Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the Scottish Mountains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Posted
20 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I would have thought that the most objective measure of Climate Change would be an increase in the altitude at which the heaviest snowfalls are recorded (somewhere close to the freezing-level?)... and, of course, of the snowline?:unsure2:

And, when that altitude-of-maximum-snow rises above that of the ski resorts...it'll be curtains?!:oldsad:

Pretty much, that's why were seeing a lot of diversification into other sports, mountain biking being a prime example.

• Like 2

Posted

It's snowing (showers) in NW Scotland now. Showers offshore are showing as sleet at sea level so it must be snow down to a fairly low level. Showers on northerlies are predicted into Tuesday so one would imagine there could be a several places reach modest accumulations on higher ground and some chilly nights in the glens.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Aleman said:

It's snowing (showers) in NW Scotland now. Showers offshore are showing as sleet at sea level so it must be snow down to a fairly low level. Showers on northerlies are predicted into Tuesday so one would imagine there could be a several places reach modest accumulations on higher ground and some chilly nights in the glens.

Not unusual for the Cairngorms at this time of year, I've seen impressive snowfall up there in June/July 2001.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Thought I would drop this in here as well - quite a few snowy scenes at the moment in a few resorts.

Glencoe the best for me!

flypaper.jpeg
WWW.GLENCOEMOUNTAIN.CO.UK

Click to refresh the page Click a thumbnail to view larger webcam view  or scroll down for slideshow.

210C752B-6D92-4A60-A6AB-994D38322B0A.thumb.jpeg.a3e5663ab7a9e6f6ce0469f20b6a6902.jpegB0519E25-B8D2-4419-9AD5-8E6E985BAD7D.thumb.jpeg.81bca05e3d793e5af7ac792da5dbf1f8.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes looking nice and fresh up there today with the tops having fresh snow cover.

Screenshot_20191025_110142_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.a562b892e4fcf1275745c3927d534d66.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Meall Greigh from near Kenmore, Loch Tay this morning. Snowline starts at approx 1500 feet.

CDC4C16D-A298-4F9A-B5C1-C5E12F923573.jpeg

Another from same area. Schiehallion's top in the back ground.

322DBAA8-C66F-436F-9461-2A17EF44948D.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Norrance said:

Meall Greigh from near Kenmore, Loch Tay this morning. Snowline starts at approx 1500 feet.

CDC4C16D-A298-4F9A-B5C1-C5E12F923573.jpeg

Another from same area. Schiehallion's top in the back ground.

322DBAA8-C66F-436F-9461-2A17EF44948D.jpeg

Great pics, how do I find this swimming pool/hot tub with views like that?? :O

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
24 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Great pics, how do I find this swimming pool/hot tub with views like that??

It is Taymouth Marina just outside Kenmore at the East end of Loch Tay. 

https://www.facebook.com/taymouthmarina/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARDFK9RULVO-UyicDVhm4d_hNOCTJPed3bjOksERRxyCCN33tsm6P2CNoK0gkM3tt_zSu-nBT2-j3Y2M&hc_ref=ARTwYjC5z1HTvLXNaAKAN-OsCIwAbIDW49UEMJMFiVI-toZKT_f5Vby5NTDun25EXKo&fref=nf&hc_location=group

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Mountains round here now have a covering of snow, nice to see! 

Posted

For anyone interested Iain Cameron made it to the Garbh Coire of Braeriach today in atrocious conditions to check the remaining snow patches. He found by digging through the snow that the Sphinx patch survived but it was on its own. 

With more snow due hopefully this is lasting for the prone areas.

Meanwhile further South in Perthshire here is a view across Loch Tay to Tarmachan and the SW part of the Lawers range and another towards Glenlyon.

411B7833-6644-429A-8365-D930D7DDE829.jpeg

571F8FA3-9B66-40C1-B992-6468DAA76E78.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted

Early starts to the Scottish skiing season.

17 th Oct 1991 - Cairngorm.

Halloween 2008 - The Lecht.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes it's looking good high up.

Screenshot_20191030_180830_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.2cb9b4bb2d2e5a02c913cf57eca35fba.jpgScreenshot_20191030_181336_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.672a3611267cc0d6587b2da5a999ee46.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
HTATXC.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

The Sphinx on Braeriach mountain in the Cairngorms, Scotland, has narrowly avoided melting for the third consecutive year.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Taken from Snow-forecasts  World snow overview.

"Scotland's hills are white once again after more fresh snow has fallen over the past few days and nights. The centre's operators are keen to stress that whilst it's looking promising at this stage, it's still early days in terms of reaching reliable snow cover in order to be able to open. That said several areas have also been firing up their snowmaking systems after a prolonged period of cold, often sub-zero temperatures have persisted, unusually for this time of year.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted
8 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

What a beautiful view over Loch Ericht, taken from Geal Charn (18th November):

1004070315_LochElricht.thumb.jpg.ccc47723c8f35ecf36b1d17aab0759d5.jpg

Photo: Twitter @walkhighlands

Yes that is a really stunning photograph

• Like 1

Posted

Recent information on the beleaguered Cairngorm funicular.

_107741646_funcone.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The Cairngorms mountain railway has "widespread minor deficiencies", according to an engineers report.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Glencoe opened yesterday for skiing and there should be more snow for the Highlands in coming days.

Here is a photo of the Lawers range from the South today.

223CFD06-9582-4100-B654-126B9A423CF7.jpeg

and one from the SE yesterday with the snow line a bit further down around 150 mtrs asl.

191E97A8-E71D-4E8D-80E1-2CBA1DCA128C.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted

Ben Lomond today as posted in the regional thread. Cornices building up.

C158B6AB-04BD-4965-AED1-3338229165B5.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
47 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Ben Lomond today as posted in the regional thread. Cornices building up.

C158B6AB-04BD-4965-AED1-3338229165B5.jpeg

I wonder how many idiots go close to the edge. Hopefully the mild spell won't do much damage to the snow there.

• 3 months later...
Posted

Good evening folks, 

Although I spent a fair bit of time following some of the great discussions on here and trying to learn a bit more about weather I rarely post anything myself. There is obviously a fair few people on here that have similar interest in weather, and in particular, in snow as myself. Over the past year or so I have seen a couple of my photos posted here, for example the picture of Easy Gully with the first proper snow of the winter in it back at the end of October last year, or the picture of the big cornice from last February.

IMG_0080.thumb.jpg.085b540ce6efed85ab25a8f989f31919.jpg

Below is what Aonach Mor was looking like last Friday (20th March).

IMGP4233.thumb.JPG.ef8ae2992f9effb8a1ce3b690818638d.JPG

I hope you don't mind a wee bit of self promotion, but I have just written piece on snow cover in Lochaber (with a number of nice snowy shots) that some of you might enjoy, particularly as we can't really get to the hills at the moment. I have also written some stuff of my time earlier this year working as field guide on the International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration in Antarctica, a project that got a fair amount of media coverage. These can all be found here;

BLAIRFYFFE.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hope it provides you some interest/entertainment or at least a pleasant distraction for everything else which is going on at the moment. 

Blair 

• Like 6