Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Temp 2.9C, blowing a gale here, with 22.6mm in the rain gauge, rain is just turning to sleet as I type.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm in Upton heading to work, come out of costa coffee and it is snowing. 100% snowing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

What a vile morning! There was heavy, driving snow earlier but it's just rain now and it's really windy. The dogs have been barking on and off most of the night due to the wind; as it's blowing across the top of the aga flue it's creating the noise you get when you blow across a bottle top - it's really loud in the kitchen. Any idea when this is supposed to die down?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

driving sleet in a howling gale, temps dropping...............very close to a change over to snow.........I've got to drive to bristol in an hour, wish me luck! :help:

Posted
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

driving sleet in a howling gale, temps dropping...............very close to a change over to snow.........I've got to drive to bristol in an hour, wish me luck! :help:

Ditto. Not looking forward to the drive, far too many ancient trees lining the roads round here, they drop limbs with the slightest of breezes. Not looking forward to working outside in it all day either.

Posted

Wintry mix now. But was nice to see. So close to the coast as well and Upton isn't exactly the highest place in the country lol

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

Quite an impressive drop of in temperature after the low crossed and then wind changed direction, usually the sort of temperature change you would expect after a front has cleared and you get a clear spell. But this not the case. Probably need to take a degree of the temperature as my thermometer is not in an ideal position. 

image.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Rather hairy drive to work this morning - blowing an absolute hoolie. Could see snow in Wales looking west from the M5.

I didn't check how much rain had fallen overnight but the rain guage looks over 2/3 full and the direction it came in from has meant the kitchen was under water from rain blowing through the cat flap! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Brighter.  Light  rain. 4.4c. Breeze Northerly.   46-49  km/h.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Morning all

Wild down here today with this updated warning from our local met dept making concerning reading, especially due to the duration of the storm with NW gales expected for 12 hours, peaking between 12 and 3 pm ...

Red Warning - update 090316.jpg

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Violent gusts now, touching 60 mph at times, and driving rain. It's like being adrift at sea in a major storm... truly as harsh as I can recall at this location (I've not seen a blizzard here in case you're wondering).

Some sleet in the heaviest bursts. Watching with interest a more persistent area of very heavy rain that's moving through Andover.

For a combination of wind, rain and possible snow, this is the most ferocious storm in many years here. Even 2013/14 falls a little short.

Posted

Next door just text me to let me know my fence and wood shed is in bits and flying down the garden! Grr

Posted
4 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Violent gusts now, touching 60 mph at times, and driving rain. It's like being adrift at sea in a major storm... truly as harsh as I can recall at this location (I've not seen a blizzard here in case you're wondering).

Some sleet in the heaviest bursts. Watching with interest a more persistent area of very heavy rain that's moving through Andover.

For a combination of wind, rain and possible snow, this is the most ferocious storm in many years here. Even 2013/14 falls a little short.

Without the 60 foot waves.

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

Without the 60 foot waves.

Admittedly, yes :D

Posted

It's pretty unpleasant, glad I work indoors. The wind is howling, the rain/ice pellets smashing against the window, right old mish mash today. Love it. Shame it's not the same setup in January, could have been a snow storm  considering the wintry element to the ppn today?

@Mapantz what's your rain total so far? My rain gauge is dead

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
25 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

It's pretty unpleasant, glad I work indoors. The wind is howling, the rain/ice pellets smashing against the window, right old mish mash today. Love it. Shame it's not the same setup in January, could have been a snow storm  considering the wintry element to the ppn today?

@Mapantz what's your rain total so far? My rain gauge is dead

http://www.warehamwx.com/cu/gauges.htm

28.4mm so far. Most of the rain fell last night- 17mm in 2 and a half hours. I find it odd that the MetO would miss out a small section of a warning like that, there's reports of trees down and the roads are a mess. I've just got back from Poole, and there's floods all over the place coming back in to town.

I have to say, it is very strange having winds this strong from the Northwest..

• Like 2

Posted

Any one got any idea when the wind is supposed to die down? Given up on the idea of work, just spent the last half an hour desperately propping up the fence - three posts have snapped, the whole lot's currently holding up on a wing and a prayer.

Posted

Went out for 10 mins, regretted it. Even with a hoot on, my face got so cold I could barely move my eyebrows.

Still mostly rain here, it can't seem to come down heavy for long enough at a time. I'm right on the eastern edge of what looks to be a powerful convergence line that has really got its act together now. Amazingly it's edging a little west with time, despite the low drifting SE.

The Net Weather 500 m radar keeps showing sleet just down the road from me with rain overhead despite there being no difference in terrain elevation. Suspicious or what?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Went out for 10 mins, regretted it. Even with a hoot on, my face got so cold I could barely move my eyebrows.

Still mostly rain here, it can't seem to come down heavy for long enough at a time. I'm right on the eastern edge of what looks to be a powerful convergence line that has really got its act together now. Amazingly it's edging a little west with time, despite the low drifting SE.

The Net Weather 500 m radar keeps showing sleet just down the road from me with rain overhead despite there being no difference in terrain elevation. Suspicious or what?

I believe the ppn types on those radars is based on modeled conditions, so not overly accurate in marginal situations.

But I could be wrong. Sure I read that somewhere. 

Edited by karlos1983