Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Washing drying on the line, heating turned back down yesterday morning after only 10 days at what we would usually consider a winter long thermostat setting, saving money which is great.

As for today's conditions ; 13.2c, strong SW wind, low cloud clearing occasionally to sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Maxed out at 13.5°C here today. It wasn't as bad as what the forecast showed either, that showed a weak front crossing with rain/drizzle. I had none of that, and the sun came out- good day for drying washing.

Currently..

Temp: 9.9°C - Hum: 77% - Bar: 1024.05hPa - Wind:  W/WSW @ 2mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
4 hours ago, knocker said:

Regarding the 1891 blizzard mentioned above could history repeat itself this year?

Rrea00118910309.thumb.gif.fbbf3f5d9d04e6

I'm interested to know what made you say that?

Considering what the models are currently showing

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Rich_Clements said:

I'm interested to know what made you say that?

Considering what the models are currently showing

Nothing specific obviously but one way to a possible cold event this year, and maybe the only one. would be blocking developing Greenland/mid Atlantic and a trough sinking to the east. This chart from 1891 has some resemblance to this scenario. Really just a touch of whimsy.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, knocker said:

Nothing specific obviously but one way to a possible cold event this year, and maybe the only one. would be blocking developing Greenland/mid Atlantic and a trough sinking to the east. This chart from 1891 has some resemblance to this scenario. Really just a touch of whimsy.

Posted
8 hours ago, knocker said:

Regarding the 1891 blizzard mentioned above could history repeat itself this year?

Rrea00118910309.thumb.gif.fbbf3f5d9d04e6

Ha! Quite. Given the *largely* +ve temp (and ppn) anomalies stretching out to mid-later Feb in tonight's EC Monthly (and whilst at least tipping a nod to the small minority of cold E/NE'ly stamps post mid-month contained therein), it would be an interesting about-turn, for sure! But let's see how the EC & GloSea modelling beds-down on likely broadscale pattern thro/post next 2-3 weeks....Both, as of tonight, still signal Atlantic ridging 2nd half of Feb and a resultant greater likelihood of longer colder phases from NW/N.

Edited by fergieweather
  • Like 6

Posted

While rain in the Northwest isn't welcome at all, some models show some nasty totals for parts of South Wales, Devon, Cornwall as well.  In fact, it looks like much of the region could see a lot! Any concerns at the MetO @fergieweather
The EA are keeping an eye on the Frome down this way- high tides still associated with the recent full moon, and high water levels etc

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Breezy ol' start to the day, yet still dry (as forecasted though).

Currently:

Temp 8.8°C

RH 91%

1016mb falling

Wind 19mph SW

Passing shower seems to have made the surfaces wet, but patchy cloud and one heck of a bright moon at least make walking down the unlit street bareable (it's dustbin day and people stick them right inthe middle of the foot path, ready for you to fall over them)

Posted

This mornings weather is ugh with a touch of yuk. 8.3C Pressure 1011 and fa;;ing Wind speed 21 mph gusting to 33 from the south. All in all a pretty crap day. 

Really hope some of theose rainfall totalls don't materialise on the moors . We don't need another Boscastle type event ( i know that was a totally different set of weather events)

• Like 1

Posted

Phew managed to beat the rain on the commute this morning, I think it will not be long before the rain arrives wind has picked up a lot too.

Posted

Good morning.

Mostly Cloudy, with strengthening winds and have already recorded a 30mph gust with rain not far away. Davis Vantage Vue: 9.7°c, 81% RH, Dew P 7°C 1014.6mb falling rapidly, no rain, Yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

I do like a good storm so hoping for some decent wind gusts today. See the papers are saying the army are on standby for devon and cornwall plus the north west. Looking at the MO weather warnings this area is only on the be aware (yellow) alert for rain and wind.  More paper hype for down here, suspect more true the further north and west.

Posted

Cloudy and very windy. A 37mph gust recorded this morning- tend to record lower speeds from the SW as there's too many high obstacles in the way compared to the South.

Temp: 11.2°c - Hum: 72% - Bar: 1018.17hPa - Wind: SW @ 16mph - Gusting to 30mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

good morning ,the rain seems to be holding back from my location so a sign perhaps that its going to be a slower progression eastwards today .

next 36 hrs look dire for many and a possible repeat on friday .

Spending today decorating ,so a bacon butty to start  [rain just arrived on windows ] take care all .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Dark and wet with an occasionally howling wind. Very Novemberish!

Posted

RAINING. Nuff said.

I sincerely hope the latest predictions for end Feb, March and April turn out to be completely wrong as cold/cool in Spring is not what i want.

Posted

Rapidly going downhill here after a nice, if blowy, start to the day.

Our Cormorant friends were back over the fish farm, just before a nice sunrise.

IMGP0170_sm.thumb.jpg.00a1c01eef1b693a7fIMGP0171_sm.thumb.jpg.b59b866cc6465754ae

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
25 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

RAINING. Nuff said.

I sincerely hope the latest predictions for end Feb, March and April turn out to be completely wrong as cold/cool in Spring is not what i want.

Persistent winter synoptics in spring would just be a kick in the teeth. A decent cold spell in early March if needs be then proper spring would be my preference. Something like March 2005, April 2003, May 2004. I can only dream.

Posted

Currently overcast, quite windy with light rain.. 10.8c

I suspect my area is relatively safe from any disruptive rainfall being in the shadow of Dartmoor, so just persistent light or perhaps moderate rain. Some other parts especially the hills/moors could see some pretty high totals though (and perhaps along the S coast further east than my sheltered spot), and hence some issues, though the rivers draining the moors are more used to high totals, and some models want to push the heavier stuff through the channel tomorrow.

06z Euro4 just for a guide out to 6am Thursday

16012806_2606.gif

Posted
3 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

RAINING. Nuff said.

I wouldn't worry too much just yet. The MetO 3 month contingency for winter said winter would be mild but unexceptional. Didn't pick up on December craziness, said that the second half of winter would be colder, yet we're into the second half now and places are still recording daily temp records. 

Edited by March