Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the Scottish Mountains.

Posted

The forecasted change to more mobile atlantic airstreams, should fingers crossed bring some welcome snowfall to scottish ski resorts next week, there will be some marked warm/cold sectors, some decent freeze thaw action, and no really warm uppers leading to rapid thaw.

The Lakeland Hills are bare of snow, its been a very poor winter so far on the snowfall front, late Nov brought some decent early snow cover with the local ski tow on Raise open for a number of days, traditionally February is the best month for sustained snow cover, and March can provide many a snowy day on the fells, this is also the case for Scotland, so plenty of winter left, indeed not yet quite half way stage in terms of winter season on high ground, roughly mid Nov-late April (second week Feb roughly half way mark just in time for half term).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Hopefully it works out that way @damianslawas the ski resorts badly need it.

My son is due to go to Glenshee with the school for 4 days on Feb 6th and at the moment it's not looking as if they'll be skiing. Not a major problem for him, he's lucky that his mum & dad ski and he gets to go to the Alps so he's becoming a competent skier. They have 'alternative activities' apparently if they can't ski.

It's a shame for his classmates though, and possibly the loss of some of the next generation of skiers. I doubt I'd be a skier if I hadn't went with my school 30 odd years ago as neither of my parents skied. This might be the best chance some of the kids ever get to learn and develop 'the bug'.

I'm thinking of trying to help by taking the roofbox back off the car this weekend, as that was put on to hold the skis when we headed off to the airport to fly to Serre Chevalier just after Xmas. I'd left it on hoping to need it for a few day trips in Scotland. Maybe if I take it off (allowing me to run my filthy car through a car wash) it'll snow. :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

There must have been a decent fall today at least in the Eastern Highlands. Here at sea level it has rained all day with sleet and wet snow at times. Precipitation steady since lunch and the day's top temp 2C.  Road camera on Braemar side shows heavy snow. 

Posted

Roof box is off so let it snow, which it could do this week. Problem is the milder blip around Tuesday. 

Posted

Great to see the Atlantic coming in hopefully this week the ski resorts get the much needed snow and that sad excuse of a high to the east doesn,t show its face again.

Edited by booferking

Posted

Three climbers have been injured in an avalanche on Ben Nevis.

Police said they had received a call about the accident at about 12:15 on Saturday.

A Coastguard rescue helicopter and members of Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team were sent to the scene.

The three climbers are being treated at Belford Hospital in Fort William for what are thought to be non life threatening injuries, officers said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38869575

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Conditions starting to improve with heavy snow/blizzards above 400m into next week. About time!

Pic from Glencoe webcam.

a.thumb.jpeg.e2610515d3007fae602f85649fd9dba1.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Nevis Range is now open for snow sports at last! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Glenshee has a few lifts running today too, so my son and his school classmates will have been shredding the powder on their school ski trip. OK, all right, it's Scotland so they probably struggled to stay upright in heavy wet snow.

• Like 1

Posted

• Like 1

Posted

I considered a trip to Glenshee today but on balance I decided against it. Just not enough lifts/runs open, combined with possible strong winds and poor visibility put me off. Webcam picture from there seems to be stuck on 8:32 from this morning so no idea if I made the right decision or not.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I considered a trip to Glenshee today but on balance I decided against it. Just not enough lifts/runs open, combined with possible strong winds and poor visibility put me off. Webcam picture from there seems to be stuck on 8:32 from this morning so no idea if I made the right decision or not.

I arrived at a similar decision this morning. Weekend skiing at the Scottish centres can be a queue fest. That and limited runs usually means a frustrating day. I might venture up through the week before milder conditions take hold.

Posted
39 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

I arrived at a similar decision this morning. Weekend skiing at the Scottish centres can be a queue fest. That and limited runs usually means a frustrating day. I might venture up through the week before milder conditions take hold.

If the full area had been open I'd probably have taken my chances and went despite the forecast. The prospect though of standing in a long queue in a bitter wind just to ski Sunnyside repeatedly didn't appeal.  Hopefully there will be better chances before the season ends.

My son and his classmates seemed to have a great time there during the week, he's chuffed with his level 5 badge. A pity they left on Thursday though cos yesterday looked stunning with blue skies and no wind.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Bluebird and fresh snow with Nevis Range now open with forecasts looking good..

FB_IMG_1488217279096.jpg

FB_IMG_1488217266876.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Some excellent conditions to be had on Nevis Range today, Summit Temp currently -2c

FB_IMG_1488708762891.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Nevis Range and others have taken a bit of a beating over the past few days, But up to 30cm forecast over the next 2 days and the outlook for next week also looks promising as colder air from the N/W spills South.

FB_IMG_1489665231095.jpg

Posted

Temp around -5c on Nevis range with snow at all levels this morning.

FB_IMG_1490089558181.thumb.jpg.ae3a762edec6582a850173bd936d71ee.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I'm delighted to say that the annual snow patch paper has been awarded the Gordon Manley prize by the Royal Meteorological Society.

I've been the lead author of this now for a few years, and to have the society commend it for the quality of information and writing is very humbling. Of course, most of the credit goes to Adam Watson, whose pioneering work is the bedrock of present and future study. His excellent writing skills also keeps me on my toes when I submit the draft to him for critiquing! I'm glad to say the red-penning seems to get less every year!

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank all contributors on here, and look forward to getting more superb notes and images over the summer and beyond. The quality of the information that has gone into recent papers is in large measure down to the increased interest in this fascinating subject.

Thanks to all! Iain Cameron

The Society is delighted to announce the Awards and Prize Winners for 2016 - congratulations to all! 

https://www.rmets.org/announcement-2016-society-awards-and-prizes-winners

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

Fewest avalanches recorded this season for 10 years. Does not bode well for the new snow patch season..

The Scottish Avalanche Information Service (SAIS) has wound up its latest forecasting season with its lowest number of recorded avalanches in almost 10 years.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39258229

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Some great footage of Ben Nevis North Face snow conditions from the 3rd April.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Keen observers on here will have noticed how little snow fell over the winter months on the hills of the UK. Though there remains a reasonable level of cover on hills above 3000 ft (914m), the general consensus is that there's far less than usual. The probability level that all snow will vanish in the Highlands this autumn (summer?) is higher than it's been for quite a few years. Polar Maritime is doing a fine job in keeping everyone updated!

• Like 3

Posted

Still ample time for heavy spring snow well into May though, even here we will often get the worst blizzard of winter in April e.g. 2012 despite a warm March and 20c just days before.

April 5th 2012
6901970668_ff7c485686_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...