Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Heavy showers with hail/sleet and some snow earlier, a proper covering of hail in Sidbury (just north of Sidmouth) when driving through, but it was localised, half a mile north there was nothing!. Then on the higher ground that reaches nearly 250m between Sidbury and Honiton, there was very strong winds with snow and graupel/hail, giving a dusting. Also thunder in Sidmouth, but didn't hear it being in the car.

Then came across this on the way home through lanes:
56d6cc628207f_IMG_20160302_1018479141.th

just about managed to move it. 

Also some hail:
56d6cc87ec535_IMG_20160302_102524645_HDR
There was considerably more than this in Sidbury, but I was driving on a main road (which was covered in icy hail) so couldn't really take photos

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, offerman said:

Huge fork lighting just before 10a.m massive thunderclap.

rain,hail,sleet,wet snow

Photo:  Cley Hill

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good photos, I could just about make out the whiteness on Cley Hill but there may have been less this side on the lee side in the gale force wind. As for the lightning, there was no struggle to make out the extremely bright flash/bolt and resulting thunder.

• Like 1

Posted

One friend up on Dartmoor has a tree down and another in Sidmouth heard thunder in with the snow. Exciting stuff. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
4 minutes ago, Bazray said:

Maybe our turn on Friday?

image.jpg

Predominantly for areas 200m - 400m plus.  I think sleet is the best a lot of us can hope for.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The winds have finally struck a chord here. Gusts of 40mph now, max wind speed of 28mph. That's pretty good for winds from the NW in this location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

First snow of the winter here in Stroud, woohooo lol

Huge shower moved in around 1015am, very squally, and the rain sleet turned to heavy snow for 30 minutes or so. No settling at lower levels, but the coomons aound stroud had a dusting.

Was nice to see some of the white stuff falling!

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, Bazray said:

Maybe our turn on Friday?

image.jpg

Must be one of the daftest warnings i'v seen - 1-2cm above 200m is just embarrassing. I think even those estimates are overcooked as cant really see too much settling going on

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Must be one of the daftest warnings i'v seen - 1-2cm above 200m is just embarrassing. I think even those estimates are overcooked as cant really see too much settling going on

To be fair the warning is mainly for black ice 

Posted

not wishing to be pedantic but it does display the snow symbol - thats the bit I was referring to....there is a separate warning for ice.

Anyway gripe over ..

• Like 1

Posted

Seen the first snow flake of the winter here, very large shower, turned to hail then some snow, large flakes but gone before you blinked. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Hail and more hail this morning.. Did see some flakes of snow about 09:30.. 

Radstock was chaos this morning with a tree lying across the road. Total snarl up.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Another massive shower line is now moving into Cornwall and Devon. This could well have sleet and snow in it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
58 minutes ago, cobbett said:

:yahoo:

I'd almost kill for 2cm after the last winter! :D

• Like 1

Posted

Aha proper late winter/early Spring conditions now with bright sunshine mixed in with CBs and hail showers. The air aloft must be very cold to drag this type of precipitation down as at ground level it's 6.8c .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Looks like a trough in the flow is moving into west Wales with some very heavy ppn associated! Could be snow under that lot if it remains potent.

image.png

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Afternoon ,just been out with old friends, meal plus a thatchers gold ,crikey blowing a gale here earlier .

just noticed on radar a nice area of something developing across east wales moving in this direction ,weather warnings being put out for many areas today ,shame we arent back four weeks or so but does look like higher ground could see the white stuff fingers crossed ,cheers all .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Seems like the band is weakening slightly. Uppers still between -4°C and -5°C across the region but and freezing level hasn't risen much so snow still quite likely to low levels for a time.

Posted

I see virga fallstreak towards Poole and Bournemouth, not sure if anything wintry is falling that way?!

Weather station left Dusseldorf very early this morning- hoping it's in Southampton by tonight, then maybe it'll turn up tomorrow! :D

Posted

I've just spotted on my website that there's been a magnitude 7.8 quake in Indonesia. a Tsunami warning was issued, but it has since been lifted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
57 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Looks like a trough in the flow is moving into west Wales with some very heavy ppn associated! Could be snow under that lot if it remains potent.

image.png

I can't find a single 06z high-res model that has the feature organised in this way. NMM isn't far off I suppose but still has it focused over S Wales and running SE from there, as opposed to aligned N-S as far south as Devon (though it is moving almost SE to be fair)

It's amazing the errors you can find at just 10-11 hours range.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Singularity said:

I can't find a single 06z high-res model that has the feature organised in this way. NMM isn't far off I suppose but still has it focused over S Wales and running SE from there, as opposed to aligned N-S as far south as Devon (though it is moving almost SE to be fair)

It's amazing the errors you can find at just 10-11 hours range.

It looks like the timings are out, and placements (slightly)

1hourpreciprate_d02_30.thumb.png.cb516ccviewimage.thumb.png.439dfda6626a4577dcc9