Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
34 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

The air above you is too warm, so you're getting freezing rain not snow. ;)

I noticed that the 850's are about -4c but I have seen snow falling with those uppers before when the ground temp has been low enough.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

After a frosty start at -1.1°C, it's now overcast and +3.1°C.  Whatever the precipitation on the radar is, it's not making contact with the ground!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Frost to start, which was still on the roof of the car when it started to rain! Light rain for a time driving to work which has since stopped. I think a grey chilly day with sporadic light rain will be the order of the day before tonight's deluge arrives. Looks like the second stormy Wednesday in a row.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
17 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

I noticed that the 850's are about -4c but I have seen snow falling with those uppers before when the ground temp has been low enough.

They may be, but the air at about 300 m is above freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
33 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Frost to start, which was still on the roof of the car when it started to rain! Light rain for a time driving to work which has since stopped. I think a grey chilly day with sporadic light rain will be the order of the day before tonight's deluge arrives. Looks like the second stormy Wednesday in a row.

I am still hoping we can get that deluge to turn to snow over mendips, its going to be a close one.. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Please mind the gap.. 

Screenshot_2016-03-08-11-02-41.thumb.png

Mentions snow but mainly above 300m which is rather high I expect i'll get a sleet fest :angry: or i'll be at work when it turns :wallbash:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

No moans from you tomorrow then?

Could always join "us" in the "triangle of nothingness"

haha I know I am one of the few getting excited but I have seen these before in spring and they can bring a surprise. If it does turn to snow with those heavy ppn rates it could be impressive.

warning does state 2cm possible at low levels so there is a risk of snow in region. :)

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Would be great if some of us could see some white stuff overnight ,probably with a good bit of hight would be the best quess .

But real concerns for the strength of the wind and direction ,any trees already weak could be uprooted and i dont think it will take massive gusts ,and potential is certainly there .

a night for radar watching if ones up to it , shame its not all 6 weeks back ,take care all ,got a feeling in my water [thatchers cider ]that next winter will be the holy grail of winters , best of luck for tonight ,at least we do have some heavy precipitation which should help ,sausage bap coming up cheers .

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

warning does state 2cm possible at low levels so there is a risk of snow in region. :)

The Bermuda triangle looses planes, the Dorset triangle losses snowflakes, nobody knows where they go, they just disappear, so even if they do start to fall we never know as they never reach the ground:cc_confused:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Ever done one of those things that you kind of wish you hadn't afterwards?

A friend of mine has a ski lodge business in the French Alps, knowing my love of snow he likes to torment me on a regular basis about the volume they've received. Having reported with great excitement that I'd had a whole inch of snow on Friday, he retaliated with his 1.1mtr of fresh snow over the weekend. I have told him 'you can go off people you know' but he knows after nigh on 40 years of friendship, he's probably safe.

Anyway.......it got me to thinking and wondering..... taking the METO figures for average national rainfall this past winter and applying the 1 inch of rain makes 10 inches of snow formula, guess how much we'd have had if the whole lot fell as snow.......    5MTRS!!!!!!!!!

5MTRS is the stuff of dreams. Having done that calculation, my mind's turned to how to get the Gulf Stream to shut down....

Posted

Anyone else got that niggling thought that had this very weather set up which we've had since last Wednesday occurred 4 to 8 weeks ago we'd have had decent snow already, some very harsh/severe frosts and be due an absolute dumping tonight/tomorrow!

As it is today is a very typical warm sector day for this area, bright with drizzly rain at times, but we're not in a warm sector lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Anyone else got that niggling thought that had this very weather set up which we've had since last Wednesday occurred 4 to 8 weeks ago we'd have had decent snow already, some very harsh/severe frosts and be due an absolute dumping tonight/tomorrow!

As it is today is a very typical warm sector day for this area, bright with drizzly rain at times, but we're not in a warm sector lol.

Don't do it to yourself, that way lays madness :fool:

Posted

BBC points west showed snow over Mendips for morning :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
59 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Andy - I've been thinking (and saying it to the wife) all week!

Posted
1 hour ago, Nights King said:

For reference^ 

• Like 3

Posted

After that snap shot I'm getting excited.. Ready for the come down in morning when I see rain :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

After that snap shot I'm getting excited.. Ready for the come down in morning when I see rain :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've given up on winter, the missus thinks I'm nuts everytime snow is forecast lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

After all the let downs, I'm going to expect rain, rain and nothing but rain.

Posted
2 hours ago, Nights King said:

Yeah also this from Fergie:

W COUNTRY Alongside heavy rain, a fine-balanced risk of 2-4cm snow early hrs Weds, esp #Mendips/Broadfield Down #Cotswolds #Salisbury Plain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

I got a funny feeling about this storm, when it first showed in the models, I was keeping half an eye on potential snowfall! And seeing Ians tweet earlier certainly backs up the "potential"

Its the ppn rates that will be crucial, and everything is pointing to some very lively echoes appearing on the Radar in our region.

Being in the Cotswolds Im going to be waking up that bit early to see what's falling from the sky, I have cancelled work tomorrow and laid off the lads for the day (building a house with no roof yet so rain or snow we cant really work) so am looking forward to seeing what the early morning could possibly bring.

Im at about 100 meters up, but just one minute drive and I'm at around 250 meters, Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Im hoping that if the heavy ppn gets going and it turns to snow appreciable accumulations might be possible.

• Like 1