Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Damp. Drizzle.  Fog.   2,9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Loving this drizzle we are having right now, been like it all morning. Way better than snow and cold or cold and dry the rest of the  country are getting...............  NOT

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp

Misty start here then lifting and now drizzle turning to something heavier but still fighting to stay rain, only 2c but not no real sleet or snow yet. Think I'm on the battle line between the colder weather/ snow north and rain further south according to the snow radar :-(

Posted

Drizzle for most of the morning here although now have sleet with occasional flake, wind is from the East and temp currently 1.8C

Posted

Yup, all but stopped here and temp gone back up to 2.1C. I reckon where you get the heavier precip it may turn to snow.

Posted

It's that cold my personal weather station reading 8.8c!!! So the cold snap never made it here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I think late evening Tuesday into the early hours of Wednesday could still throw out a possible surprise when colder air digs back west under any ppn but then I might be clutching at straws now. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Cloudy and drizzly. On what was supposed to be the coldest spell of weather since 2013, it didn't get below 3°C this morning.

And this says it all.. The same day last year

chart.thumb.png.9ba8c35bb467a2bcd0162baa

Temp: 7.8°C - Hum: 88% - Bar:  1023.93hPa - Wind: ESE @ 7mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
19 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Cloudy and drizzly. On what was supposed to be the coldest spell of weather since 2013, it didn't get below 3°C this morning.

And this says it all.. The same day last year

chart.thumb.png.9ba8c35bb467a2bcd0162baa

Temp: 7.8°C - Hum: 88% - Bar:  1023.93hPa - Wind: ESE @ 7mph

Careful you don't slip on any ice out there! :D

Not as warm back home but still mild enough. 3.6c

• Like 1

Posted

I love this cold high pressure days, when everything i still, the sun is shining gloriously, the morning frost is just lifting as the air warms, and the grass sparkles. 

Oh shoot, now I remember that WAS supposed to be the weekend wasn't it?

Oh well, just goes to shows living you life in the MOD lane can be dangerous.

Reality, is, it's sh!te.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, kingdogleash said:

glad I held back on my new weather station now, nothing exciting about posting average readings! If GP's torpedo looks like hitting its target I may still pop to maplins or Amazon (all hail the prime!)

I would still purchase one! Great fun to analyse your weather stats, no matter what the weather is doing.
Anything in particular you've got your eye on? I've got pretty good experience with most stations, as I've had many. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
5 minutes ago, geoffw said:

did bristol have snow last night?

Nah it wasn't even a wintry mix. Just good old cold rain, my favourite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I would still purchase one! Great fun to analyse your weather stats, no matter what the weather is doing.
Anything in particular you've got your eye on? I've got pretty good experience with most stations, as I've had many. :)

I'm looking at buying one but really don't know where to start. Could you suggest one that gives good value for money and of course accurate readings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Been out with the dogs, it's blinking horrible out there..... temperature of 2c with wall to wall drizzle and murk, oh the joys of living on top of a big hill when the cloud base is low.

Posted

Best cold spell ever this, two frosts, a bit of rain followed by drizzle, lasted all of 2 days. I think it beats 2010 by far. This will take some beating this one. :cold::rofl:

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, John88B said:

I'm looking at buying one but really don't know where to start. Could you suggest one that gives good value for money and of course accurate readings.

Agree with the man from the sub tropical climate, it is good to be able to watch the weather in depth. Suggest you interest, as I'm sure with Mapantz and others we have most of then=m covered from as "Should I". First thing is what do want to do, just view, OR webby it?

And of course how many £'s do you want to spend?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Best cold spell ever this, two frosts, a bit of rain followed by drizzle, lasted all of 2 days. I think it beats 2010 by far. This will take some beating this one. :cold::rofl:

And the week clearly shows more rain tomorrow and rain/windy thursday, back into double figures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
5 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Agree with the man from the sub tropical climate, it is good to be able to watch the weather in depth. Suggest you interest, as I'm sure with Mapantz and others we have most of then=m covered from as "Should I". First thing is what do want to do, just view, OR webby it?

And of course how many £'s do you want to spend?

Just view it I s'pose. I'd be looking at spending a max of about £500. Could I get anything decent at that price? And of course if there was something a lot cheaper that anyone would recommend I'd look in to it. Thanks for your help.

Posted
13 minutes ago, John88B said:

As DB said, it comes down to £££. The Netatmo station is good, but it does become pricey when adding on the anemometer and rain gauge. Not only that, you might have to invest a small bit of time and effort in to making a cheap Stevenson screen, as the outside module can be volatile. I made one out of a nest box and a PC fan- gives pretty accurate readings now.

There are also the Ambient weather station clones (I have the 1001 wireless version) I say clones, they are actually identical, companies buy them and stick their own label on them. I find it pretty good, and you get a whole array of sensors. The only downside is that they are all on one unit, so if you want good wind readings, you're likely to compromise rain readings in strong winds. It's no different than the Vantage Vue in that department, and you'd be paying £300 + for that (without a data logger)

Any of the maplins stations £60 - £150 are worth getting. Data logging is a relevant question, as you can hook it up to a PC and use Weather Display or Cumulus, that will then create a web page with past data to view.
The 1001 station I use, has a 4GB data logger built in- doesn't sound like much, but it can log 66 million data points, that's probably 10+ years worth of data. It connects to WiFi and uploads to Wunderground (need a free ID) every 16 seconds.
Funnily enough, I think I have found a hack in the stations firmware to allow me to input my own web servers details, which means I can have my data show on my website every 16 seconds, like Wunderground. I'm gonna experiment with that later on, see if if I can get that working.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

I really do feel everyone's pain.....it was supposed to be a lovely cold and frosty weekend and we end up with imby a one frost and then 6C and pathetic drizzle.....until the gfs screams of the next ice age at T+12hrs then someone come and wake me from my snow starved hibernation..:cold::cold::wallbash:

Posted

The only good thing about this cold spell for me was getting a picture of the Waxing Crescent on the 14th! :-)

IMG_0049-1.jpg 

• Like 5