Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the Scottish Mountains.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

:D

• Like 4

Posted

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

There should be tons more snow on the Scottish Mountains over the remainder of February, March and well into April this year if my Spring forecast is even remotely correct - there could be several metres of the white stuff atop the Cairngorms and Ben Nevis by the end of next month with drifts in some of the east-facing corries upwards of 30 metres deep. With cold conditions at that altitude at 57N likely to persist until June (it will if my forecast is even half-right) it looks certain that a few of the biggest and deepest drifts in these mountain corries will persist throughout the summer and right through until the first big snowfalls of next winter hit the high Cairngorms and Ben Nevis around late October!! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

@Polar Maritime ; Very nice snow scenes of Ben Nevis - just my sort of weather! 

• Like 1

Posted

All the Scottish resorts are reporting fresh snowfall overnight which continues to fall.

First pic from Cairngorm this morning, 3-4 inches has fallen since 4am.

Second picture from Glenshee taken yesterday.

12705471_965819253511593_8994167616365584992_n.jpg

12705157_786402618130595_5469594252355958036_n.jpg

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

All the Scottish resorts are reporting fresh snowfall overnight which continues to fall.

First pic from Cairngorm this morning, 3-4 inches has fallen since 4am.

Second picture from Glenshee taken yesterday.

12705471_965819253511593_8994167616365584992_n.jpg

12705157_786402618130595_5469594252355958036_n.jpg

Looks fantastic! I'm heading up Saturday morning looks like Glenshee is now catching up. Weather look great all next week!

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, iapennell said:

There should be tons more snow on the Scottish Mountains over the remainder of February, March and well into April this year if my Spring forecast is even remotely correct - there could be several metres of the white stuff atop the Cairngorms and Ben Nevis by the end of next month with drifts in some of the east-facing corries upwards of 30 metres deep. With cold conditions at that altitude at 57N likely to persist until June (it will if my forecast is even half-right) it looks certain that a few of the biggest and deepest drifts in these mountain corries will persist throughout the summer and right through until the first big snowfalls of next winter hit the high Cairngorms and Ben Nevis around late October!! 

I hope you're right, I was up at Cairngorm mountain on Tuesday and there wasn't that much snow. Around the Ptarmigan restaurant, which sits around 3500 feet ASL, there was around a meter at most, further down the mountain much much less. Certainly over the next 4-5 days more snow is being forecast for some of the Scottish ski centres so your forecast is off to a good start.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Snow Dayz said:

Looks fantastic! I'm heading up Saturday morning looks like Glenshee is now catching up. Weather look great all next week!

Just off the phone with Glenshee and they're reporting that it's snowing at present, 14 lifts will run today and more snow is being forecast in the coming days. Glenshee didn't catch the recent snowfall that Cairngorm did this morning and they did say some of the runs were thin and narrow in places. Its been snowing on the hills around the house this morning, 300m ASL+, and tomorrow the forecast is for snow to lower levels. I suspect Glenshee might get a fair dump Friday morning.

I'm planning to head over the Glenshee tomorrow for a days snowboarding, i'll post pictures tomorrow evening to give you a feel for current conditions. The Glenshee webcam is still showing images from yesterday.

12705171_786402624797261_4790499397014688028_n.jpg

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

Just off the phone with Glenshee and they're reporting that it's snowing at present, 14 lifts will run today and more snow is being forecast in the coming days. Glenshee didn't catch the recent snowfall that Cairngorm did this morning and they did say some of the runs were thin and narrow in places. Its been snowing on the hills around the house this morning, 300m ASL+, and tomorrow the forecast is for snow to lower levels. I suspect Glenshee might get a fair dump Friday morning.

I'm planning to head over the Glenshee tomorrow for a days snowboarding, i'll post pictures tomorrow evening to give you a feel for current conditions. The Glenshee webcam is still showing images from yesterday.

12705171_786402624797261_4790499397014688028_n.jpg

I look forward to the update! I leave London at 4am sat to drive up, may not get to the slopes until Monday as maybe tired Sunday! but can't wait, I took a gamble booking the lodge about 5 weeks ago so looks like I picked the perfect week!

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Snow Dayz said:

I look forward to the update! I leave London at 4am sat to drive up, may not get to the slopes until Monday as maybe tired Sunday! but can't wait, I took a gamble booking the lodge about 5 weeks ago so looks like I picked the perfect week!

Monday the 15th looks like interesting for the east and west highlands. Strong northerly airflow, frequent snow showers to the north best of the sunshine in the south, severe windchill. Looking good!

Met Office have issued yellow weather warnings for snow for four regions in Scotland. Tomorrows route to Glenshee takes me through Braemar which is forecast to receive heavy snowfall. Will make for an interesting journey......

Edited by Norrona2015
Update
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Norrona2015 said:

Monday the 15th looks like interesting for the east and west highlands. Strong northerly airflow, frequent snow showers to the north best of the sunshine in the south, severe windchill. Looking good!

Met Office have issued yellow weather warnings for snow for four regions in Scotland. Tomorrows route to Glenshee takes me through Braemar which is forecast to receive heavy snowfall. Will make for an interesting journey......

Probably best follow a snow plough!! Good Luck and enjoy the snow!!

Posted

The Cairngorms in mid-winter can certainly be dramatic.  I have been on them myself on various holidays that I have had over the last twenty years.  Certainly if I had more spare time I would visit them more often, yet should the most dire warmist predictions of Anthropogenic Global Warming play out I may have to have my holidays in Arctic Norway to get my annual "Snowy Fix" by the time I am 85!!

Posted

It's looking stunning up there this morning, A busy weekend on the slopes coming up..

Posted
On 11 February 2016 at 9:35 AM, Snow Dayz said:

Not a bad day up at Glenshee, feeling cold at -8*C at the carpark with the occasional snow shower passing through. The best conditions are higher up as the Glenshee website states although even the high up the runs are thin and narrow in places. 

Glenshee could really use a few days of heavy snow, as could all of the Scottish centres.

On balance I would say conditions at Cairngorm on Tuesday were better than Glenshee today.

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrona2015 said:

Not a bad day up at Glenshee, feeling cold at -8*C at the carpark with the occasional snow shower passing through. The best conditions are higher up as the Glenshee website states although even the high up the runs are thin and narrow in places. 

Glenshee could really use a few days of heavy snow, as could all of the Scottish centres.

On balance I would say conditions at Cairngorm on Tuesday were better than Glenshee today.

Cheers for that! we are all loaded and ready to roll a 4am! heavy snow on radar in  Glenshee at the moment!! so hopefully things will improve. Cairngorm another option weather set cold all week just need a bit more snow!! 

• Like 2

Posted

Cheers for that! we are all loaded and ready to roll a 4am! heavy snow on radar in  Glenshee at the moment!! so hopefully things will improve. Cairngorm another option weather set cold all week just need a bit more snow!! 

This should please, webcam feed Braemar snow gate up to Glenshee:

http://braemarscotland.co.uk/snowgate-webcam/

Have a great holiday!

• Like 2

Posted

Stunning up in the Back Corries :D

• Like 2

Posted

Snow gates closed at Braemar due to drifting snow, expected to open later this morning. A night of heavy  snow has transformed Glenshee according to the website.

Cold up Cairngorm, -28*C with windchill, reduced uplift expected to start at 9am.

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted
On 12/02/2016 at 7:37 PM, Polar Maritime said:

Stunning up in the Back Corries :D

@Polar Maritime. Certainly some fantastic snow conditions in the Cairngorms at present and very low temperatures: Some lovely photos on this site! It's just a shame that we don't get such conditions much more widely across the country with any frequency in current winters!! 

Posted

Posted

Heavy snowfall last night at elevation has led to some sizeable dumping's over the Scottish Mountains and with the up-coming cold spell just round the corner it wont be going anywhere fast.

Posted
On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:34 AM, Norrona2015 said:

Snow gates closed at Braemar due to drifting snow, expected to open later this morning. A night of heavy  snow has transformed Glenshee according to the website.

Cold up Cairngorm, -28*C with windchill, reduced uplift expected to start at 9am.

I had great Holiday! here are a couple of pictures from Glenshee on the 15th the snow was perfect, the wind dropped of in the afternoon, it doesn't get better than this!!

IMG_20160215_141628.jpg

IMG_20160215_144609.jpg

IMG_20160215_145020.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

A couple from the last few days. 

Firstly at Cairngorm on Friday afternoon. 

cairngormpano.thumb.jpg.7127c871e3ba9ddd cairngorm2.thumb.jpg.e434c77dc5f17f419e3

Then at Nevis range yesterday (Saturday)

nevis1.thumb.jpg.91a98568c85b7d49ed0d46c nevis2.thumb.jpg.294d3e3a84a30a357fba99c

Not bad up here at the moment :D 

• Like 3