Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Cluster

Current Cold Spell: snow where, snow when - how much?

Recommended Posts

It will snow at some point, somewhere, in the UK over the next two weeks. You heard it here first :wink: (I know, I know, such daring predictions are dangerous).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Finally

 

MOD thread was being flooded with  unrelevant posts and MODS weren't doing owt about it!!

That's because we are owt Jedi...Now let's see how many folks bother using it?:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ed Stone said:

That's because we are owt Jedi...Now let's see how many folks bother using it?:D

lol well I will use it! :p

 

Certainly is an exciting time to be a coldie right now!

I think people get excited with cold charts even more because of what we had in 2010 that was an epic event in itself!

 

It would be nice to see something like that again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that cold down where i am, according to the net weather forcast it`ll be 5 degrees on 15th. Warm waters must be modifying the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its not snow its storms..... wait for the ramps and moans when it doesn't happen.... have have odds on with one fella on here who will moan like mad if he doesn't get more than 5"'s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this thread has put the kibosh on that.:nonono:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BM4PM said:

Not that cold down where i am, according to the net weather forcast it`ll be 5 degrees on 15th. Warm waters must be modifying the air.

It's dropped quite cold here in S'Yorks  currently 6C but feeling colder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However much of the white stuff materializes, there will be a little corner of Scotland that stays dire and vile.:drunk-emoji:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Flash Elvis said:

If its not snow its storms..... wait for the ramps and moans when it doesn't happen.... have have odds on with one fella on here who will moan like mad if he doesn't get more than 5"'s

Those sorts of forecasts aren't always the most accurate though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, saint said:

It will snow at some point, somewhere, in the UK over the next two weeks. You heard it here first :wink: (I know, I know, such daring predictions are dangerous).

God i wish people would stop cold ramping all the time! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair though, model output and how much snow are intrinsically linked as what will most on netweather be using for guidance on trying to work out where when and how much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody requesting advice on will it snow in their location, really needs to give their head a wobble.

Surely we all know by now that you get the cold in place and then see what happens. Unexpected snow events are the best kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

lol well I will use it! :p

 

Certainly is an exciting time to be a coldie right now!

I think people get excited with cold charts even more because of what we had in 2010 that was an epic event in itself!

 

It would be nice to see something like that again

to be honest 2010 wasn't that brilliant in terms of snowfall in the east midlands. I think it was more the intensity of cold that it will be remembered for.  Winter 2009 and early 2010 and 2011/12 were far more memorable in terms of snowfall though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Here y'all go...

Ed, i think i need to ask the most important question at a time like this... Will it snow in Carlisle? :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meto update today is so disapointing, i can only assume they are basing this brief cold interlude on the ecm op run,im afraid now as they are the pros, wat a kick in the wotsits. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Meto update today is so disapointing, i can only assume they are basing this brief cold interlude on the ecm op run,im afraid now as they are the pros, wat a kick in the wotsits. :(

From the met update:

There is now an increased signal for a brief much colder spell around the middle of next week with widespread overnight frosts. There is likely to be a mixture of sunshine and showers, with the showers falling as sleet or snow to low levels in the north, and perhaps also in the south. Towards the end of next week unsettled and sometimes windy weather with mainly westerly winds may become re-established, although there is some uncertainty.

Uncertainty from the met on a return to westerlys can only be a good thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tynevalleysnow said:

From the met update:

Uncertainty from the met on a return to westerlys can only be a good thing!

They do go on to talk about further cold spells in the next section too though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

UK Outlook for Thursday 21 Jan 2016 to Thursday 4 Feb 2016:

The strongest signal for the period is generally unsettled conditions with winds mainly coming from the west. Showers or longer spells of rain are expected, interspersed by some dry and brighter interludes. The rain being heaviest and most persistent in the north and west where rainfall totals are likely to be above average. The south and east should be more sheltered, getting the best of the drier and brighter interludes, so rainfall totals here may by slightly below average. Temperatures through this period should be near or a little above average for most areas, but further cold spells are possible.

 

As discussed above!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, i luv snow said:

They do go on to talk about further cold spells in the next section too though..

All positive I'd say. Pre 2010 updates said similar. Will know better by the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Here y'all go...

Oh you are a wag Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tynevalleysnow said:

From the met update:

There is now an increased signal for a brief much colder spell around the middle of next week with widespread overnight frosts. There is likely to be a mixture of sunshine and showers, with the showers falling as sleet or snow to low levels in the north, and perhaps also in the south. Towards the end of next week unsettled and sometimes windy weather with mainly westerly winds may become re-established, although there is some uncertainty.

Uncertainty from the met on a return to westerlys can only be a good thing!

On the optimistic side, though, it looks to all-intents-and-purposes to be a non-updated copy of yesterday's update??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There must be a chance of a snowfall event by T120, going by recent UKMO charts - and I'm thinking for, say, 50% of the country. Tonight's charts will be very interesting!!

I couldn't be more specific than that - indeed, I don't feel I could be particularly specific until at least Saturday!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the 16-30 day METO forecast text was only updated on Mondays and Fridays?x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Spring warmth and sunshine this weekend but we've got to stay at home

    In normal times we'd be talking about the excellent timing of the sunshine and warmth coming through at the weekend. But of course,a0these aren't normal times, so even though temperatures could get to 20-21c in places tomorrow, we're all going to have to enjoy it from home. Read the full update here

    Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

    Weather forecasting concerns as number of aircraft observations plummet

    Changes in the weather world as observations reduce from aircraft and on land in the time of global pandemic. Less initial data to input into the computer models. AMDAR AIREP Read more here

    Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...