Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
8 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Yuck. 6.20am walking the dog. 2C easterly gale and cold rain. Plus phone died due to the unknown hole in coat pocket.....any tips on drying a samsung s6?

Put it in a sandwich bag with some rice and pop it in the airing cupboard.

Weather? Wintry drizzle T1.8C,humidity 91% pressure 1008 and steady.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
13 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Yuck. 6.20am walking the dog. 2C easterly gale and cold rain. Plus phone died due to the unknown hole in coat pocket.....any tips on drying a samsung s6?

airing cupboard, leave it for at least 24 hours, do not turn it on whilst there is the chance it is still wet, or it will B****r the electrics

the rice bit is a myth. put it on a towel, if you put it in a bag, it won't dry.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
2 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Put it in a sandwich bag with some rice and pop it in the airing cupboard.

Weather? Wintry drizzle T1.8C,humidity 91% pressure 1008 and steady.

Cheers will give it a go. May be a sign to step away from weather forums......(when not in work)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Logged into Facebook this morning and it chose to remind me of an event from three years ago today. A bit of a difference from the bleak greyness of this morning, I think Dulux would classify it as somewhere between Battleship and Pewter.

878_4801979920311_638156859_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Starting the day as yesterday finished - grey, chilly (but technically mild for early in the morning at this time of year) with occasional drizzle. Such a shame no cold air was in place otherwise this would have been a long snow event for us with some cold, dry days to keep the chill in before any mild tries to arrive at the end of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

An unexpected wet start to the day here. Rainfall Today: 14.2 mm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
33 minutes ago, festivalking said:

My Samsung went through the washing machine a couple of years back. I thought there was no chance of it ever working again but I took it apart and left it on a radiator for 3 or 4 days and it did the trick!

Oh and don't try and turn it on until you're sure it has totally dried out.

Edited by John88B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Thick drizzle, 3.8c and falling as it was 4.2c an hour ago, brisk raw SE wind. Basically the same as we had for most of December except 8c-10c colder!

Any chance of an undercut to turn this precip wintry as it edges away later? The NW precip type is showing sleet on the Eastern edge at the moment.

It was falling as sleet on mendip first thing before I left for the big smoke. 

Posted
30 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

airing cupboard, leave it for at least 24 hours, do not turn it on whilst there is the chance it is still wet, or it will B****r the electrics

the rice bit is a myth. put it on a towel, if you put it in a bag, it won't dry.

Of course I pressed all manner of buttons wondering why it was not working, so it might be too late! :oops:

Weatherwise - some echos of sleet looking at the radar over the tops of dartmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Well, it's a long time since a rain band stalled directly overhead. Rainfall Today: 15.0 mm.

Posted
15 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

THat's what I do, as does Mapantz. I run my data onto a notepad laptop and from there it uploads to Go Daddy, where my website resides, using Weather display. See my link below. Mapantz way is far more techie than mine, but I just let mine plod on, storing data and making it available, so for me it works. Of course you could really geek it and use a RASPBERRY as you basic data capture and do a web upload from there, saves using a PC.

That's what I've done... A reduced Maplin unit and a Raspberry Pi, running the following --> http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk/index.php?page=station_setup

IMGP0140_sm.thumb.jpg.9b5db4fb079e3c5c0a

Excuse the dust, it's sat behind the TV. :laugh:

All in all, about £80 (excluding the wireless dongle).

Weatherwise, it's horrible out there this morning. Each cold, hard drop of rain is a slap in the face.

The radar is suggesting that it should be sleet here, but it's just rain @ 5.2C.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

Talks of something much colder end of Jan, beginning of Feb in the Mod thread. Must. Not. Get. Suckered. In. :crazy:

Anything past 144 hours should be banned lol.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

You can buy 'rescue' kits on eBay and Amazon for phones & watches. I've dropped many a phone in water over the years- a bit of tlc and they've always carried on working.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, MidnightSnow said:

Talks of something much colder end of Jan, beginning of Feb in the Mod thread. Must. Not. Get. Suckered. In. :crazy:

Too late I had a mooch.......its ok they are getting excited about what is not showing on the charts and what could show if x y z fit in place....just in time for winter 16/17 probably :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
39 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Too late I had a mooch.......its ok they are getting excited about what is not showing on the charts and what could show if x y z fit in place....just in time for winter 16/17 probably :D

Problem is x y and z normally equals rain for us :girl_devil:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

Hi Guys,

As this is my quiet corner and this is totally un weather related - I have a very annoying  problem ............

After being a member on this site for a lot of years, all of a sudden (since web site was updated a few months ago) I cannot register a "member post vote". 

Can someone shed any light on this please ????????

Posted
4 hours ago, MidnightSnow said:

Totally agree. Too many coldies on the MOD thread are constantly reaching out into the depths of far FI searching for the outcome that they want to see. I have to applaud their supreme optimism but sadly for those of us that not experienced enough to read the charts their misguided optimism always leads to our disappointment and understandable pessimism. All hopecasters should be banned lol. A lot of their posts are totally misleading.

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, Sonnia said:

Hi Guys,

As this is my quiet corner and this is totally un weather related - I have a very annoying  problem ............

After being a member on this site for a lot of years, all of a sudden (since web site was updated a few months ago) I cannot register a "member post vote". 

Can someone shed any light on this please ????????

Hello Sonnia,

Bang the question in here -->

Try clearing you cache first though (or try another browser), 'cos that might be the first response.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Cloudy and drizzly all day.  2.3mm before midnight, 8.4mm today.

Currently:
Temp: 5.8°C - Hum: 85% - Bar:  1012.08hPa - Wind:  ESE @ 6mph

Posted

Wow, what a snowfest. Precipitation for 10-11 hours on a stalled front in January, who could have wished for anything more.

Oh I know the temperatures needed to be 6C lower, that might have helped my dream:doh:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Could be a fair bit of ice around these parts (CS England) by tomorrow morning, as skies have cleared and temps are dropping smartly while it's still wet on the ground with plenty of standing water. GFS suggests a min of around -1 to -2*C for most inland, but high-res models drop as low as -4, even -5*C in places. Past experience tells me GFS can be a bit rubbish with light winds and clear skies following rain... something to do with how it handles the moisture transport between land and air.

Thinking about possible ice rink scenarios, I was surprised to see that the local stream had burst its banks again after what was maybe 6 hours of mostly light rain and 3 hours of drizzle. Groundwater levels must be as high as they can go! The small park that was flooded could be the scene of some sheet ice, which would be fun/dangerous.

It really has been difficult to even get some proper stretches of ice here these past few years. Obviously that's great in terms of road safety but out on the fields I have missed the crunch of thick 'groundwater ice' underfoot.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

Thanks jtay ....

Done that just waiting for a response now .

Posted
7 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Temps already below zero here.

Likewise here....already temp of -1c and dewpoint -3c.

Expect you'll be getting a fair bit lower than that in Benson Frosty hollows.