Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here you go, Kate...Seeing as you asked so nicely!:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
57 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Well, yes. Just a figure of speech from a bygone age! I'll have the 5 million candle "man-torch" to hand.

High_power_torch.jpg

haha - I had the 18 million CP version of that. Funnily enough, I bought this just before xmas..

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

haha - I had the 18 million CP version of that. Funnily enough, I bought this just before xmas..

Wow - that would light up the blizzards like it was daytime!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

LOL!!  Guess the hint of snow brings us all out.  It's Gloucesters turn this year (I hope)!

• Like 1

Posted

I've only just realised that the MetOffice have put a yellow warning out for rain for parts of our region. Some of the charts indicating 20 to 25mm in places.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Didn't release we had gone back a month looking at the title of the thread. So with the cold so close you make us have to relive the insane mild mush of December! You are a cruel man! :nonono:

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

See that from here like a beacon over the Purbecks.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I've only just realised that the MetOffice have put a yellow warning out for rain for parts of our region. Some of the charts indicating 20 to 25mm in places.

Looking a damp 4 days down here.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

Looking a damp 4 days down here.

Yep! I'm glad I've got a website up and running now, with lots of useless data to look at lol

It will be good to add some very cold stats to it though, such as dew points/wind chills. I do like a good stat! :blink2:

Posted

Never mind all those fancy charts telling that have spawned WW3 on the MOD thread, it's bloody freezing out tonight.( OK slightly exaggerated.. it's 5 slight breeze from SE. )

Posted

In another world entirely to all the hype and hopes for significant cold/snow it is a pretty balmy morning at 9.3c with dry conditions now after heavy rain for much of the night, including some very stormy sounding wind gusts in the early hours.

Posted

Mornin' all, well that was another good soaking last night, can we turn off the taps now please?

Currently:

Temp  10.6°C

DP  9.8°C 

RH 95%

Rainfall  13.4 mm

Wind 8.1mph  S

977.2 mb  Rising Slowly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Dry start after overnight showers

Temp 10.9c

Posted

Partly cloudy and very windy. Temp 7.5C with the wind WNW 30mph gusting 55.

EDIT

Currently A moderate rain shower.

Regarding the cold spell nothing as yet resolved as expected except the odds on there being one remain good. The excitement this morning is with the ecm that has a deep depression tracking from the SW and nipping across southern Britain on Thursday. It would bring gales and very strong winds if it materialised in this manner not counting heavy snowfalls from Devon through to the Midlands and Wales. Of course there is bound to be changes to this scenarion in the next few days and just to mention the METO isn't buying it at the moment. With the upper trough away to the south west there is always the possibility that it will nip into France. I can't post the interim ecm charts but the one for T192.

ecm_mslp_uv850_eur_9.thumb.png.1852be79c

Edited by knocker

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

Partly cloudy and very windy. Temp 7.5C with the wind WNW 30mph gusting 55.

Regarding the cold spell nothing as yet resolved as expected except the odds on there being one remain good. The excitement this morning is with the ecm that has a deep depression tracking from the SW and nipping across southern Britain on Thursday. It would bring gales and very strong winds if it materialised in this manner not counting heavy snowfalls from Devon through to the Midlands and Wales. Of course there is bound to be changes to this scenarion in the next few days and just to mention the METO isn't buying it at the moment. With the upper trough away to the south west there is always the possibility that it will nip into France. I can't post the interim ecm charts but the one for T192.

ecm_mslp_uv850_eur_9.thumb.png.1852be79c

It would be nice to see that drop about 50miles further south, to be a "true channel low", then we all might appreciate it, rather than the northern flank. As always the track is a wait and see affair. But just a small squeeze south please:whistling:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Feeling rather mild this morning, very wet under foot after the overnight rain. Its looking like showers are inbound

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Was mild overnight with rain against the window on a few occasions, but another lovely bright and sunny day now if much breezier than yesterday, and also cooling down - now 6.8C after an overnight high of 10.5! Colder air moving in...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Hi everyone, as the "excitement" of will it/won't it happen builds... I'm back! Hope you've all had a good Christmas and New Year, I see Mullender is enjoying himself! Wow! That is chilly :cold:.

liking the forum upgrade for mobile users too! 

So, are we looking at Tuesday for the beginning of the cold? 

Posted
58 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Hi Nick, just been speaking to our snow portal service, they think that low just off the south of England to engage the colder air to the north may well go further south now, possibly into Northern France with  snow risk increasing across Southern England. All in all this would be the best option to prolong or even increase the cold. Western Alpine regions should have some good snowsfall early next week and transferring to the Eastern Alps later. We have forecast here of 50cm fresh snow by Friday am. Looking good, with the jet now going below 50N and there it best stays. Best see where tonights charts plot develop that snow potential for Southern England .

C

Just picking this out of the MOD thread, before it gets lost in all the excitement over there. It's from Carinthian, who's based in Austria and relates to a tasty looking low that the ECM has scooting across England next Friday...

First up... It's for next Thurs/Friday, so a million miles away at the moment.

However, we ought to keep an eye on it to see if the modelling falls in line with the thoughts of C's snow portal service. The shift is what we want to see for action down here, otherwise we'll just get very soggy. See NS's response below too, which backs up why we want to see it shift south.

56 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes the more southerly low track will correlate with a better block to the nw. Unfortunately this won't please everyone because historically sustained cold in these types of set ups has low pressure tracking as you say in northern France and effecting more southern areas. The further north the low gets would be indicative of the block further west and possibly weaker.

• Like 2

Posted

A period of moderate rain before midnight yesterday, but it was extremely wet early this morning!  Station at 4.5m recorded 21.1mm. Station at 1.5m recorded 22.9mm, and the manual gauge had 23mm. Either way, a fair bit of rain fell!

75.2mm for the month- 7 out of 7 rain days.

chart.thumb.png.575ac9b2458d3888c61a247d

Currently sunny, but windy- feeling cold in the strong winds too.

Temp: 8.8°C - Hum:  55% - Dewp: -0.3 °C - Bar: 990.74hPa Rising slowly. - Wind:  19mph (gusting to 30mph) @ WNW

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

And there is the possibility that it will of course track far too south and hit northern France, as we only know too well..

• Like 1