to happen to low levels but it would be interesting to see a good few wet flakes in the mix for a time. The main story though is the rain, followed close behind by the wind. The local stream has risen about a foot since yesterday and is about to spill its banks and flood nearby fields, with properties at risk. More than half the local drains are unable to take any more - the surface flooding on the roads is incredible for March; more like I'd expect to see in a strong summer thunderstorm. The wind has had a serious bite to it, but as usual, the local flora is proving tough as nails, with only small branches down so far despite a fair few gusts nearing 60 mph.

I actually think that if someone went out with just a light fleece on today and no hat, they'd be in a critical condition after half an hour or so.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1457481600&regionName=se

Just noticed what the Met Office did with the warning update.

Since then there has been a considerable increase in rain rates up toward Andover and heading SSW from there. Preparing the egg for throwing... :p

Edited by Singularity

Posted

Well that was a precipitation type lottery this morning while delivering my fortnightly paper round! It kept switching from drizzle to light rain to ice pellets to sleet to wet snow all dependant on intensity and even the wind strength as stronger gusts seemed to push snow to ground level.

Having assumed (how silly!) the heavier precipitation would be more wintry a red radar echo pushed over as solely rain and soaked me to the skin lol.

It was 6.1c at 06.00 and dropped to 2.6c at some stage and is now back 'up' at 4.3c with continuing showery rain/gales. As for the amount of rain, my gauge visibly shows around an inch but I won't be checking until later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
8 minutes ago, Singularity said:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1457481600&regionName=se

Just noticed what the Met Office did with the warning update.

Since then there has been a considerable increase in rain rates up toward Andover and heading SSW from there. Preparing the egg for throwing... :p

I think the supermarkets will be running out of eggs around here.
The radio has been mentioning of so many accidents, trees down, flooding and lorries turned over around this area- the original warning completely missed us out.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Not that much rain/snow here today. A few wind gusts bit not that bad. 

One weird thing of note today was that on the radar showed heavy rain right over the top where i am and yet at one stage there was nothing falling from the sky so quite how that works I just don't know ! 

• Like 2

Posted

Just spoke to a customer who's been out to one of the company farms at Pewsey this morning. He said it was pretty much all snow up there earlier. His workshop is near Andover, where it's been more sleety.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, offerman said:

Not that much rain/snow here today. A few wind gusts bit not that bad. 

One weird thing of note today was that on the radar showed heavy rain right over the top where i am and yet at one stage there was nothing falling from the sky so quite how that works I just don't know ! 

Same here, last couple radar returns have some moderately heavy rainfall over us, but nothing on the ground! 

The rain mostly passed us over night, although it did continue until about 9 before easing off... So it hasn't seemed too crazy here.

But certainly, it is cold out there in the wind!! 

Posted

Seems quite an active day, based on the local rag:

Three lorries have been blown over on the A35 west of Dorchester

C13 through Dinah's Hollow to be closed for at least a week after 30 tonne landslip

A tree is blocking the A35 through the New Forest

A tree is blocking Wimborne Road East

Crashes at Holes Bay and Gravel Hill are causing delays

A tree is blocking Castle Farm Road in Lytchett Matravers

Met Office has lifted severe weather warning for rain but warning for wind still in force

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
18 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Seems quite an active day, based on the local rag:

Three lorries have been blown over on the A35 west of Dorchester

C13 through Dinah's Hollow to be closed for at least a week after 30 tonne landslip

A tree is blocking the A35 through the New Forest

A tree is blocking Wimborne Road East

Crashes at Holes Bay and Gravel Hill are causing delays

A tree is blocking Castle Farm Road in Lytchett Matravers

Met Office has lifted severe weather warning for rain but warning for wind still in force

But the wind warning⚠ doesn't cover our area and never did. Very odd considering the impacts.

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

But the wind warning⚠ doesn't cover our area and never did. Very odd considering the impacts.

I don't think they applied the 'shift it 40-50 miles east South West Regional Thread rule', so the quiet eye missed the modelled target.

Posted

OK localised one for you jtay and mr singularity,i live quite near to both of you and ask this....last winter didn't see a snowflake at all,ditto this year,you are slightly higher than me but not much,am I correct in this assumption

Posted
6 minutes ago, jy said:

OK localised one for you jtay and mr singularity,i live quite near to both of you and ask this....last winter didn't see a snowflake at all,ditto this year,you are slightly higher than me but not much,am I correct in this assumption

Hello jy. Last year we got this on the 3rd Feb... I made the snowdog in my avatar that day too.

Capture_d.thumb.PNG.5f228833185ffd4ac9b7Capture_s.thumb.PNG.8ab479703fd78139b450

I seem to remember that we were lucky and that it was very localised.

Just checked the thread for that period and found that I posted this on the 29th Jan too...

'That was great fun while it lasted. It was black as your hat while it was snowing.   Here's the back edge as it head south east towards the New Forest.  '

Capture_j.thumb.PNG.ab7f82e8e728badec0f1

So in short, last winter was better than this one; but it was still rubbish.

Posted

Thanks for the reply....localised indeed as you are about 4 miles from me,looks like a decent fall so no didn't have that here,this Winter nearest to a snowflake seen was splodges on a bus windscreen of sleet on birthday break in Somerset in Feb lol....the wait appears to continue

#

Posted
37 minutes ago, jy said:

Thanks for the reply....localised indeed as you are about 4 miles from me,looks like a decent fall so no didn't have that here,this Winter nearest to a snowflake seen was splodges on a bus windscreen of sleet on birthday break in Somerset in Feb lol....the wait appears to continue

#

Didn't you get that snow last February? 3rd of February i think it was?

post-15177-0-68680100-1422952313_thumb.jpost-15177-0-72780800-1422959380_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Again thanks thought id have remembered it but enough evidence to re check my gardening working diary for last year,may have overlooked it

Posted

A very windy day! Had a gust of 59mph on my station, the highest I've recorded (beating 54mph in February 2014, though that is probably a local effect, I think many places had higher then due to the number of conifers brought down). The average wind speed reached 36mph too.

Many gusts over 50mph, though it's dropped in the last hour or so but still gusting up to 42mph. 

It's funny really, Imogen which was named and had amber warnings only gave 42mph here, but this un-named system gives 59mph. Shows how topography and surroundings play a role, it does seem to funnel down the valley (even though the flow isn't completely alligned with it). 

Lots of twigs/sticks on the lanes, found a few trees down on a walk around here too though none especially big.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

A very windy day! Had a gust of 59mph on my station, the highest I've recorded (beating 54mph in February 2014, though that is probably a local effect, I think many places had higher then due to the number of conifers brought down). The average wind speed reached 36mph too.

Many gusts over 50mph, though it's dropped in the last hour or so but still gusting up to 42mph. 

It's funny really, Imogen which was named and had amber warnings only gave 42mph here, but this un-named system gives 59mph. Shows how topography and surroundings play a role, it does seem to funnel down the valley (even though the flow isn't completely alligned with it). 

Lots of twigs/sticks on the lanes, found a few trees down on a walk around here too though none especially big.

Have you (or anybody else) any idea why this storm wasn't named? It was a full blown, quickly developed, very deep low!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Have you (or anybody else) any idea why this storm wasn't named? It was a full blown, quickly developed, very deep low!

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2016/03/09/severe-gales-but-why-was-it-stormwithnoname/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Interesting how many locations in our area are mentioned in that blog for rainfall totals, especially to the North of our area.