Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
4 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Depends where you live. That looks a brilliant chart for Birmingham northwards.

The futility of looking too far ahead. That's not a personal spite against anyone in particular, just an observation. I shall pug that chart away and check it on the 17th to see how near the mark it was :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
2 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

Massive Band of snow For the midlands but not for London :nonono:

h850t850eu.png

Don't stress In weather terms the 17th is an eternity it will look nothing like that on the day. As the old saying goes get the cold locked in first then snow will follow. And all the models agree cold for next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
14 minutes ago, rory o gorman said:

The ukmo doesn't run out to 168 hrs you said all 3 models? , the gfs and ecm have no to toppler with almost full cross polar flow.

I said all three CHARTS referring to the UKMO please read what I said. Anyway lets end this now its clogging up the thread with useless drivel!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I'd advise taking the modeled Chanel low' with regards to engagement non literally. 

By engagement I refer to the eventually point spot..

There notorious to be fickle in nature...and this far out its anyone's guess.

Good set of 12zsuites.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

People in the south west would be wondering what all the fuss was about, ice days in the north and double figures in the SW, 22 degree temp contrast... But I don't think for one second that T288 charts will get anywhere near verification! ECM next.... 

gfs104.thumb.png.1c9a17addb602a7c4922e38

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

:rofl: People over analyzing a single gfs operational run that has absolutely no support from esembles (as there not out yet) or anything!

Take a step back and look at the big picture:

*Yep Greenland high still there!

*Yep turning much colder!

At this stage this is all we can really look into. And I've never known an upcoming big cold spell with no ups or downs, tbh we have been lucky so far there have been absolutely no downgrades yet!

Agreed!...I'm just looking at the GFS 12z from a perspective of longevity compared to recent previous runs.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, West is Best said:

We always get that kind of post when a good cold spell shows up. To be charitable I think it's a kind of reverse psychology: talk it all down, tell yourself that the most stonking charts for some years are really awful, then throw into the mix some 'it will fall as sleet at T489 type posts' and it sets the scene.

It's ever thus.

1060mb Greenland High in gorgeous yellow heights. Bloody nora. Never thought I'd see that showing up. UKMO is stunning. 

Whilst I agree with most of what you say where are you getting a 1060 Greenland high from?

The ukmo has a mid atlantic high that barely ridges towards Greenland. Though of course it may get there if they did a 168 hrs 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..

Posted

I think the GFS op may be a warmer outlier earlier on with the ensembles looking at the mean....Ensemble mean looks slightly better than op, slightly further east 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Another cold run from the GFS with strong heights over Greenland and the Jet way South. A really would not worry at all after day 7, As the models are as unpredictable as they can be at the moment.

a.pngb.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Whilst I agree with most of what you say where are you getting a 1060 Greenland high from?

The ukmo has a mid atlantic high that barely ridges towards Greenland. Though of course it may get there if they did a 168 hrs 

Here....(although it's 1055 here, it's 1060 on the T+180 chart). 

image.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Indeed feb1991 an getting colder at 168

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

HA!   Actually i was looking at the control run!!!!!  sorry people, but based on 200+ IT looks better better ridging into the Arctic regions.

I think the strength and position of the Az low is going to continue chopping and changing quite markedly across the coming 36-48hrs or 6-8 GFS runs, so if your emotions are tied to every twist and turn then your nerves are likely to be shredded by this time on Saturday....:D  For what it's worth I think this run has got the general evolution pretty much sorted, with the milder air likely to move north later next week and across the weekend, but who gets rain/sleet/snow as a result is pure conjecture at this stage, as is exactly where we go after that point. As others have said the big picture is a good if not excellent one for wintry weather, but again it's rare for everyone to come out equal and there will no doubt be some big winners and big losers once again in the upcoming snow lottery.

Posted

6 members of the gfs ensembles have that low affecting our weather by 204 and bringing in mild dross again! and after Fergies tweet this must be where they are struggling with the longevity of the cold. 

Run de controle GEFSPerturbation 1 GEFSPerturbation 2 GEFSPerturbation 3 GEFSPerturbation 4 GEFSPerturbation 5 GEFSPerturbation 6 GEFSPerturbation 7 GEFSPerturbation 8 GEFSPerturbation 9 GEFSPerturbation 10 GEFSPerturbation 11 GEFSPerturbation 12 GEFSPerturbation 13 GEFSPerturbation 14 GEFSPerturbation 15 GEFSPerturbation 16 GEFSPerturbation 17 GEFSPerturbation 18 GEFSPerturbation 19 GEFSPerturbation 20 GEFSMoyenne GEFSEcart type GEFSRun GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
9 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

6 members of the gfs ensembles have that low affecting our weather by 204 and bringing in mild dross again! and after Fergies tweet this must be where they are struggling with the longevity of the cold. 

Run de controle GEFSPerturbation 1 GEFSPerturbation 2 GEFSPerturbation 3 GEFSPerturbation 4 GEFSPerturbation 5 GEFSPerturbation 6 GEFSPerturbation 7 GEFSPerturbation 8 GEFSPerturbation 9 GEFSPerturbation 10 GEFSPerturbation 11 GEFSPerturbation 12 GEFSPerturbation 13 GEFSPerturbation 14 GEFSPerturbation 15 GEFSPerturbation 16 GEFSPerturbation 17 GEFSPerturbation 18 GEFSPerturbation 19 GEFSPerturbation 20 GEFSMoyenne GEFSEcart type GEFSRun GFS

I do not see 6 westerly based scenarios there and they are all cold at 204 could be wrong

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=0&ech=204

EDIT perturbation 7 only

Edited by winterof79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The extent of my technical ability to look for the xciting is limited to the North Atlantic Swan.... When the yellows and oranges over the Atlantic take the form of a North Atlantic Swan flying west while looking back in an easterly direction, then I know something really exciting is brewing!

A few of those gfs ensembles posted by All Aboard look very close to that coming to fruition!! :)

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

I do not see 8 westerly based scenarios there and they are cold

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=0&ech=204

I agree I was talking in reference to the pattern that would evolve from these. Still all to play for but maybe thats why the met are holding off on a long spell as apparently around 20% of ec ens agreed.

If you skip through to 228 you'll see what im talking about :)

Edited by ALL ABOARD

2 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

I agree I was talking in reference to the pattern that would evolve from these. Still all to play for but maybe thats why the met are holding off on a long spell as apparently around 20% of ec ens agreed.

None of what you posted was "Mild Dross", it's all cold.

Plenty of potential with that cut off GH.

• Like 3

Posted

Two things that seem certain from looking at the 12Z runs. Some significant, large scale changes are going to take place next week in the northern hemisphere + FI starts about 96 hours right now.

It will be very interesting to see if the 12Z ECM follows the GFS, UKMO, GEM or perhaps offers another variation. It's great model watching either way.

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Here....(although it's 1055 here, it's 1060 on the T+180 chart). 

image.jpg

It's said ever winter this but you have to be wary of weather modelling over the Greenland plateau. It may show that value but it is likely won't be that.

• Like 1